TBS/OSH and GTC/LWF

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by eaglehelang, Jan 21, 2008.

1. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

These 4 MD players are leaving the national squad - Tan Bin Shen/Ong Soon Hock, Gan Teck Chai/Lin Woon Fui. There are follow-up news on it, MO being finished & done with, figured I'll transfer them here for their respective fans :

The Star, 20 Jan 2008

Four doubles players stride out on their own

FOUR men’s doubles players – Tan Bin Shen-Ong Soon Hock and Gan Teik Chai-Lin Woon Fui – quit the national team on Friday to seek a change of fortune in their pursuits for individual glory.

The 25-year-old Teik Chai said they had tendered their resignation to the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) officials on Friday.

In their absence, the remaining men’s pairs left in the elite squad are Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong, Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari-Mohd Zakry Abdul Latif, Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah and Hoon Thien How-Tan Wee Kiong.

While Teik Chai and Woon Fui may follow in the footsteps of Chan Chong Ming-Chew Choon Eng and find their own sponsors to compete in international tournaments, Bin Shen-Soon Hock have had talks with professional club KLRC Bhd.

The 25-year-old Teik Chai said they decided to leave because they felt that they had no future with the BAM and wanted to start afresh elsewhere.

“Yes, I am leaving. I have no future with the BAM. I am 25 years old and am ranked fifth in the national team (with Woon Fui). There is no opportunity for us with the BAM,” said Teik Chai.

“But I can’t blame anyone on this. I am not blaming BAM either. Instead, I thank them for taking care of us for a long time. But I have no results to show for. So, there is nothing for me to fight for here.”

He said he would give himself a year before deciding on his future as a badminton player.

“For now, Woon Fui and I will be out to find sponsors. We will see how we fare in international tournaments. Maybe, there will be a change of fortune when we are out there,” he said.

“I think, we have reached a junction where you either turn right or left. Well, we have decided to leave the BAM. It was great while it lasted.”

2. eaglehelang

NST

Badminton: Azalina: BAM should be compensated

20 January, 2008
    AS supportive as the BA of Malaysia is to the growth of clubs, it must not be at the expense of "pinching" players from the national body. In fact, Sports Minister Datuk Seri Azalina Othman Said has even urged BAM to consider seeking compensation as public funds have been used to develop the players.

BAM doubles pairs Tan Bin Shen-Ong Soon Hock and Gan Teik Chai-Lin Woon Fui are the latest to pitch their tent with local club KLRC Bhd, which comes on the heels of former doubles ace Cheah Soon Kit joining as chief coach.

Hafiz Hashim, who is attached to another club - Nusa Mahsuri - has also been made a verbal offer by KLRC.

"We have always encouraged clubs but with two major events this year (the Thomas Cup in May and Beijing Olympics in August), we don't want our programmes to be disturbed," said BAM president Datuk Nadzmi Salleh yesterday.

"Pinching players is not what clubs are supposed to be doing and BAM has to review its open system."

Azalina was even more blunt.

"I am a committed supporter of clubs but their role is at the grassroots. If clubs insist on taking players from the national body, then I suppose BAM has to make things right.

"I am shocked that monetary gain is more important than national pride. The government has invested in these players and BAM should seek compensation," said Azalina

3. eaglehelang

from NST

Kam: We don't pinch players

21 January, 2008

KLRC Bhd chairman Datuk Andrew Kam has refuted claims that it is pinching players from the national squad. Kam said there is no truth that doubles pairs Tan Bin Shen-Ong Soon Hock and Gan Teik Chai-Lin Woon Fui are joining KLRC.

"I must clarify that we have not accepted these players and for BAM to settle its internal problems with its players," said Kam yesterday.

"Its players may have shown interest (in joining KLRC) but they are not with us. It is not fair to say KLRC is pinching players.

"We have helped players like Sairul Amar Ayub and Lee Tsuen Seng previously. Tsuen Seng was in the doldrums of his career but now has improved and even ready to compete in Thomas Cup or other event as and when BAM needs him.

"I think we are doing a good job and this is why the players are coming to us. Our job is also to produce players for the nation."

4. eaglehelang

From The Star

Yap wants quitting quartet to return

CHIEF coach Yap Kim Hock has urged the four doubles players who wanted to quit to return to the national fold.

He gave them an assurance that they would still be part of the Badminton Association of Malaysia's plans for the 2012 London Olympics.

On Friday, world number 19th Tan Bin Shen-Ong Soon Hock and 35th ranked Gan Teik Chai-Lin Woon Fui handed in their resignation letters to the BAM and said that they wanted out from the elite programme.

Without any outstanding results under their belts and a lack of tournament opportunities, both pairs wanted to seek better fortunes elsewhere.
    Kim Hock said that he was still hopeful that the four players would reconsider.

“They are still young and I hope they will stay on much longer. They will not make it for the Beijing Olympics in August but they have chances for the next one (in London),” said Kim Hock.

“I know that the management are trying to increase their salaries too. My only concern is their reasons for leaving the team. I will be really disappointed if they are leaving because of better offers elsewhere. It should not be about money alone but about badminton.”

There are four pairs left in the elite squad under Rexy Mainaky. They are world No. 1 Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong, veterans Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah, Mohd Zakry Abdul Latif-Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari and Hoon Thien How-Tan Wee Kiong

5. eaglehelang

from Utusan Malaysia

22 Jan 2008

Kami mahu maju – Teik Chai

Oleh NORZIE MOHD. KHASBI

[​IMG]
    Gan Teik Chai.

KUALA LUMPUR – Pemain beregu negara, Gan Teik Chai menegaskan, dia dan rakannya, Lin Woon Fui hanya mahu memajukan karier apabila mengambil keputusan keluar daripada Persatuan Badminton Malaysia (BAM).
    Teik Chai berkata, dia amat sedih apabila tindakan itu dianggap negatif, termasuk cadangan yang mahu semua pemain yang keluar daripada BAM dikenakan yuran perpindahan.
    Tegasnya, wang memang penting untuk membangunkan karier mereka, namun ia bukan pendorong utama kepada tindakan keluar BAM, sebaliknya mereka hanya mahu mencari peluang untuk bertanding di peringkat lebih tinggi.

Teik Chai mendakwa, sebagai pasangan nombor lima negara, tumpuan terhadap mereka sangat berkurangan berbanding pasangan utama yang lain, justeru keadaan itu menyukarkan mereka untuk memperbaiki diri.

Kedudukan mereka sebagai beregu nombor 35 dunia ketika ini juga cukup untuk menceritakan betapa mereka memerlukan ‘penghijrahan’ jika mahu kembali dalam kelompok terbaik dunia.

Malah, Teik Chai memberitahu, mereka hanya keluar daripada naungan BAM, bukan keluar dari negara ini.

GTC is sad with the negative impression of them leaving the national squad, plus suggestions of imposing transfer fees. Although money is important in career advanvement, that is not the main reason they are leaving. They just want opportunities to compete in higher level.

‘‘Kami terpaksa keluar dari BAM kerana kami percaya hanya itu cara untuk memajukan karier kami yang semakin malap. Keadaan kami sudah sukar, kenapa ia disukarkan lagi?

‘‘Secara jujur, saya tidak fikir kami akan berkembang jika terus berada di BAM, ia bukan salah mereka tetapi kerana kedudukan kami kini sebagai pasangan nombor lima, jadi sudah tentu segala tumpuan lebih kepada pemain utama.

"We have to get out of BAM cos it's the only way we can revive our flagging careers. Our situation is already difficult, why make it even more difficult?"

"Frankly speaking, I dont think we will improve under BAM. We are 5th pair, of course the focus is more on main/top pairs."

‘‘Umur saya sudah 25 tahun, saya bukannya semakin muda, jadi kalau saya mahu mengambil langkah baru, sekarang adalah masa yang sesuai, perlukah saya hendak tunggu tiga atau empat tahun lagi.

‘‘Secara jujur, kami pernah ditawarkan beraksi di luar negara tetapi kami cintakan Malaysia dan menolaknya bulat-bulat,’’ kata Teik Chai.

"I'm already 25, I'm not getting any younger, if I want to start afresh, this is the time, why wait another 3 -4 years?"

"Honestly, we have been offered to play overseas but we rejected those offers because we love Msia."

Selain Teik Chai-Woon Fui, turut meninggalkan skuad kebangsaan ialah Tan Bin Shen-Ong Soon Hock, pasangan nombor empat negara yang berada di ranking ke-19 dunia.
    Ketika ini, beregu nombor satu dunia, Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong, Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah dan Mohd. Fairuzizuan Tazari-Mohd. Zakry Latif mengisi tiga kedudukan teratas skuad negara.
    At the moment, KKK/TBH, CTF/LWW, Zakry/Fairuz are the top 3 MD pairs for Msia.

Sebagai beregu utama, mereka lebih mendapat manfaat daripada program Sukan Olimpik 2008, pada ketika Bin Shen-Soon Hock dan Teik Chai-Woon Fui pula sudah terkeluar daripada calon untuk beraksi di Temasya Beijing itu.
    Bagi Teik Chai-Woon Fui juga, tidak banyak pencapaian yang membanggakan pernah dilakar sepanjang karier mereka.

Tahun lalu, beregu muda ini hanya beraksi dalam segelintir kejohanan, kebanyakannya berakhir di pusingan kedua. Cuma dua kali mereka berjaya melangkah ke separuh akhir - Terbuka Thailand dan Cabaran Antarabangsa Malaysia.

As main pairs, they intergrated into the OG prog,while TBS/OSH, Gan/Lin are already out of the list of contenders.

Gan/Lin dont have many results to be proud of in their careers thus far. Last year, they only played in a handful tournaments (actually they participated in all SS till mid Japan O, after that, was less, due to coming up last in selection trials). Only twice they managed to reach Semi F, in Thailand Open & Msia Internatinal Challenge.

Ketika ditanya mengenai kemungkinan mereka akan membatalkan hasrat berundur dan kembali ke dalam skuad kebangsaan seperti yang diminta ketua jurulatih negara, Yap Kim Hock, Teik Chai membayangkan ia mungkin tidak akan berlaku.

Kelmarin, Kim Hock memberi jaminan bahawa keempat-empat pemain itu akan diserap dalam program Sukan Olimpik 2012 di London jika mereka kembali ke pangkuan skuad kebangsaan.

When asked whether they will reconsider their decision as asked by YKH, Gan said it is not possible. YKH gave assurances that the 4 players will be intergrated in OG 2012 plans.

‘‘Kalau kami masuk, di mana mereka hendak letak Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong atau beregu lain ? Saya tidak nampak kepastian di sini. Apa pun saya tetap akan berbincang dengan Woon Fui,’’ katanya.

Sementara itu, juga mengucapkan terima kasih kepada BAM dan Majlis Sukan Negara (MSN) yang telah sekian lama membantu karier badmintonnya hingga tiba ke tahap sekarang.
    "If we go in, where are they going to put KKK/TBH and other pairs? I dont see a guarantee in this. In any case, I will discuss with Woon Fui.

Gan also thanked BAM & NSC for helping his career for so long until he is able to reach this leve.

Note : The Star reported today that BAM was NOT successful in persuading the 4 players to stay on.

What Gan says has a point, they're the 2nd last pair, the top pairs are better, will always get top picks for major tourneys. They wouldnt many chances to compete in SS tourneys.

#5 eaglehelang, Jan 21, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  6. eaglehelang

BAM jamin pemain tidak terpinggir
    (BAM assures/guarantees players are not sidelined)

Oleh Lukman Salleh

Cari jalan elak anak didik sertai kelab swasta
    (Finding ways to avoid proteges switching to private clubs)

PERSATUAN Badminton Malaysia (BAM) akan mengadakan pertemuan dengan semua pemain kebangsaan bagi mententeramkan keresahan mengenai masa depan masing-masing yang tampak menjadi penyebab utama kepada penghijrahan ke kelab latihan kendalian swasta.

Setiausaha Kehormatnya, Ganga Rao, berkata pertemuan itu penting bagi memastikan setiap pemain diberikan jaminan mengenai masa depan mereka serta perancangan yang sudah diatur jurulatih masing-masing untuk mengelakkan rasa tersisih.

“Kami tidak boleh membuat rumusan yang negatif kepada tindakan pemain yang melahirkan hasrat untuk meninggalkan pasukan kebangsaan,” kata Ganga.

Sebaliknya, Ganga berkata, BAM perlu mendalami permasalahan yang dihadapi pemain di bawah naungannya terutama sekali membabitkan masa depan serta apakah perancangan yang sudah disusun buat mereka.

Gango said "We cannot make negative conclusions from their decision to leave."
    BAM needs to look into the problems faced by the players esp involving future plans laid out for the players.

“Saya dimaklumkan sebab utama pemain memilih meninggalkan pasukan kebangsaan dan menyertai kelab swasta adalah kerana mereka bimbang mengenai masa depan mereka dengan BAM serta tidak mengetahui apakah kedudukan mereka.

“Saya akui BAM belum memaklumkan perancangan yang disusun kepada setiap pemain. Oleh itu, adalah penting kami mengadakan pertemuan kepada semua pemain untuk memaklumkan bahawa masa depan mereka bersama BAM adalah terjamin.

"I've informed the players are leaving to join private clubs is because they're worried about their future & do not know their status."
    "I do admit we have not informed the players the future plans. So, it is important we meet with the players to assure them their future with BAM is asured."

“Selain itu, perancangan juga akan disusun jurulatih masing-masing bagi memastikan mereka tidak dipinggirkan daripada peluang untuk beraksi dalam kejohanan utama,” katanya.

Ketika ini, BAM berdepan risiko kehilangan beberapa pemain kebangsaan terutama beregu lelaki apabila ada di antara mereka melahirkan hasrat untuk menyertai sebuah kelab tempatan yang menawarkan gaji serta habuan lumayan.

"Other than that, coaches will make plans so the players will not be sidelined in international competition."
    The MD are leaving cos a private club is offering lucrative salaries & other perks.

Ini berbeza dengan elaun yang agak kecil diterima daripada pemain kebangsaan, itupun mengikut kepada ranking yang ditetapkan Majlis Sukan Negara (MSN).

It is different with the smaller allowance that the national players get, that too following ranking set by NSC.

Malah, bermula tahun ini pemain masih belum mengetahui kedudukan mereka dalam pasukan kebangsaan serta peluang untuk beraksi dalam kejohanan antarabangsa, yang kini hanya terbabit kepada kelompok elit saja.

“BAM mahu memastikan pemain akan sentiasa berasa selesa bersama pasukan kebangsaan dan masa depan mereka adalah terjamin,” kata Ganga. “BAM sama sekali tidak akan meminggirkan mereka.”

"BAM wants to ensure the players feel comfortable with the national team & their future is stable. BAM will never sideline/mariginalise them."

from Berita Harian

7. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

maybe they tot there is no future for them in BAM, so they left BAM..

8. hyu =)

hyu =) Regular Member

haha. i wanted to start this thead but looks like someone got here before me.

I AM A WOON FUI SUPPORTER.

i can understand why they want to leave. Towards the end of last year, they hardly get to play in SS at all. Even if BAM said they had not sidelined them, last yr i was alr feeling that they did.

if BAM had decided on the system to only send their top pairs for SS, they should have expected something like that to happen sooner or later.

i believe that they left not because of monetary reasons, but cos of the exasperation not being given the opportunity to play in the highest level touraments.

it must have been a hard decision. giving up your place in the elite squad is not sth everyone can do. i think it was very brave of them. all 4 of them.

and watch out for their COMEBACK!

9. hyu =)

hyu =) Regular Member

if you notice, on the same day...
    The Star: woon fui and teik chai may find their own sponsors
    NST: Tan Bin Shen-Ong Soon Hock and Gan Teik Chai-Lin Woon Fui are the latest to pitch their tent with local club KLRC Bhd.

what's up with the discreprency?

10. hyu =)

hyu =) Regular Member

anyway. anyone knows roughly how much time is needed to find a sponsor? they can only play when found their sponsor right?

and how does the system work? like, what will the sponsor want in return?

darn. i would sponsor them if i'm a millionaire. but i'm not. one of the times i wished i was a millionaire. LOL.

11. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Both pair are still looking for sponsors. Nothing has been confirm yet regarding their departure to KLRC.

12. mahzan

mahzan Regular Member

project construction manager
    I would say that at age 25 he have nothing to look for if he would stay with BAM and BAM remains with their strategy. OG 2012? Are you kidding? He will be ~30 by that time!!! What can a 30 year OLD do at that level?

CCM is one smart dude.

On retrospect...BAM policy is 'not kind' either. A person spend his time playing bmtn and did not get the necessary chance to improve his world ranking. World ranking is where money is, at least from BAM angle!! If BAM can afford to send officials to junket trips...why cant they send players to tourneys, if not SS, GPs etc?

13. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    Silly BAM. Very Silly.

Always talk about down sizing the team. Right sizing the team. Dropping unperforming players. If you keep on keeping people hanging high and dry... not knowing how their future stands.... How can like this ohhhhhhhhh.

Now after talking so big in the press, these players who felt 'guilty' of not performing.... and don't even feel like they are getting proper attention on training time.. They saved BAM the trouble of being the Bad Guy to fire them...

So now they go and BAM wants them back. Silly.

14. eaglehelang

15. eaglehelang

Hyu : THe interview with Gan TC should be more accurate.

Mahzan : Gan/Lin didnt get to go China/HK SS cos they finished last in selection trials. They were sent for Vietnam Open (GP) & sole senior MD for SEA Games. They didnt do well in both events.
    Before SEA Games, Gan/Lin had wanted to prove themselves in SEA Games for a chance to play in Thomas Cup.

The pairs went for GP Gold - either Taiwan or Macau Open.

The other point is there are 3 junior/back-up MD pairs eagerly waiting in the wings : Razif/Khoo, Chan PS/Chang HP, Lim KW/MakHC.
    Razif/Khoo are catching up & starting to overtake them when Razif/Khoo beat Luluk/Alvent in Macau Open.

Looking at all this, I expected Gan/Lin to leave 1st. They're at the bottom of the pile, getting nowhere. 6th pair are new combo of Hoon/Wee Kiong, both young at 21+/18+. The junior pairs could overtake them too.

TBS/OSH I thought would stick around a while cos after CTF/LWW retire, they will be 3rd pair but they too decided to jump ship.

16. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    this is my two cents :

i believe the players want to leave to better themselves.

and i could understand BAM's stand on losing out when these players move to a club.

how about we follow the way it is internationally. let players choose where they want to go. after all, they also work hard. yes, BAM have guided them all this while but that is what any country will do. groom young players. if it is monetary rewards that is in question, lets do what international club does. players who play for club must get their own sponsors, pay their own way, get all the money that they won but will not get any rewards at all from the government. this includes hafiz and all club players. when you choose to be professionals and leave the government setup, it means you work on your own. dont expect the government to pay for you or give you rewards because you are playing for yourself since whatever winning is yours. you do well and win, you make money. you dont do well and lose, you dont make money. so hafiz, if you want financial stability, you have to win. if you want rewards or bonus from BAM, you have to go under their rules. simple as that. dont go asking for help or rewards or bonus after you have decided to go play for a club. the club should support you.

BAM should not stop them. if they do well, we can still be proud of them. maybe they will fight harder because they are fighting for their livelyhood. maybe by going professional they will raise the standard of badminton in our country. dont be bogged down by petty issues. lets look to the future and see if this could indeed be good in the long run.

17. hyu =)

hyu =) Regular Member

"We have to get out of BAM cos it's the only way we can revive our flagging careers. Our situation is already difficult, why make it even more difficult?

super pissed with those sports management ppl who are putting them in a bad light and giving others bad impression of them. yes their situation is alr difficult, they were brave enough to take a risk. understand their situation and admire them for putting down the glory of being in elite squad to improve their game man! it must have definitely been a very difficult and hard decisioin. why frame them up as bad guys!

BAM should seriously review their constitution, system and policies after all the recent negative stuff and reports.

18. eaglehelang

1) I suppose you're refering to Hafiz's issue on that. Ever notice no KLRC player complained ? If info in the press are correct, KLRC's salary is much higher than NSC (since NSC sets the salary structure including BAM players- they announced the amount before). I wouldnt go into that, since it's not abt these 4 players

2) From media reports, the impression is : NSC, Sports Ministry are the ones who are angry, pressuring BAM. BAM try to be middle man. They are the ones causing trouble for the players who want to leave (i.e. being petty).
    The example quoted is Roslin had pay RM60K as transfer fees when he left BAM to go to Nusa Mahsuri.

Fans, I think support them starting somewhere else. Win-win for the players, the team (the juniors can move up), the govern lose out.

#18 eaglehelang, Jan 22, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  19. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    yeah, any club should be able to give their players a good contract. support them fully. in hafiz's case it should be nusa mahsuri's responsibility to make sure he has no financial worries. the government bodies already supported his early development.

the transfer fee, i think, they are thinking international clubs, you are buying my players, you pay. i guess thinking about it, it is reasonable. every club pays for their player. big clubs buy junior players all the time and they pay to the junior club that develope the junior player. so, logical i guess.

i really dont mind them going to a club. maybe they will do better there. there is a lot of competition in BAM. BAM should let them go. just ask for the transfer fee (reasonable amount and not something that will make it hard for them), if BAM feels strongly about it, but just let them go. why tie them down? if we are going to do like the professional outfit in the europe and america then lets do it properly. and this goes for both the club and the government body. you want a player, you pay for them and then you have to support them. simple as that i think.

20. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    but the whole thing about this matter is about how BAM is not ready to let their players go.just in a blink of an eye.we are not ready.

we spent a lot of money to produced these players.n we are just about to get the revenue.they cant walk away.at least for now.its olympic year.
    what happen inside BAM.let it stay inside BAM now.we'll do something after olympic.