Outdoor badminton in Peryakulam, India

Discussion in 'India' started by evylgrynn, Jan 27, 2008.

1. evylgrynn

evylgrynn Regular Member

I just returned from a trip to India, while I was there I was visiting some relatives in Peryakulam (deep south India). my cousins told me how they play badminton every morning for 2 hours, on outdoor courts. I was excited to go, but I was not sure what to expect as it was outdoors and I had never played outside before
    imagine my surprise when we got there, and there were 2 sand badminton courts, with concrete lines I think. they were dedicated badminton courts, built in a schoolyard!
    at 7AM, the weather is nice and cool (about 15 degrees C), clear blue sky, no wind, perfect for badminton. there was a large group of people, all businessmen, police chiefs, etc. the skill level was quite high, all the guys there were quite good, and the games were really competitive. the people who weren't playing were sitting on the sidelines cheering and trash talking the games, and a few times we stopped in the middle of the game for a coffee break, this other guy would bring Indian coffee every so often.
    overall it was a great experience, everyone is very intense and competitive, so trash talking is prevalient, but its all in good fun. I had a great time and definitely recommend it!

2. skrsam

skrsam Regular Member

Student
    Where is Peryakulam??