high tension string or low tension string?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by jeffproX, Jan 25, 2008.

1. jeffproX

jeffproX Regular Member

Technical Support
    High guys I've been playing with two rackets one is my first racket and strung it with a 25 tension(bg65) the other one is a prince y joint racket with it's standard tension of 20.

My confusion is why is that i feel more precise and stronger smashe whenever i'm using the prince y joint racket with 20 tension that the bg 65 25 tension racket? What i know is the higher the tension the powerful the smashes or shots..

Can you guys enlighten me?

thanks a lot and more power!

2. jump17

jump17 Regular Member

That's where you're wrong. If you're not used to high tension, you won't play as well. Do you think you're gonna hit bombs with 30+lbs? It would be like hitting with a wooden racket. maybe 20lbs is more suitable for you.

3. Ar Dan

Ar Dan Regular Member

Property Management
    reading your statement, sounds like you have 2 different rackets, can you state what your "first racket" is? different rackets play differently, unless you have 2 rackets of the same model, you really can't tell which tension will suit you better.

4. jeffproX

jeffproX Regular Member

Technical Support
    Hi there! My first racket is a Yonex isometric vf. It was bought 2 years ago... also have one question, is the y joint of prince can be used in a tournament? Big tournament to be exact. Thanks a lot!

5. Kenyu

Kenyu Regular Member

Didn't realise there was a restriction on the type of rackets used in 'big' tornaments nowadays? As for the string tension question, I can only say that the slightly lower tension stringbed will give more of an elastic effect; therefore giving a more powerful smash. The higher tension strings will give you a more accurate drop and net shots but smashes should be less powerful compared to the lower tensioned string job.

6. jeffproX

jeffproX Regular Member

Technical Support
    ohhh. is that so? that explains it. i am very comfortable in low tensions though. Weird isn't? Other players opt to high tensiuon believing that there smashes would be more powerful. And I realizing having two racket feeling that the prince with the lower tension has the more excellent feeling than the higher tension racket.

Thank you very much for the info.

7. Kenyu

Kenyu Regular Member

No problem mate. Glad to share the wisdom. you're right, it's common misconception that the higher the tension the harder the smashes. I play regularly at a club in Cambridge and occassionally I string some rackets for the club members; I ask them what tension do you want your strings? A lot say they want 25lbs (cos a 'friend' has their's strung at 25lbs). I recommend that a lower tension like 22lbs would be more suitable but of course they still opt for the 25lbs option. Inevitably, when they get their racket back they aren't used to the tension so they end up playing like a beginner! I guess they probably blame for a 'bad' string job...hehe. You know what badminton players are like, always blame something/someone other than themselves :rolleyes::D

8. jeffproX

jeffproX Regular Member

Technical Support

I remember Lin Dan a while ago.. while playing Peter Gade. His blaming the lights.. But he won the match though...

9. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I used to play at the bog standard 21lbs for years and years until I got my own machine. Since then I've been steadily increasing my tensions and I now play at 31lbs. I have noticed NO loss of power while moving up through the tensions - if anything, shuttles come off more willingly (many members of my club have commented on it). It also sounds a lot better;).

The relationship between tension and power is a great deal more complicated than "loose = power" - the best advice is to experiment as much as you can.

10. jeffproX

jeffproX Regular Member

Technical Support
    oh. so lsing some tension isnt a great deal in power? now im soooo confused. BUt Like you guys said, i'll try to experiment on this.

thank you!

11. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    It's personal preferrence.There's no fixed point for what tension is the best for players.PG once said,n i believe most of advanced players,they can only play at their best form at higher tension.N most of them have their own preffered numbers.28,29,30s..for most of singles.Even though i'm not an advanced player,i personally prefer higher tension.Maybe because i got the power.I prefer it strung between 24lbs-28lbs.Below that n above that,i can't really play my game.