User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    42
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default high tension string or low tension string?

    High guys I've been playing with two rackets one is my first racket and strung it with a 25 tension(bg65) the other one is a prince y joint racket with it's standard tension of 20.

    My confusion is why is that i feel more precise and stronger smashe whenever i'm using the prince y joint racket with 20 tension that the bg 65 25 tension racket? What i know is the higher the tension the powerful the smashes or shots..

    Can you guys enlighten me?

    thanks a lot and more power!

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    SF, Bay Area
    Posts
    318
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffproX View Post
    What i know is the higher the tension the powerful the smashes or shots..
    That's where you're wrong. If you're not used to high tension, you won't play as well. Do you think you're gonna hit bombs with 30+lbs? It would be like hitting with a wooden racket. maybe 20lbs is more suitable for you.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    522
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    reading your statement, sounds like you have 2 different rackets, can you state what your "first racket" is? different rackets play differently, unless you have 2 rackets of the same model, you really can't tell which tension will suit you better.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    42
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ar Dan View Post
    reading your statement, sounds like you have 2 different rackets, can you state what your "first racket" is? different rackets play differently, unless you have 2 rackets of the same model, you really can't tell which tension will suit you better.
    Hi there! My first racket is a Yonex isometric vf. It was bought 2 years ago... also have one question, is the y joint of prince can be used in a tournament? Big tournament to be exact. Thanks a lot!

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Hong Kong SAR
    Posts
    59
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffproX View Post
    Hi there! My first racket is a Yonex isometric vf. It was bought 2 years ago... also have one question, is the y joint of prince can be used in a tournament? Big tournament to be exact. Thanks a lot!

    Didn't realise there was a restriction on the type of rackets used in 'big' tornaments nowadays? As for the string tension question, I can only say that the slightly lower tension stringbed will give more of an elastic effect; therefore giving a more powerful smash. The higher tension strings will give you a more accurate drop and net shots but smashes should be less powerful compared to the lower tensioned string job.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    42
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    ohhh. is that so? that explains it. i am very comfortable in low tensions though. Weird isn't? Other players opt to high tensiuon believing that there smashes would be more powerful. And I realizing having two racket feeling that the prince with the lower tension has the more excellent feeling than the higher tension racket.

    Thank you very much for the info.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Hong Kong SAR
    Posts
    59
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    No problem mate. Glad to share the wisdom. you're right, it's common misconception that the higher the tension the harder the smashes. I play regularly at a club in Cambridge and occassionally I string some rackets for the club members; I ask them what tension do you want your strings? A lot say they want 25lbs (cos a 'friend' has their's strung at 25lbs). I recommend that a lower tension like 22lbs would be more suitable but of course they still opt for the 25lbs option. Inevitably, when they get their racket back they aren't used to the tension so they end up playing like a beginner! I guess they probably blame for a 'bad' string job...hehe. You know what badminton players are like, always blame something/someone other than themselves

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    42
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kenyu View Post
    No problem mate. Glad to share the wisdom. you're right, it's common misconception that the higher the tension the harder the smashes. I play regularly at a club in Cambridge and occassionally I string some rackets for the club members; I ask them what tension do you want your strings? A lot say they want 25lbs (cos a 'friend' has their's strung at 25lbs). I recommend that a lower tension like 22lbs would be more suitable but of course they still opt for the 25lbs option. Inevitably, when they get their racket back they aren't used to the tension so they end up playing like a beginner! I guess they probably blame for a 'bad' string job...hehe. You know what badminton players are like, always blame something/someone other than themselves

    I remember Lin Dan a while ago.. while playing Peter Gade. His blaming the lights.. But he won the match though...

  9. #9
    Regular Member Mark A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    St Helens, UK
    Posts
    4,375
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I used to play at the bog standard 21lbs for years and years until I got my own machine. Since then I've been steadily increasing my tensions and I now play at 31lbs. I have noticed NO loss of power while moving up through the tensions - if anything, shuttles come off more willingly (many members of my club have commented on it). It also sounds a lot better.

    The relationship between tension and power is a great deal more complicated than "loose = power" - the best advice is to experiment as much as you can.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    42
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    oh. so lsing some tension isnt a great deal in power? now im soooo confused. BUt Like you guys said, i'll try to experiment on this.

    thank you!

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Beijing,Guilin,K.L & Jakarta
    Posts
    3,988
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It's personal preferrence.There's no fixed point for what tension is the best for players.PG once said,n i believe most of advanced players,they can only play at their best form at higher tension.N most of them have their own preffered numbers.28,29,30s..for most of singles.Even though i'm not an advanced player,i personally prefer higher tension.Maybe because i got the power.I prefer it strung between 24lbs-28lbs.Below that n above that,i can't really play my game.

Similar Threads

  1. best high tension string
    By jockey in forum Badminton String
    Replies: 7
    : 11-03-2009, 03:58 PM
  2. difference between high tension and low tension string?
    By Tekkai in forum Badminton String
    Replies: 5
    : 06-16-2008, 05:46 AM
  3. Too high string tension
    By darkwingduck in forum Badminton String
    Replies: 4
    : 02-26-2008, 10:41 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •