Korean Open 2008 : DAY 4 : Jan 25 : (Quarterfinals)

Discussion in 'Korea Open 2008' started by vching, Jan 24, 2008.

1. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
    my predictions:

After the shock departure of all but one Malaysian pair, hopes will be pinned on the Malaysian Women's Pair.

Lu Lan vs. Wang Chen
    Lu Lan had to slog for almost an hour to beat gritty Dutch Judith. Wang Chen on the other hand, managed to beat Kaori Mori in 3 sets. Both appear not to be performing at their peak, and today's match will be interesting. I am inclined to give this close match to Wang Chen. I predict that Wang Chen will win this game in 3 tight sets.

Sudket/Saralee vs. Zhang/Xie
    The Thai pair beat a Chinese combination today, who are always lethal. On the other hand, Zhang and Xie were also tested against a Korean pair. Koreans seem to do better in their home ground, which is understandable, as the maximum temperature is -4 degrees Celcius. I predict that the Thai pair will take this closely fought match.

Zhou Mi vs. Zhang Ning
    A rematch of the veterans. Both have trained with each other, and have slept with each other (in the same room lah, what were you thinking :)). However, Zhou is now representing Hong Kong, who will not concede to China any day. I believe Zhou will win this encounter, as Zhang Ning is not in her peak form and appears to be going through a slump.

Wong Pei Tty/Chin Eei Hui vs. Lee Hyo Jung/Lee Kyung Won
    Hopes are now on the Malaysian pair to deliver. The last time they entered a Semifinals was in last year's All England. This Korean pair will not be easy to shrug off. World number 4 and seeded third, they key is to pressure Hyo Jung into making mistakes, something she is very prone in doing. Tight match. I refuse to call this to prevent jinxing our sole survivors.

Bao Chunlai vs. Peter Gade
    Gade, playing with a cracked rib, has been impressive so far. Bao on the other hand, had to slog for near an hour to beat lanky Malaysian veteran Wong Choong Hann. Peter Gade is on a roll, and I hope he spoils China's party by winning this title. Peter in 3 sets.

Lin Dan vs. Sony Dwi Kuncoro
    A rematch of the World Championships Finals last year. This time, Lin Dan once again holds the upper hand, and will be the overwhelming favourite to claim the title after Lee retired because of fever. Lin Dan to win in 2 straightforward sets.

All the best to all players, and hopefully we won't continue our bad performance in Korea.

The Badminton Blog - Korean Open 2008 - Quarterfinals Predictions

2. badMania

badMania Regular Member

The matches involving INA squad:

Court no 1

last match: Jung Jae Sung/Lee Yong Dae [3] vs Luluk Hadiyanto/Alvent Yulianto [6] -- a tough match in store and I hope Luluk/Alvent can progress. The Korean has the edge.

Court no 3
    3:00pm Flandy Limpele/Vita Marissa [4] vs Mohd Rijal/Greysia Polii -- no question abt it, Flandy/Vita to progress.

followed by Lin Dan [1] vs Sony Dwi Kuncoro [6] -- Sony fulfills his seeding and I don't see him winning against Lin Dan tomorrow.

last match: Wei Yili/Zhang Yawen [1] vs Vita Marissa/Liliyana Natsir [8] -- Vita/Butet can beat another Chinese pair here...but as always, Wei/Zhang have the edge.

3. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

this should be a good match. vita/butet are the only pair i can see stopping the CHN WD in this tournament. i think it may be a bit too early since the injury for the MAS WD to pose much of a threat.

4. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

hope sony can spring an upsets in 2moro`s quater final.

5. badboypedi

badboypedi Regular Member

what do you think? can juliane schenk and xu huaiwen progress to the next round??

6. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Many tough matches for the Chinese squad, even in some of the WDs.

Some easy matches:

LD - Sony: In the first half of the first game Sony may lead for a while. But overall the scoreline should be like 21:12, 21:13.

Cai/Fu - HongKong: If both are in normal forms, should be like 21:10, 21:10. However Cai/Fu seem a bit shaky so far, stretched to 3 sets by the Taiwan pair (Usually Cai/Fu are only troubled by top pairs)

Some tricky matches.

Flandy/Vita - Rijal/Polii: Sorry Indonesian fans, but I can't help wondering whether there will be a walkover. It has happened before between these two pairs. :cool:

Lu Lan - Wang Chen, Zhang Ning - Zhou Mi. Are there really something going on when HK WS meets Mainland MS? :cool:

Matches to watch:

Chen Jin - Jonassen: Jonassen has been in great form recently. Chen Jin has slight edge though.

Peter Gade - BCL: PG won 07 Mas when he was sick. Can he do the same magic this time with injury?

Eriksen/Nielsen - Chen/Chou: The Taiwan XD has been a surprise. Contrary to my prediction, I hope the handsome boy/pretty girl pair can make it to live TV. :D

#6 ye333, Jan 24, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  7. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    I think Luluk-Alven can still progress... :D and yeah, Flandy-Vita too... ;)

Oh wow, I just found out that the MAS team got almost totally wiped out today... :eek: except for their lone WD in the quarterfinals, Korea Open 2008 seem to have some sort of weapons of mass destruction against the MAS team...

8. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Nah...Flandy/Vita have even yet to meet Rijal/Grace so far. If u are referring to WO, it will be Nova/Butet vs Rijal/Grace in the World Championships 2007. There's a valid reason for it too remember? Greysia Polii was seriously injured in her match and that cost her 2 mths of absence. In fact, Rijal was seen last played with Grace in the R32 of the World Championships and they only recently make a comeback as a pair in the Malaysia Open 2008.

Normally, there will not be any walkover involving INA pairs. U see how Flandy/Vita and Nova/Butet fought point for point in the HK Open 2007, until the last 2 points of the match :cool:

In addition, Nova/Butet were involved in a rubber-set game with Rijal/Grace in the Indonesia Open 2007, only managing to beat them 21-19, 14-21, 21-17. In the next round, Nova/Butet were also involved in a tight tussle with Devin/Lita, winning it 21-15, 18-21, 21-15.

#8 badMania, Jan 24, 2008
  9. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Yup, in a sense, 1 MD & 1 MS could have been included but LCW and CCM/CCE retired.
    Ants said LCW is not well since reaching Korea, CCE got injured. LCW already had fever beginning of MO, Korea is freezing cold.
    If you see the scores, you'll find the matches didnt finish.

10. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Yes my mistake. I confuse Flandy/Vita with Nova/Butet (just kind of remember once an Ind junior pair gave WO to a senior pair, who has better chance getting the title). I apologize. And I believe you on the reason of the WO.

#10 ye333, Jan 24, 2008
  11. hcpoirot

hcpoirot Regular Member

What a suprise? After Malaysia Open tons of suprises, Korea Open also had tons of suprises?

Cai/Fu and Zhang Ning plus Lu Lan seems to be in a slump. ZN probably too old now. Stretch 3 sets by Petya and Julia Wong???

Also slump: all the Malaysia MD.

Nova/Butet lost to the same pair two event in a row. But the Korean are good pair specially Lee Yong Dae who will had very long career in MD and XD.

On the rise:

JR/LP. After winning the World Championship 2005 (If I am right), they really fall into a big slump. They got separated and then pair again. Had a so so result last year , but this year what happen? They beat KKK/TBH and Cai/Fu in Malaysia Open and now they beat Markis/Hendra here.

The same :

China WD. They probably only lost one or two title a year to other country pair. The rest, at least 2 pairs in Semifinal and usually all China final.

But the year just begin. The most important events are:

All England, Thomas-Uber Cup and of course Olympics.

If you win these event, it doesn't matter if you play bad the rest of the events. :D

#11 hcpoirot, Jan 24, 2008
  12. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

I think PSH vs LHI is also a tricky match to watch.

And Lee is going to show Park who is the boss in Korea :D

13. Viper2005

Viper2005 Regular Member

Play Badminton Everyday!
    Indonesian Women's Doubles?

Can Natsir/Marissa defeat 3 Chinese teams to win? Repeat from China Masters......:)

I'd like to see them do the impossible again.:)
    Wish them all the luck...:D

14. Viper2005

Viper2005 Regular Member

Play Badminton Everyday!
    Maybe PSH will give a walkover to LHI....:rolleyes:

15. GunBlade008

GunBlade008 Regular Member

Student, Retail.
    They won the WC2003, Tony Gunawan and Howard Bach won in 2005.

16. apontoh

apontoh Regular Member

don't think they can pull it off just yet....but hopefully, at the Olympics. :D

17. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

LOL~ we'll see. :p

18. tjl_vanguard

tjl_vanguard Regular Member

Student
    recently, Taiwanese pairs are on the rise... they seem tat they can trouble anyone on a good day.. but, they are good fighters, not in terms of skills if compared to Chn, Mas n Ina pairs.. :D

19. tjl_vanguard

tjl_vanguard Regular Member

Student
    well, it'll happen if LYB is Korea's head coach.. :D

20. Louisa

Louisa Regular Member

have to agree with you...especially their 1st WD