overhead shots: WEAKNESS POINT FOR 99% of beginning players

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Youngunz_77, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Youngunz_77

Youngunz_77 Regular Member

alright, ive been playing for a couple of years now on and off only 3-4 times a month. and i only get the chance to play every week, and i dont play at all in the summer. ill say im an intermediate player.

i have one big problem with my backhand overhead shots, it seems getting to my rear backhand side is just extremely difficult. and many times i tend to lean towards that area where im able to play proper shots. but it leaves the other areas open. It just seems the shuttle gets there WAY TOO fast sometimes, for my footwork, i often stand in the middle with my strong foot in front anticipating a shot to my backhand side. Sometimes i do get there and i am able to play properly. but majority of times, its the cause of me losing points in games... my rear backhand area.

Do you guys have any tips or pointers that i should keep in mind to keep that area secured?
    did you guys have any drills or anything specific to make the process of moving to that area swifter and easier?

any help or feedback wil be greatly appreciated. ​

2. UncleFester

UncleFester Regular Member

Just do footwork drills, and make sure you do it correctly. Getting around the head can be difficult at times, but as always. Practice, practice and practice.

3. david07

david07 New Member

Student
    work on footwork moving from the middle of the court to your rear-backhand court side. Anticipate it coming and move faster. But it is practice that will ultimately make you better at this.

4. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

Here's how I'd do it as a coach for my trainees:

1. Footwork: Your footwork must be very fluid. Try concentrating on the rotation of your body where you set yourself up from ready position.

2. Practice drills with a partner: Get him to stand at one corner of the net and have him or her rally you around four corners of the court the court randomly. You can ask him or her to start slowly first and as you get used to getting to the four corners and hit the appropriate shot to get the shuttle back to her efficiently and comfortably, try asking him/her to speed up the rally as you see fit. For this drill all you'll be hitting is dropshots and netshots. You should do for the other corner of the court as well because the angling will be different.

Second drill would be for the person to stand at the back half of the court, you can only lift and lob to either corner that he/she is covering as you like, and he/she can only hit dropshots and lobs back to you as he/she likes.

Third drill would be for the person to stand on a SINGLE corner at the back and he/she can lob and dropshot you as he/she likes and you HAVE to control your shots the best you can to get the shuttle back to him/her as accurately as possible. Do for the other corner as well ofcourse.

You can increase the difficulty of the second and third drill by having the person smash at you as well.

5. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    This title seems extremely misleading. Lol.

6. Youngunz_77

lol i thought itd catch attention
    thank you though iwan great feedback
    one more question...? when you have your whole body turned and feet aligned for a shot you put a lot of weight on your strong foot right? or should it be a neutral base?

7. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    When you turn you put your weight on your right foot, then as you swing shift the weight towards your left as you swing to hit it to increase the power.

8. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Perhaps if the shuttle is getting there "too fast" it is quite low and you'd be better to try and cut it off early before it gets there (to the back of the court)? Just an idea!

9. Youngunz_77

thanks phaarix that makes a lot of sense as well

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Look up 'fei bo' in the search function.

11. mkwanster

mkwanster Regular Member

IT System Administrator
    block jump to the left with 'around the head' shot, then jump back to center