"Ready?"

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by yotarou, Jan 26, 2008.

1. yotarou

yotarou Regular Member

Do you ask your opponent if they're ready before you serve?

At my high school, our coach makes us say it... I mean, obviously the opponent isn't going to say a wildly enthused "YES!" every time--I think it's more used as a way of warning before serving. But is it required or considered good etiquette?

2. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    nope, it is actually considered bad etiquette when the opponent is unready for a serve and the server gets sympathy (at least where i play)

if your opponent is unready, they should either have they head/face down, or they hand up. If neither, and the opponent is still, then u can serve and complain if they say they werent ready.

3. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Thats one way of winning and annoying them. Some say being polite. As long as the umpire doesn't ask you to shut your mouth, should be ok. As usual some will rant like the tennis fellows.

4. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    no..i won't do that.I probably would ask my partner(in MD)..but not my opponent.

5. NoName1225

NoName1225 Regular Member

i do this little thing where i lift the birdie and racket up and then after they nod, i serve

6. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

nah, it's normal practice where i play that if you're not ready, you either say so or put your hand up. otherwise, if you're looking in my direction when i'm about to serve, i assume you're ready.

7. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    i ask it at times just cause the persons stance doesnt look like there ready but they really are so i just want to make sure that they are. The only thing i hate is when there ready looking at you head up and as soon as you serve they put their head down and hand up saying they wernt ready that is open for interperation on what to do and if there just trying to play you etc, but yeah i generally ask at times if there ready if its not otherwise shown.

8. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    I don't actually ask if they are ready. If they are in a ready stance, then I assume they are ready. If they aren't in a noticeable ready stance, I usually just hold up the bird slight. My opponents usually nod if they are and hold up their hand otherwise.

9. Elixau

Elixau Regular Member

At where I play, I don't ask if my opponent is ready or not, neither will he/she ask me. I just judge if he/she is ready from him/her looking at me or not.

10. robc06

robc06 Regular Member

Editor
    As soon as my opponent puts his racket up in the ready posistion I serve, if I'm ready!!

You can use this as a tactic. Although you cant change the pace at which you get ready and serve, you can vary slightly (not seconds).

Serve a bit quicker, or slower depending on the pace of the game. If you opponent is tiring then quicken the pick up of the shuttle and ready to serve. Not allowing him time to relax.

If you need a bit more time to set yourself. As soon as your opponent looks up, serve and suprise them!