US Open at SF Bay Area?

Discussion in '2008 Tournaments' started by badpp, Jan 26, 2008.

1. badpp

badpp Regular Member

Isn't it high time for US Open to move up to the SF Bay area?

With so many badminton clubs and enthusiastic players around, I am sure interests is high. Maybe even more so than in the Southland? A few questions tho:

1) Do we have the facility for it?
    2) How to kick start this movement?

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    1) in short. no and yes. the existing badminton facilities are not quite up to spec. there is a minimum ceiling height requirement for US Open level tournament, and i believe it is 30ft. only two gyms meets that requirement, GGBC1 and Bintang2. unfortunately, neither of them are large enough to hold the spectators without any view obstruction. it is hard to beat OCBC with such a large facility with high ceiling, audience stands and no poles to obstruct view.

however.

- most gyms are still able to hold smaller international series tournaments.
    - if one is motivated enough, can rent a sports arena to hold such an event.

2) to kick start it you will have different hurdles, firstly you need to find the sponsor, and next you need to get the USAB to approve it. start writing a business plan.

i too have given that possibility a thought, and did mentioned it to a couple of gym owners. the reaction is... i can put it this way: enthusiastic but have reservations. and one of them told me the ceiling height requirement. so far GGBC has made the most impact by hosting the team trial last year and will be holding the national championships this year. Mike worked really hard on getting the rights and i think he did an awesome job.

3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Pretty much correct..^^

..what kwun wrote as the main reasons/factors for the min. requirements..
    *Btw, looking fw to kwun going and covering the upcoming U.S. National tourney:cool:

4. badpp

badpp Regular Member

If we can sell the naming right of US Open maybe a big name sponsor with international recognition may come forward. Think Google US Open, Oracle US Open, HP US Open...

Wonder how long does it take to set up the badminton floor for a week long event. There are a few university basketball facility around the bay like SJSU, Stanford, Berkeley. For per-tournament practice I am sure the clubs would be happy to help out.

Hm.. Google US Open?.. maybe even a Super Series! :D :D

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    well, that sounds very good. do you have the connections? i will offer to be a volunteer if this materialize.

6. badpp

badpp Regular Member

I was just dreaming out loud, don't have the connections.
    I was hoping for the other way round, you :D or some club owner(s) come forward to organize it and I would volunteer.