My Mixed Doubles partner's issue

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Nanox, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Nanox

Nanox Regular Member

Student
    My partner is a girl, shes about 5 ft 5 and she NEVER like to stand in the front and do drops and etc. Every time i told her to go to the front, shes like NO, im not going to the front. i think because she wants to hit more rather than stand in front doing drops. And here is another problem, she cant take smashes.... also when she return the birdie back to op pent side, she hit it really high.... its like u can smash her 90% of the time. SO what we end up is that she stands on the right side and i stand on the left side. we hit the birdie when it comes to our side... which didnt work well. Any solution?? Should i play single instead of playing mix double??

#1 Nanox, Jan 22, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  2. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    there are a few options:
    1. Change your partner
    2. it sounds like she is clearing rather than smashing so teach her to smash properly or teach her to do drop shoots
    3. the female doesn't always have to stay in the front so be flexible

When i play mix doubles i always ask my partner where she likes to play and mainly she stays in the back and i stay in the front

3. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    It sounds like your partner prefers to play doubles stragety than mix doubles stragety.

4. Nanox

Nanox Regular Member

Student
    she is the best girl that can play mix double, others are even worser. And SHE NEVER LISTEN ppl to teach her, she has her own style and she goes wif her way, when ppl teach her she go like uh huh.

5. darkaznboi333

darkaznboi333 Regular Member

Golden Swirl
    Change your partner, if you can't work together, then you can't win

6. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    You need to get her to listen because if you two play against players who do have team work, the problem will definately show up.

Not to try to put it in the negative way, but once the opponents know about this kind of issue, they can take advantage of it and could to win the game.

#6 Matt, Jan 22, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  7. Genesis

Genesis Regular Member

Student, Research
    If thats the case, I'd rather start off with a less talented player that is willing to learn than with an average player that is not willing to learn. There is simply no potential in the latter.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Is she better than you?

9. spvoice

spvoice Regular Member

For partnership to work, there must be mutal trust, understanding and working together towards a common goal. Certainly yr partner wants to be more actively involved and contributing to the game. She could be also feel awkward and "out-of-place" - not used to - playing front-back. I think you need to explain a few things honestly with your parnter without any hints of belittling her.
    1. Explain your rationale for the proposed formation and strategy.
    Assure her that her role is no less important to contributing to a good/winning game. Nothing can beat the satisfaction of winning or playing a good game.
    2. Discuss with her where you feel are the weaknesses in your partnership and how your formation would help to minimise the opponents from capitalising them.
    3. Point out her positive contributions playing in front. How her action would help your partnership to win points.
    If she sees the rationale, purposes and objectives of the formation but stubbornly refuses to accept, then you've no choice but to look for some other partner.
    The bottomline is, if a partnership doesn't contribute to making the games interesting and challenging - not necessary to win - then what's the point of continuing.

10. ouijaouija

ouijaouija Regular Member

she must be very thick skinned, usually its obvious why a team is losing, and that usualy makes a person wanna change.

in her case you you gotta make her change or leave it, sound slike a lot of hassle to me though, as ^^^ said get a another partner who is willing to improve, even if they aren't as good

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Did anybody ask her why she does that?

Other tactic is to ask her how she thinks the partnership can win? After all, you have your side of the story...what about hers?

12. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    That maybe one reason why she doesn't take advice. She's the strongest lady player in your group, and she knows she has the choice of partners. I think the pleasure of beating her in a game will probably be more than what you get from partnering with her.

Lady mixed partners who can't play front are liabilities. She might be redeemable if she has a fairly strong smash (doesn't need to be hard, just sharp and accurate). If she only do clears and drops, her partners can be in a world of hurt.

What you're doing at the moment with her is basically not doubles, more like old fogeys' doubles style where there's little to no rotation. It's everybody minding their own halves of the court. No partnership at all. She's probably stronger playing singles.

If you want it to work out with her, you need to talk to her and come up with a plan that both of you can live with. If either of you are not much stronger than the other, then there's no point playing classical mixed form cuz no lady would put herself in the hands of a weaker guy.

Doubles is about teamwork, about setting up one another for the easy kill and spreading the defense. Start learning proper rotations and play as equal partners.

13. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    tell her if you help me to win a game, I get you a rose. Else I take you out for a date tonite. Be patient. Practice. There are lots of videos to help you to improve on the game. It takes time....

14. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Playing the net can be quite boring if you don't know what to do. Many players just stand there waiting for a kill opportunity.

On the other hand, an experienced net player is constantly repositioning him/herself to cut down the angle of returns on the smash returns. I'm guessing that your partner probably doesn't know how to do this.

Solution: play a few practice games of "reverse mixed doubles" with you at the net and her at the back. Assuming that you are a better player than her, she'll see:

A- how the net player puts pressure on the opponent and forces them to lift

B- how the effectiveness of attacking is much better with the big smasher at the back of the court

Of course, if the reversed positions work better... just go with it! There's no rule saying the girl HAS to be at the net.

15. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Many unexperienced players think single, level double and mix double are the same thing. If they are good in single, they believe they are also the best choice for doubles or mix doubles.

With my own observation in regular club level of playing, the best mix double lady is usually NOT the best in singles or even level doubles. Reason being is, in club level of playing, especially in girls group (no offense, but usually even lower than guys), as long as you have power, you can power your way through most of the games. Therefore, the "strong" lady players tend to get into a habit of rely on their "superior" (when compare to other girls) power and/or speed to win the game. However, such mentality usually back fires, when they play in mix games, usually featuring much more experienced and stronger guys.

Badminton double is a strategy game. If you are overall weaker (i.e. a club level lady vs. a club level guy), you need to use your strength to offset your weakness. If you use your "strength" to face off "even more strength", then, good luck...

To me, if she simply refuses to listen and learn, you should get a better choice with a "overall weaker" but "willing to learn" partner. ;)

16. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    well first question i have is this just school badminton or just like when you go to the gym to play with others or a training group? but yes as for mixed i can see why she doesnt want to play the net i have deffinetly seen some people do that before when coaching groups and they play games but yeah personally i play singles so yeah mixed not exactly my thing i dont train for it ive played it but yeah. anyways theres deffinetly lots of things that you can teach her from what i have heard abotu her skill but yes its all about her if she wnats to learn, what about your coach what does he say?

Your only as strong as the weakest link as mean and bad as the sounds there lies some truth in it and i have to say that i know its true to an extent.

For teaching her new things i get that alot with kids i coach they alwyas say "it works for me so im not gonna change it" or "its perfect i taught myself" and then usually after playing them in a game or having them watch us do a demo it changes their mind. they get all excited about what they could di if they practice and the pace of it and it makes them want to play more and get better. Maby showing her some actual mixed matches will make her see what mixed is all about and what she can achive if she wants to work on it and improve. Personally i find that the most motivating but thats just me.

You just have to keep with it provided she is the one that you want to play mixed with. if shes the best one at the club but doesnt want to learn though personally i would rather play with somebody who wants to learn and improve over somebody who thinks they know it all when they clearly dont.

17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..Get ready to run cos looks like you'll be covering A LOT for her..

..on the other hand, if i were you, i wouldn't mind letting her play in the back while you're in the front (assuming your opponents are about the same level as you & your lady partner). Look at it this way also, and like what stumblingfeet mentioned, you can practice and train yourself playing in the front, while she's blasting away from the back (her side of the court):p...In other words, take it as a challenge, for you..;):cool:
    Just curious, does she play w/the same approach with other male/guy partner(s)?? Or she's playing w/that approach, just with you??..:confused:

#17 ctjcad, Jan 23, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  18. Nanox

Nanox Regular Member

Student
    nope. shes the same with other ppl too

19. flyingfox

flyingfox Regular Member

ahhaa...sounds like talking abt me...:D

20. flyingfox

flyingfox Regular Member

1. Change your partner
    ** what if male partner is not strong to cover the back?

2. it sounds like she is clearing rather than smashing so teach her to smash properly or teach her to do drop shoots
    ** the reaction for me sometimes is to clear shot first by hitting far behind cause I have confidence to recieve return smash .. but somehow my male partner tends to cover me by standing in the middle of the court...and miss the smash on this part..

3. the female doesn't always have to stay in the front so be flexible
    ** agree on weaker female always have to stay in front as long as the male can cover the back..but what if the female cannot play net ..