Badminton Nutrition

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by nutrioutlet, Jan 23, 2008.

1. nutrioutlet

nutrioutlet Regular Member

Nutrition and Supplement advisor for www.nutrioutl
    Hello Everyone,

I wanted to start a nutritional section for anyone wanting assistance with their diet, or if anyone has any questions regarding anything nutritional I will do my best to answer them for you.

ANY person playing ANY sport can benefit from a diet that is right for them. There are many ways that someone playing Badminton can benefit from correct nutrition. For example, having more speed, stamina and joint health all stems from what you feed your body.

Making your back hand faster and more powerful obviously requires training, but this can also be helped with the building up of muscle mass, keeping joints, tendons and ligaments in excellent condition and keeping hydrated, all of which are significantly assisted through your diet.

I can answer any questions that you have regarding diet, nutrition and sports supplementation. Please feel free to ask ... :D

2. THEbaschti

THEbaschti Regular Member

hm thx for your offer, I have a question, sir^^
    After training I often get home quite late around 10 o'clock maybe. So for building muscles etc. I need food, but I heard that eating that late will make you gain weight very fast? So should I eat after training, eat a little or better don't eat at all? Atm I listen to my body most of the time that says "huuuuuuuuuuungryyyy"

3. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

i've got a question about joints actually, particularly since i suffer from Shoulder Bursitis or Tendonitis, which is suspect quite a number of badminton players suffer from as well. is there any particular food/vitamin/supplement i can be taking to help this condition? i've heard that Chondroitin & Glucosamine are potentially useful.

4. nutrioutlet

Hello Baschti :)

It is very very important to get nutrients into your muscles after a training session! Even if it is late at night - you just have to pick the right foods.

Gaining weight by eating late at night depends on your body type and also what it is that you eat!

I would suggest your meal at this time of night should be high in protein and low in carbohydrates like for example a "chicken omelette" (using 3 egg whites but 1 egg yolk as this keeps the fat and cholesterol amount down)

If you are trying to build your muscle mass without putting on body fat then I would also suggest using a whey protein supplement straight after training (I can give you a link to a German Supplement Site if you would like me to?)

Using a supplement like this allows you to give your muscles what they need to start to the repair and rebuild, whey protein also has so many other great benefits too, it can:
    Improve your physical performance; Sharpen your mind; Help your body ward off disease; enhance circulatory system function; improve overall health AND it also has anti-aging effects!! So basically a great all rounder!

Hope this helps :)
    Nutrioutlet

5. nutrioutlet

Hello Dreamzz

ABSOLUTELY YES!!

Glucosamine aids in "Dense connective tissue synthesis" which is so important especially to badminton players as the repair and growth of this type of connective tissue in cartilage, tendons and ligaments is never ending. Glucosamine with Chondroitin is very good for treating symptoms of arthritis. Glucosamine sulphate may be better absorbed by your body - although some people have found the sulphate version of glucosamine to give them a poorly stomach :(

Vitamin C is excellent for tissue healing too! This means adding things like citrus fruits, tomatoes, carrots or anything green and vegetable to your diet will increase your vitamin C intake.

Oily fish is also a must when thinking about your joints. Omega 3,6 and 9's are hugely important for joint mobility.

Other things to reduce pain and inflammation are baby aspirin (please consult your doctor before taking this though) Glutamine, White willow bark and Aloe Vera - this I would advise to be taken everyday during your tendonitis attack - the liquid form is really good.

This is an excellent product for joint health and repair This is an english site.

You can also get a personalised diet plan that will help you with your tendonitis here.

As for your tendonitis as soon as it occurs, ICE IT ICE IT ICE IT! 10 - 15 minutes three times per hour.
    To prevent tendonitis; one of the best methods (other than diet) I know is hot and cold therapy. Straight after training take your ice pack to the shower and have two minutes of ice water and two minutes under the hot shower. Repeat this sequence 4-6 times. This improves circulation to the area in question.

Hope this helps

Nutrioutlet

#5 nutrioutlet, Jan 23, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  6. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    yes, it is covered in coaching guide. Get a good coach to tell you what you should be eating and drinking. There's no short cut to stamina and power though. You need to build it up everyday.

7. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

thanks for the advice.
    i eat a lot of citrus fruits already, so my vitamin C levels are probably alright.
    i guess i should also improve my fish diet, time to hit the salmon section.
    i'm still considering whether to take the Glucosamine with Chondroitin capsules, that'll probably be my last resort.

8. crosscourt

crosscourt Regular Member

Legal
    I'm addicted to fried chicken! Is it much healthier if I strip the skin and coating off and just eat the flesh? I remember reading somewhere that if you did this and did not get fries then the meal would only be fairly bad as opposed to really bad! So when I do go to KFC I get fried chicken, no fries and a diet soft drink! What do you think?

9. THEbaschti

THEbaschti Regular Member

Thx for your tips =)

10. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

I thought eating the skin was the whole point of fried chicken?

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    and taste the KFC's secret coating;)

12. nutrioutlet

OK. Lets take for example the KFC Original Recipe Chicken Breast. Here is the nutritional breakdown for 1 breast 161g:
    Calories: 370
    Calories from fat:180!
    Fat: 19g
    Carbohydrates:11g
    Protein: 40g

Good points are; that it is high in protein :) Bad points are; that it is high in sodium and cholesterol and not very nutritious. 8% carbs, 49% fats, 43% protein.

As a badminton player I would suggest that you ate a diet that was around the ratio of 20% fat, 30% protein and 50% carbohydrates. (PLEASE NOTE: This is only very vague and TOTALLY depends on your body type and activity level as to the exact breakdown!!)

If you were to eat the chicken without the coating (you really might as well eat a roasted chicken breast!!) this would take away some sodium, fat and cholesterol but still leave you with a "not very" nutritious meal.

Try cooking your own version of fried chicken!

Dry roast a chicken breast dipped in egg white, rolled in spices and breadcrumbs. Stay away from salt and use lots of pepper. This way you can monitor all of the nutrients you are putting into your body. I would suggest this to help you take away your craving for fried chicken - and have the real deal on very special occasions :)

I would also suggest that if you wanted to explore more into your own personal diet, have a personalised diet plan made for you. :D

Nutrioutlet :D

13. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Thank goodness you're here, nutrioutlet...^^

..as i'm sure quite a few BC members have made a new year's resolution to eat healthy, stay healthy and................lose some weight...:p ;):cool:

#13 ctjcad, Jan 24, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  14. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    just a few questions, i dont have hot shower at home, could i just use ice pack and alternate it with hot water bag? and would this also suitable for sore muscles?

15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Hi Nutrioulet,

Thanks so much for sharing your expertise.

You seemed to be highly trained in nutrition, but just to let us know a little bit more about your background, could you please tell us where you were trained and at which level and how many years experience you have been associated with sports nutrition.

In other words, informing us about your professional qualifications and experience so that we feel very comfortable with your advice. :)

16. nutrioutlet

Yes this is fine. The hot cold therapy is just to increase the circulation to the area you are treating. By all means use an ice pack and heat bag.

As for sore muscles (DOMS) you can prevent this by low to moderate intensity stretching. Stretching or a gentle massage of the muscles helps rid hydroxyproline and other waste products that result from exercise-induced microtrauma. BUT DO NOT over stretch as this can cause microtrauma!!

As for the nutritional side, Whey protein and amino acids are also a great way to help with DOMS

Hope this helps

Nutrioutlet

17. nutrioutlet

Noooo problem. :D

I am trained with the ISSA as a CFT. I have worked as a personal trainer, coach and nutritional advisor for 4 years. I have trained and coached many sorts of athletes from Powerlifters to Fitness Athletes (all at world class levels) and have advised from a nutritional background lots of other sports also. I have also been a world class athlete myself and have won national and international titles in the strength and fitness arena.

I am now working as a nutritional and sports supplementation advisor for a web based supplementation shop and love giving advice and help to anyone wanting to improve their chosen sport.

I also am the owner and founder of Mobile Fitness and have written very successful training and nutritional programmes for people all over the world in many different sports.

I am here if you would like advising about your diet and off season training.

Hope this helps :)

Nutrioutlet

18. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    thank you very much :) you have been very helpful.

19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Oh how glad to know you're here at last to help us! :)

Interesting that you mentioned being a world-class athlete yourself.
    Mind giving us more details to motivate the younger athletes here to greater achievement and how you did it? :D

20. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    What do we need to feed our body so that we get less cramps occurring ?

Hi nutrioutlet,

Many players get cramps while playing Badminton. :eek::eek::eek:

What do we need to feed our body so that we get less cramps occurring ? :confused::confused::confused:

Cheers... chris@ccc
    :):):)