0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ar Dan View Post
    I was trying to encourage him... in a different way

I see .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i personally shout out whenever it gets to a tight score. stuff like "COME ON!!!" and then every now and then, throw in some swearing in chinese, because most people in Aotearoa won't know i think it's a good thing to do. one, it makes you believe in yourself, and even if you lose in the end, it's clear that you played your heart out, and that's what matters the most.

i've only been mocked once, which was when i bet someone who, on paper, should have no trouble against me. after i won, i lifted my hand and said "Yes!!" and he mimicked me. but i didn't really care.

as for the rule, i'm pretty sure it's allowed. anything not directed at your opponent should be ok.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by coolhandluke View Post
    Yep. I believe it was during 2007 China Open Quarterfinals. Gade lost his cool and lost the match. Anyway, I think Gade complaining about Chen Jin's shouting is amusing considering that Gade himself shouts when the opponent makes an unforced error. You just can't let these little things throw you off your game.
    I saw that match (and some other CJ vs PG)
    From what I saw, it wasn't like that... (I mean, shouting is perfectly normal at that level)
    Chen often shouted/cheered before the shuttle hit the ground, even on some close calls... Peter was pointing at the line-judges and all...
    I think Peter Though Chen was "trying to influence the linejudges" (maybe not consciously, but that hardly matters)

At our national league, all the cards given out because of shouting was because they didn't cheer, they cursed and shouted and got a bit...carried away... Not exactly cheering

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerby View Post
    I saw that match (and some other CJ vs PG)
    From what I saw, it wasn't like that... (I mean, shouting is perfectly normal at that level)
    Chen often shouted/cheered before the shuttle hit the ground, even on some close calls... Peter was pointing at the line-judges and all...
    I think Peter Though Chen was "trying to influence the linejudges" (maybe not consciously, but that hardly matters)

At our national league, all the cards given out because of shouting was because they didn't cheer, they cursed and shouted and got a bit...carried away... Not exactly cheering
    Hey, you may be right but is there really any need for Chen Jin to influence line judges in China?

I'm all for people cheering and pumping themselves up between points but I agree with you about influencing line judges before the shuttle hits the floor. Likewise cursing or taunting opponents should be reprimanded suitably.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

haha, yeah, good point
    But I can imagine how Peter felt...(but in CJ's defense, I don't know if he really did it, or if he did it on purpose/for that purpose)

"cursing or taunting" interesting point... One could, supposedly, shout after winning a point and simultaneously taunt your opponent (cheering up easy error, looking at your opponent while yelling, standing at the net close to him, cheering at him, etc)
    In friendly matches (at our club Friday-evening badminton is one big joke/trick shot fest, very nice to play, but not serious) we like to tease each other with that sort of stuff....
    But in league matches, what would you do?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not against the rule but kinda reflect poor sportsmanship if cheering for the wrong shots like opponent mishit or he served into net... and it's not even gamepoint. When you're cheering against the opponent in such manner, you engage in psychological battle. It could weaken lesser players or motivate equally strong opponents to work harder. Basically, it's a double edge sword.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, I know how/what...

but what would you do when confronted with such "tactics" (hardly the right word)?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see a problem, in fact I felt that it improved my game and encourages my partner. Ofcourse don't abuse it to mask a shot going out or shouting at a net shot to scare your opponenets off and then dropping.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I shout when I lose a point. Never when I win a point. XD

"Aaaah!"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it's a league game, nothing much you can do. You could complain to an Umpire if the shouting was excessive and distracting.

Quote Originally Posted by jerby View Post
    yeah, I know how/what...

but what would you do when confronted with such "tactics" (hardly the right word)?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you.... cannot... be.... serious....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2