BG80 Tensions

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Shifty, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    I've read up on the posts to do with BG80 strings, and most people say that BG80 should be strung and played at a lower tension than BG65. that's what the BG80 string packet says as well, so i'm guessing it's true. the question is, how much lower in tension? i normally have my racquet strung at 26-24lbs, usually around 25lbs with BG65. i wanted to try the BG80 strings, and wanted to know how much lower should i go? perhaps 23 or 22? and will that reduce the advantages BG80 provides (lots of power)?

Thanks

2. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

If I can remember clearly, it says to reduce the tension on the Bg80's and Bg85's by 10%, compared to the normal tension used on bg65's. So I guess, 23lbs. From some other comments I've read here, the tension on the bg80's need to be reduced because of the 'harder feel' created by the vectran material contained in the strings. Btw, are BG80's available in Palmy ? BG80's cant be found anywhere in Auckland.. :S

3. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    nah, my dad bought them when he was back in china. i've only got three packets, so i'm gonna make use of them. don't want any wasted :) but it's sad how little variety there is in new zealand. and our most "specialized badminton store" i count no more than 20 different racquet types, all brands included. there are maybe 10 yonex types.

thanks for the quick reply though. i'll prob end up stringing it at 23lbs.

4. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Heh, lucky me, I had visited the 'matrix style' badminton 'weapon selection' store in Japan, Shuttle-House in Osaka. A semi-endless row of racquets,shuttles, shoes, strings, and clothes.

Back to topic, why dont you try it one pound higher at 24lbs for the 'high-tension experience' ? :)

5. RSLdude

RSLdude Regular Member

Manager
    i use to strung my racket with bg 65ti at 26 lbs. when i shifted to bg 80, i lowered the tension to 25 lbs. amazing feel and control. but since i got used to it, now at 28 x 26 lbs., the feel, control and power is really great. durability is almost the same with the bg 65ti.

6. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    I've only used BG85 at 24X26lbs.Feels great in power n control.Durability is the issue.Worn fast.Finally,i changed it for BG65-ti.

7. otterfun

otterfun Regular Member

financial analyst
  8. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    thanks for that. helps me understand it now. i'll most likely string it at 23-24lbs, because 25lbs is what i have with bg65.

9. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    Bg-80 at 23-34 lbs? My thoughts about strings at that tension especially the Bg-80 is very risky. May I ask how often does your string pop at that tension? I don't get my rackets strung much so I'm not sure.

10. jump17

jump17 Regular Member

I don't think that you HAVE follow the "string bg80 10% lower than bg65" description. I use bg80 and bg65 and my rackets are strung at 26x28 lbs. no matter which string i use.

11. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    It should not break that easy unless the person is "mis-hitting", then it would be very risky.

12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    There's a trade off between durability and playability. However, I don't think BG80 @23lb is consider as "risky". Back then, I play 5+ sessions per week, and BG80 @ 23lb lasts me about 3 weeks or so (I slice a lot). Yeah, it could be expensive, but that's the trade off.

13. otterfun

otterfun Regular Member

financial analyst
    FYI, my stats:
    1. BG80 at 25Lb on mp21 since Oct 25, 07
    2. BG80 at 25Lb on Carbonex 30ms since Nov 3, 07

Both used by me and my beginner friends, with center and off-center hits (all over the strings). Still going and only slight loss of tension on the Cab 30ms since I use that one more often. Both average about 4 to 5 hours of play a week since October 25, 07.

To me they last pretty decent since my stringer told me I would expect to break the strings in 2 months.

Hope this helps.

#13 otterfun, Jan 27, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  14. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    it's not season right now, so the BG65 lasts 2 to 2.5 months. in season, it lasts one to one and a half months.

15. RSLdude

RSLdude Regular Member

Manager
    a two month average for bg80 at 27 or 28 lbs. can be achieved even when you're playing 3x a week. the bg80 is very durable for a "high repulsion" string.

16. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    Thats great time, I'm only planning on stringing mine 24 too, so it would last even less. I think the ones who has their strings pop every month are above average players. :p

17. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    or just play too much for their own good :p:p:cool::cool:. if i'm really into badminton during the season, it'll be around 7-8 times a week...

18. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

You badminton addict !! :D