User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad View Post
    ..on the other hand, if i were you, i wouldn't mind letting her play in the back while you're in the front (assuming your opponents are about the same level as you & your lady partner). Look at it this way also, and like what stumblingfeet mentioned, you can practice and train yourself playing in the front, while she's blasting away from the back (her side of the court)...In other words, take it as a challenge, for you..
    Just curious, does she play w/the same approach with other male/guy partner(s)?? Or she's playing w/that approach, just with you??..
    nope. shes the same with other ppl too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nanox View Post
    My partner is a girl, shes about 5 ft 5 and she NEVER like to stand in the front and do drops and etc. Every time i told her to go to the front, shes like NO, im not going to the front. i think because she wants to hit more rather than stand in front doing drops. And here is another problem, she cant take smashes.... also when she return the birdie back to op pent side, she hit it really high.... its like u can smash her 90% of the time. SO what we end up is that she stands on the right side and i stand on the left side. we hit the birdie when it comes to our side... which didnt work well. Any solution?? Should i play single instead of playing mix double??

ahhaa...sounds like talking abt me...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. Change your partner
    ** what if male partner is not strong to cover the back?

2. it sounds like she is clearing rather than smashing so teach her to smash properly or teach her to do drop shoots
    ** the reaction for me sometimes is to clear shot first by hitting far behind cause I have confidence to recieve return smash .. but somehow my male partner tends to cover me by standing in the middle of the court...and miss the smash on this part..

3. the female doesn't always have to stay in the front so be flexible
    ** agree on weaker female always have to stay in front as long as the male can cover the back..but what if the female cannot play net ..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what if.. on the reverse side, the guy is weaker.

Can a lady request her male partner to stand in front?

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfox View Post
    what if.. on the reverse side, the guy is weaker.

Can a lady request her male partner to stand in front?
    Why not? I do that a lot of the time! I once played against Simon Archer in a mixed junior tournament. I would pop up for the netkill whilst my partner covered the back. Surprised them so much we won a game from them - unfortunately not the match Simon Archer was already an England junior player that time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    Why not? I do that a lot of the time! I once played against Simon Archer in a mixed junior tournament. I would pop up for the netkill whilst my partner covered the back. Surprised them so much we won a game from them - unfortunately not the match Simon Archer was already an England junior player that time.
    isn't simon archer a guy?

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfox View Post
    isn't simon archer a guy?
    Yes and so am I. What's the problem if he plays mixed doubles (so long as the partner is a girl)?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just tape her a video of pro mix matches
    and let her figure out the rest

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is pretty much the same problem that my mixed partner has. However, she is my sister and will sometimes listen to me. However, I won't get frustrated or whatever if she does decide that she wants to play back, she can have a pretty hard smash. Having her play at the back works for us. I guess it's just what works best between mixed pairs. I still play the back most of the time however because I have a better smash than her, but I will still trust her to play back at any point in the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Standing at the front doesn't always be doing dropping.U can also strike from the front.N also,playing at the front requires a better speed n reflex than when u're in the back.This is also the reason why some players got frustated,since he/she got nothing much to do when they're on the front.But once they're used to it,things changed.

Anyway,tell her,the main thing about double isn't always about who's scoring.It's about creating more chances to score,either it's executed by u or ur partner.
    Last edited by Smichz; 01-24-2008 at 03:15 PM.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nanox View Post
    Any solution?? Should i play single instead of playing mix double??
    Sounds like difficult partnership. Good idea to switch to playing singles. No need to worry about partners, and you minimise the risk of racquet clashes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe she is afraid of the birdie?
    I admit I'm afraid of being in the front at times, but I suck it up and try to do my best. But sometimes when I hear a POW and that they are going to smash its natural reflexes for me to close my eyes and turn a bit. But I try to swing randomly, when I close my eyes. That is why I prefer singles. I'm not scared of the smashes in singles and I like to smash as a winning shot for some reason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mix doubles with a girl is a headache - they always hit/lob the shuttle really high and allows the other party to smash it back. Period.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just try to make a compromise. i had a partner who wasn't comfortable staying in front cuz she was quite tall and had to crouch low. i just told her that we can play rotation and it worked out quite well. If you really do want to play mixed, you must sometimes cater to your partner's wishes first before they do the same to you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

get a video camera or phone. Record it and analyse it. Your partner will learn a great deal from it when comparing with other videos. Easy? Can you youtube it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eddex View Post
    Mix doubles with a girl is a headache - they always hit/lob the shuttle really high and allows the other party to smash it back. Period.

That's an unfair statement

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To play a good mix team, you will need to practice a lot with the SAME partner for a good amount of time... it is more than just telling the girl to stay up in the front.

Let me give you an example...
    Even if she is willing to stay upfront, but what if the other team pushes her to the back tactically? How is she planning to get herself back in HER position(which is the front)? How well do you two rotate if necessary?

Bottom line is, in mixed doubles, there is more of a need to build a good bond between the two partners, and they must know what they need to do to get in the proper position and avoid certain situation(ex. girl taking the smash directly, or the guy in the front watching the girl being push one side to the other just trying to keep the rally going).

More importantly, if you are complaining about why your partner won't change... why not complain about why you won't change your partner???

At high level mixed doubles play, any female player who only wants to be the smasher(attacker) instead of a set-up play type player, is nothing more than a liability. Vise versa for the male.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast