Mixed Doubles

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by Dynamex33, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Dynamex33

Dynamex33 New Member

Sales & Service
    Hi everyone:

I'm just getting back into Badminton after a few years... My wife and I would like to challenge any Mixed Couples out there that would like to play sometime... We just bought new Racquets today and are ready to start playing.... We don't belong to any Clubs at the moment, but will eventually join one.. We would just like to get some games under out belts first... To gain some confidence...

We are currently just playing at the Kinsmen, but would have no problem playing other places as well... We have only been in Edmonton since 2005, so we really don't know of alot of places to drop in and play.... any info on that would be great.....
    I would also like to play singles against anyone who would like to play... I can hold my own on the court, but i'm not in that great of shape yet.... so no pro's please!! :)

2. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    come by to the Derrick Golf and Winter Club on saturday afternoons and youll find plenty of people to play against, whether u are looking for casual doubles/mixed to intense U21 singles, and everything in between.

3. Dynamex33

Dynamex33 New Member

Sales & Service
    Can you give me a start & end time... Also how much is it to drop in?

4. evylgrynn

evylgrynn Regular Member

my wife and I would also be interested as I live pretty close to the Derrick. is this an open drop in? what are the times and cost?

5. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    costs for membership is around 2000$ a year, but for saturday drop ins you can usually get in for free, just by asking the front desk to buzz you in for the badminton drop in. you can come in a few times just to try out the place, and if you like it you should join. If you play competetive you can get the coach to sponser you so can play badminton without having to be a member at the club, but i dont think youre that kind of play xD.
    saturday is completely open, drop in all day, though no one really comes until after 12pm.

6. Dynamex33

Dynamex33 New Member

Sales & Service
    That Sounds great, thank you for the information!!

I will check it out in a couple of weeks!!

Thanks again!!

7. evylgrynn

evylgrynn Regular Member

that's not bad especially compared to the Glenora membership fee. we might try it out, the coach is still Coach Mah correct?
    are there many couples that come out to play mixed? my wife and I play competitively, we play "A" level in alberta series tournaments but we'd like to get some more mixed practice in. what time are the courts open Saturday morning?

8. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    courts are open basically the entire time the derrick is open, though 1 or 2 (of the 4) courts may be used for private lessons from 2pm-6pm.

there arent very adults who play many mixed doubles on saturday, i can only think of 2 teams and neither are competetive level. you could however, play the U19 kids who go on saturday (me included) and have a more competetive match.

there is also adult ladder games throughout the week, unfortunately, mixed and womens events are a bit uncommen.

and yes, coach Zhonghua Ma is still the head of badminton at the derrick.

9. CaseyO

CaseyO Regular Member

Regional Account Manager
    I just checked with the derrick front desk and they DO NOT allow people in who do not have a membership even for one or two times to try out the club.

I would imagine this is a very uptight club and there is no trial membership, be prepared to pay thousands at your own risk!!!!!!!

10. Tweak

Tweak Regular Member

Student
    Casey, did you mention that you'd be signed in with a member of the club? There's guest fees that you need to pay if you want to use the facilities, but I'm pretty sure they won't let you in just because you aren't a member already.

If you're going to drop in, try to get in contact with someone who's also going on that day so they can accompany you. It's actually not a very uptight club, most of the people (at least the ones that are associated with badminton) are pretty nice.

11. CaseyO

CaseyO Regular Member

Regional Account Manager
    ok well good to know. the way i interpreted the msg above was that dropins were allowed to test the club out, but i suppose you have to be accompanied by a member.

i havent played in close to 2-3 years and have only been living here a year and a bit. i dont know anyone nor do i know any decent drop in locations. i tried the UofA one however way too crowded and everyone hogs the courts there. your lucky if you get 2 games in 2 hours if you go.

the only decent place to play in this whole city is either kinsmen or commonwealth and renting the courts. However, with me not knowing anyone who plays badminton it is difficult to do that as well.