User Tag List

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 220
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,469
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default The impact of bad linecalls on MSF players in KO 08 and CO 07

    I have seen discussion of bad line calls of KO 08 MSF in the thread "Hats off to Lee Hyun Il ". The thread was supposed to show how much ppl admired him for taking the MS title and how cool LHI behaved. However, in my opinion, those bad calls might have helped LHI for his achievement in KO 08 MSF, just like they helped BCL in CO 07 MSF with some major difference.

    The MSF match between BCL and LCW in CO 07 was not as close as in KO 08 with BCL playing superbly, so the impact of those calls on LCW was less for the outcome of the match, but nevertheless they did affect LCW psychologically and his performance. In KO 08 MSF, the scores were much closer in Game2 and Game3, and bad line calls actually might have impacted the final outcome of the match, not just affect LD psychologically, through which LD's performance could have been affected to tip the balance as well. So LD got a double whammy by the bad calls. That's why LD was so upset.

    Whether LD should have behave the way he did is to everyone's judgment. Think if you were in his shoes, would you have jumped up and down at the moment and fuming like he did? I would have walked out and not bother to finish it. But for the good of the sports, he at least finished the match and accept the prize.

    What happened with bad line calls in KO 08 and CO 07 MSFs was not any player's fault. But the bad calls affected who won the KO 08 MSF, but not CO 07 in my opinion. But they were all equally bad for badminton.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    philippines
    Posts
    458
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i think taufik was right in not joining the KO...haha kidding...
    international badminton should also apply tennis' hawk-eye cameras...
    for the sake of the game! pleaaaseee..
    i've never seen a match where an umpire overruled 4 line calls...
    i don't want badminton to be tainted... i love this sport so much...
    Last edited by bic33; 01-27-2008 at 12:00 PM.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    icy cold place
    Posts
    3,778
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Birdwood View Post
    I have seen discussion of bad line calls of KO 08 MSF in the thread "Hats off to Lee Hyun Il ". The thread was supposed to show how much ppl admired him for taking the MS title and how cool LHI behaved. However, in my opinion, those bad calls might have helped LHI for his achievement in KO 08 MSF, just like they helped BCL in CO 07 MSF with some major difference.

    The MSF match between BCL and LCW in CO 07 was not as close as in KO 08 with BCL playing superbly, so the impact of those calls on LCW was less for the outcome of the match, but nevertheless they did affect LCW psychologically and his performance. In KO 08 MSF, the scores were much closer in Game2 and Game3, and bad line calls actually might have impacted the final outcome of the match, not just affect LD psychologically, through which LD's performance could have been affected to tip the balance as well. So LD got a double whammy by the bad calls. That's why LD was so upset.

    Whether LD should have behave the way he did is to everyone's judgment. Think if you were in his shoes, would you have jumped up and down at the moment and fuming like he did? I would have walked out and not bother to finish it. But for the good of the sports, he at least finished the match and accept the prize.

    What happened with bad line calls in KO 08 and CO 07 MSFs was not any player's fault. But the bad calls affected who won the KO 08 MSF, but not CO 07 in my opinion. But they were all equally bad for badminton.
    Well said....LD slaughtered LHI 21-4 in the 1st game, how the heck he lost the next 2 in dueces, whoa?? Bad calls just left a sour taste everywhere, there screwed up the game and fans except those fans who are partisan to their favorite players and wanna see them win regardless. I think true fans wanna see fair games played and may the best player win, exhibit and thrill us with the best baddy moves, no game fixing, no false calls, thats why Hawkeye is needed.
    As for LD reaction in KO08 with the score so close (or TH in a similar situation), I may react worse...if someone who is hiding behind the safety of a computer screen and type infuriating words only to say he is afraid of open confrontation/conflict, well, you cannot have the cake both ways, I would wait my chance and say bring it on, bet on it.Hahaha!!!

  4. #4
    Regular Member ants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Malaysian Citizen of the World
    Posts
    13,157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think this shows that LinDan was mentally weak? Well its probably based on what some might say. But personally i think Lee Hyun Ill deserve the win. He was under pressure actually to play in homeground after coming 2nd place in MO and win over LCW and the rest, furthermore Lindan did hold match point in the 3rd set while Lee was still 2 points behind. He was composed and calm.
    Too bad Lindan was badly affected by the call. And the calls either bad or good was during the crucial games. The other matches which include and doesnt not include the Koreans did not have any bad calls at all during the KO.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Milpitas CA, USA
    Posts
    2,700
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ants View Post
    I think this shows that LinDan was mentally weak? Well its probably based on what some might say. But personally i think Lee Hyun Ill deserve the win. He was under pressure actually to play in homeground after coming 2nd place in MO and win over LCW and the rest, furthermore Lindan did hold match point in the 3rd set while Lee was still 2 points behind. He was composed and calm.
    Too bad Lindan was badly affected by the call. And the calls either bad or good was during the crucial games. The other matches which include and doesnt not include the Koreans did not have any bad calls at all during the KO.
    I don't think this incidence shows Lin Dan is mentally weak, no one wants to lose and in the middle of the heated war, temper flies is very common. I don't think Chong Wei or Taufik will handle this situation any better? However, Lin Dan should not have thrown the racket towards Li Mao, that was uncall for and Li Mao also should have restricted himself into shouting confrontation, both are Chinese from the same country, not well represented.
    Look at the positive side, this incidence most probably will force WBF to take some sort action to prevent poor line judgment in coming tournament.

  6. #6
    Regular Member robin7's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Puchong Prima
    Posts
    13,684
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bic33 View Post
    i think taufik was right in not joining the KO...haha kidding...
    international badminton should also apply tennis' hawk-eye cameras...
    for the sake of the game! pleaaaseee..
    i've never seen a match where an umpire overruled 4 line calls...
    i don't want badminton to be tainted... i love this sport so much...
    The umpire of LCW-BCL match in China Open 2007 is from China itself. If the umpire is from other country and with such overrules (as in Korea Open 2008), the outcome could have been different (LCW might have won the match).

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    221
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bic33 View Post
    i think taufik was right in not joining the KO...haha kidding...
    international badminton should also apply tennis' hawk-eye cameras...
    for the sake of the game! pleaaaseee..
    i've never seen a match where an umpire overruled 4 line calls...
    i don't want badminton to be tainted... i love this sport so much...
    Yes you're right that is the solution,but BWF is too slow to react.Very slow pace federation.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,469
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ants View Post
    I think this shows that LinDan was mentally weak? Well its probably based on what some might say. But personally i think Lee Hyun Ill deserve the win. He was under pressure actually to play in homeground after coming 2nd place in MO and win over LCW and the rest, furthermore Lindan did hold match point in the 3rd set while Lee was still 2 points behind. He was composed and calm.
    Too bad Lindan was badly affected by the call. And the calls either bad or good was during the crucial games. The other matches which include and doesnt not include the Koreans did not have any bad calls at all during the KO.
    If LHI knew the linesmen were helping him intentionally or unintentionally, in my opinion, he might be encouraged to hit his shots more to the lines. At least it would have definitely boosted his confidence and level of play. That could be an added benefit of the bad calls on LHI. On the other hand, it put even more constrains on LD's mental state in such a tight match. I saw in CO 07 MSF, after some of the bad line calls against LCW, he was much more afraid to hit anything close to the lines, while in contrast BCL was as confident as a player could be.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,469
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robin7 View Post
    The umpire of LCW-BCL match in China Open 2007 is from China itself. If the umpire is from other country and with such overrules (as in Korea Open 2008), the outcome could have been different (LCW might have won the match).
    You're sure about this? Never heard of own umpire presiding over own open final in such an important event, which involved one of its own player. What happened to the conflict of interest, let alone the appearance

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    UAE
    Posts
    496
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i think the focus needs to be on the quality of line judges.

    a lot of times the line judges in matches featuring home players tend to inevitably get swayed into favoring close calls in favor of the home player.

    many wud say that this is part and parcel of sport, for eg- cricket, where
    in a test series, home nations make pitches favored to their strenghts.

    agreed that the stakes are high in tournaments of the profile of the KO and the MO, one expect's the professional refs to be more proactive to ensure fair match conditions on court.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,611
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Birdwood View Post
    I have seen discussion of bad line calls of KO 08 MSF in the thread "Hats off to Lee Hyun Il ". The thread was supposed to show how much ppl admired him for taking the MS title and how cool LHI behaved. However, in my opinion, those bad calls might have helped LHI for his achievement in KO 08 MSF, just like they helped BCL in CO 07 MSF with some major difference.

    The MSF match between BCL and LCW in CO 07 was not as close as in KO 08 with BCL playing superbly, so the impact of those calls on LCW was less for the outcome of the match, but nevertheless they did affect LCW psychologically and his performance. In KO 08 MSF, the scores were much closer in Game2 and Game3, and bad line calls actually might have impacted the final outcome of the match, not just affect LD psychologically, through which LD's performance could have been affected to tip the balance as well. So LD got a double whammy by the bad calls. That's why LD was so upset.

    Whether LD should have behave the way he did is to everyone's judgment. Think if you were in his shoes, would you have jumped up and down at the moment and fuming like he did? I would have walked out and not bother to finish it. But for the good of the sports, he at least finished the match and accept the prize.

    What happened with bad line calls in KO 08 and CO 07 MSFs was not any player's fault. But the bad calls affected who won the KO 08 MSF, but not CO 07 in my opinion. But they were all equally bad for badminton.
    Well said, I can't agree more!

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    san jose
    Posts
    116
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    " The MSF match between BCL and LCW in CO 07 was not as close as in KO 08"

    I kind of disagree on your point of view. All controversial calls were favored to BCL that totally destroyed the game.
    In KO08, at least 3 calls went to LD by umpire otherwise LD would have lost the game in 6 points spread.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    12,045
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Birdwood View Post
    You're sure about this? Never heard of own umpire presiding over own open final in such an important event, which involved one of its own player. What happened to the conflict of interest, let alone the appearance
    Yup, Birdwood. You can fly off the watch the vid again on CO 2007.

  14. #14
    Regular Member huangkwokhau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    everywhere
    Posts
    18,446
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Birdwood View Post
    You're sure about this? Never heard of own umpire presiding over own open final in such an important event, which involved one of its own player. What happened to the conflict of interest, let alone the appearance
    In CO Open as I was there...all umpires and service judge are from China with One Korean umpire was invited for the tournament...but during Final, Korean umpire was rested....(), so All Chinese umpires were in the final...Cheng Du event are one of the worst also but nothing compare to KO...

    I think BWF has applied the right move that in 2009, all SS have to have at least 8 foreign umpires.....in MO, there were 5 foreign umpires.......

    It takes time for BWF to apply the rules, remember that in BWF, there are 5 countries can block any outcomes...INA, CHN, MAS, KOR and DEN.....( not sure about ENG).

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    151
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robin7 View Post
    The umpire of LCW-BCL match in China Open 2007 is from China itself. If the umpire is from other country and with such overrules (as in Korea Open 2008), the outcome could have been different (LCW might have won the match).
    the unpire is not from china

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Brisbane!
    Posts
    4,751
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dannyang View Post
    the unpire is not from china
    excuse me?

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    KL
    Posts
    4,746
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The Umpire made four great calls (correcting the line judges) and one bad call (and I suspect he was not sure whether it was out or in --- so really cannot blame him).

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Impact Rackets
    By puggy in forum Racket Recommendation / Comparison
    Replies: 11
    : 05-15-2013, 10:43 AM
  2. FS: Impact N90 (SG)
    By zhikang in forum Buy & Sell - Read the rules sticky before you post
    Replies: 0
    : 02-09-2012, 10:39 AM
  3. IMPACT shuttlecock....
    By george@chongwei in forum Shuttlecock
    Replies: 1
    : 10-10-2007, 09:52 AM
  4. impact bws 99
    By zhafir92 in forum Badminton Rackets / Equipment
    Replies: 2
    : 08-25-2007, 08:46 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •