Hard time returning(lifting) smashes

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by CkcJsm, Jan 24, 2008.

1. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

Hello,
    I have a hard time lifting smashes. I can block it and it does go over the net. But I can never lift it back high up in the air.
    Any tips?
    Thank you.

2. mkwanster

mkwanster Regular Member

IT System Administrator
    is this doubles or singles game?

3. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

Any. Even when I'm doing the smashing drill.
    I can't lift back for them to re-smash during the drill.

4. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    It's all about timing... just practice receiving more smash and you'll get used to it.

5. Eddex

Eddex Regular Member

Student, Musical Director, devoted badmy player ^^
    i agree with cappy75, its all about practicing - the more you receive smashes, the more you get used to it and your timing with eventually improve.

6. h4n5ip

h4n5ip Regular Member

You might check your string. different string has different repulsion. also your string tension, high tension on some strings may minimize the repulsion.
    On top of that, you can return smash not lift high, but some kind like drive, more flat to the net.

7. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Beef up your wrist power and anticipate the shots. Move it faster. Time it properly on the sweet spot. Practice..

8. Loopy

Loopy Regular Member

Make a bigger backswing with the racket, you will then generate more power to make a higher lift.
    Don't forget to have soft wrists and grip, and tighten the grip through impact.

9. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

You have to be careful with that approach. As much as possible, you want to keep your swing short. Taking a big swipe at the shuttle is simply too slow when you're receiving a powerful smash.

Practise to concentrate power in a short swing. This requires good timing and grip tightening.

Quite simply: the shorter you can make your backswing, the better your defence will be.

10. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    The quality of the smashes you have been receiving, may have an impact on your smash return .

Flat smashes are harder to do a lift return with, while steep smashes may be a little bit easier. Ex. if you are a shorter player, a flat smash may be too high in terms of your height to comfortably do a lift return.

Also, where you stand on the court when receiving smashes may have an impact of the outcome as well. Ex. when you are standing rather close to the net, and the smash is coming at you rather flat, it is going to be very difficult to do a lift return.

#10 bananakid, Jan 25, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
  11. Loopy

Loopy Regular Member

Right, but it is better to have a backswing than none at all for smash defence. I used to defend with just doing a forward stroke with almost no backswing, and couldn't juice any power to lift it high and deep. Now, with a backswing (I'm talking about 30 to 45 degrees of racket only, no arm movements) it is easier.

12. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    You guys are all generally correct...
    apart from grip, finger techniques, the crucial point is anticipation---forehand side? backhand side?body smash?

And simply put, it usually works like this:
    if the smash is fast, backswing is minimal, and using the oncoming speed it is not difficult to hit the shuttle back to baseline using the repulsive power...
    if the smash is slower, you will have time for a little more backswing, thus you still can lift the shuttle back deep...

but most of the time i'd say backswing is minimal

13. mkwanster

mkwanster Regular Member

IT System Administrator
    -if body smash, move to a side and return it
    -do a little hop before the person hits the shuttle.
    -and what DivingBirdie said, anticipation, keep your racquet where you think the smash will go

14. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

Make sure your wrist and arm are lose and get yourself into a comfortable position. It is crucial to generate a full and smooth swing for player whom doesn't has a strong wrist to do a high lift return.

15. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    Your profile doesn't indicate your age/experience, but this could have much to do with it.

There are a lot of components to returning smashes but if your blocks are fine then you probably have the basics down. Backswing should be as close to nonexistent as you can make it.

Returning it to the back just takes a lot of time and a lot of practice. Developing the strength to do so is very difficult. It takes many players years. Start by having someone smash at you repeatedly, and just keep trying to flick it up to the back. Chances are, it will not go past halfcourt the first time.

If your form is good, it is just something that must be worked at. If your form is not good, the advice given in the above posts should be followed.

16. hybridragon

hybridragon Regular Member

Student
    From what I know, lifting for a smash generally works better in doubles than singles. If you're playing singles, you want to concentrate on drop returns than clear returns.

As for clearing it back, a compact fast flick from your wrist is what you should aiming for. Most of the people have already explained what should be done, so I'm not going to repeat what they said, lol.

17. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Depends on the type of smash; for flat smashes, it's hard to get a lift, but why would you want to? Just push or drive it back to gain the offense. It's easier for steep smashes because you can "snap" your racquet up to do a backhand lift to the baseline, but as the smash gets more flat, it becomes more difficult.

18. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

Thanks, everyone.I'm 16 and around 5 feet 1. I'm short.
    The reason I wanted to know this is because I see tons of players do it and I can't do it. Also if a person figured out this, they will easily predict where I might hit it.
    Thanks.

19. kuan84

kuan84 Regular Member

Postgrad at AU
    don't panic...:D