Yonex Muscle Power vs. Armortec/Carbonex vs. Nanospeed

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by yotarou, Jan 20, 2008.

1. yotarou

yotarou Regular Member

I am an intermediate/advanced player looking to buy a badminton racquet. I've played on my Varsity badminton team (I'm in high school) for three years now. The highest ranking I've ever attained is no. 2 for both singles and doubles. I would say I'm a power player as I do smash quite a lot, but I still want a racquet that's flexible enough so I can do easily do shots like drops. Right now I'm using a Pro Kennex Ti Carbon 818 but I want a lighter racquet.

I honestly have no idea what the differences are between Muscle Power, Armoretc/Carbonex, and Nanospeed. (Can anyone help me on that one?) I've heard that the Nanospeed 9000 is supposedly the best on the market. But I have a limited budget and I don't want to break bank for a racquet when I still need to buy new shoes.

I've used the lower-end Muscle Powers like 21 and 29, and I am very comfortable with them. But I have no idea how to gauge my level or what kind of racquet I need....

The ones I'm looking at are Muscle Power 85, 99, and 100. But if anyone wants to persuade me on Armortec or Nanospeed, feel free to since I know nothing about either brands or the differences.

Max budget is $200.

2. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

MusclePower 88 might suit you, since it's flexible. However, mostly women/girls use it, not men. MP99 and MP100 are stiff and more expensive, which might not suit your liking. Armortec500 would be another good racquet for you.

Here's my thoughts on the difference between MusclePower, Armortec, Carbonex and Nanospeed:
    -Armortecs are head-heavy, good for offensive players.
    -Nanospeeds are head-light~even-balanced, thus it's good for all-round players. The higher-end models have stiff shafts.
    -MusclePowers are probably the most popular series of racquets, for they're quite comfortable to play with. They come in all shaft flexibility/stiffness and head-heaviness/lightness.
    -Carbonex, they're the classic oval-headed carbon/graphite racquets mainly used by people who just enjoys this sport so much :p

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

3. yotarou

yotarou Regular Member

What do you mean by flexible? Is it easier/harder to snap your wrist in comparison to a stiffer shaft? Also... I'm a girl.

Yeah, I definitely found that playing with Muscle Power is very comfortable. I'd like an MP21/29, except... better? But with the same kind of dynamics.

What about MP45? (I just realized that the MP85 I mentioned in my first post doesn't even exist, lol.) Or MP29 light?

4. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

The shaft flexibility bit is explained here:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40187

If you want something 'better' but 'similar' to the MP21/29L, yes, the MP45/66/88 will do. If you have the chance, you should demo/test those racquets to know which one you find the most comfortable to play with.

5. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    I have the Mp-45 and it is quite a soft racket to play with. Strung at 21lbs clears are quite easy. Drop shots are accurate. It feels a bit heavier than the lower Mp's. It is printed as even balanced but it feels a bit more head heavy. Definitely a racket that needs a developed swing in order to get something out of it.

Edit: Quite disappointingly I feel that for a few more bucks, a higher-end racket will be better. But of course $100 is a good trade off.

6. otterfun

otterfun Regular Member

financial analyst
    I have mp21 and Cab 30ms.

mp21 is nice but the feel and power is not there compared to a Cab30ms. I have both strung at 25# with BG 80.

Go with the Cab 30ms because if you can hit the sweet spot consistently, the power and satisfaction of a good hit is tremendous. In fact, it beats the Armortec 300 and 900T that I tried. But Cab 30 ms is not as mobile around the net as an AT900T.

AT300 is head heavier than Cab 30ms. But i'd go for Cab30ms still.

So IMHO, Cab30ms has the biggest bang for the $, about US$100 strung w/BG80. Also string it with BG80. I love mine at 25#.

1. Cab30ms
    2. AT900T (extremely close second)
    3. AT300
    4. mp21

Sorry did not try the Nanospeed series.

7. jump17

jump17 Regular Member

Try a nanospeed 7000, it's light and flexible, a good overall racket.

8. UncleFester

UncleFester Regular Member

I would not call a ns7000 a flexible racquet, ns6000 however is very flexy.

9. volcom

volcom Regular Member

I would try an Armortec 700 3U, good performance with nice power

10. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    Limited budget?Then go for AT700.The best offer for the most offensive racket at its price range.It still stands on the top 3 in the yonex offensive racket chart.Every stroke n smashes r so powerful with it.NS?I guess most of them r head light.Easy for rally n maneuverability,but smashes r a bit lack of power.So,i guess,if not MP99,then AT700.Both r offensive racket,but defense with it may require more effort.

#10 Smichz, Jan 21, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  11. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

If yotarou is to be playing doubles, I wouldnt reccomend an AT700. I find its maneuverability lacking by the net, it's too powerful :D. It's also a little bit hard to get used to in the start. The shaft isnt really 'flexible' either, it's about 'medium-stiff'. So yeah, adding to the list, NS6000, MP45,MP66 and MP88 would be a good choice. :)

12. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Hey, AT700 is great for practising defense; you're hands get faster everytime you use it :D. You'll get used to the slowness, and then you're just left with a rediculously powerful racquet once you get the hang of it.

13. sifuyono

sifuyono Regular Member

Follow me on Twitter: @sifuyono
    as long you're get used to and practice more, the problem can be significantly reduced.
    at-700 as smichz said, i also agree as it is one of the best powerful racket in yonex line.

14. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Yeah as I said, it's hard to get used to in the beginning. For singles, I dont think I'm having any troubles at all. :p

15. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

The Cab30ms reminded me why I loved the game so much... Totally agree about the satisfaction when hitting the sweetspot and the generous amount of control in the racket.

Too bad it is no longer available here in Singapore.

16. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    It's still available in china,n i guess widely..wanna come n get one?=P

17. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

I was in Fuzhou in Dec :crying:. Gonna pick up 2 from Master SH from US.

18. otterfun

otterfun Regular Member

financial analyst
    Check with Silentheart :)

19. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

He did and I just sold him the one I was keeping for you...

20. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    yes.
    US version comes in 3U too