The impact of bad linecalls on MSF players in KO 08 and CO 07

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Birdwood, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

I have seen discussion of bad line calls of KO 08 MSF in the thread "Hats off to Lee Hyun Il ". The thread was supposed to show how much ppl admired him for taking the MS title and how cool LHI behaved. However, in my opinion, those bad calls might have helped LHI for his achievement in KO 08 MSF, just like they helped BCL in CO 07 MSF with some major difference.

The MSF match between BCL and LCW in CO 07 was not as close as in KO 08 with BCL playing superbly, so the impact of those calls on LCW was less for the outcome of the match, but nevertheless they did affect LCW psychologically and his performance. In KO 08 MSF, the scores were much closer in Game2 and Game3, and bad line calls actually might have impacted the final outcome of the match, not just affect LD psychologically, through which LD's performance could have been affected to tip the balance as well. So LD got a double whammy by the bad calls. That's why LD was so upset.

Whether LD should have behave the way he did is to everyone's judgment. Think if you were in his shoes, would you have jumped up and down at the moment and fuming like he did? I would have walked out and not bother to finish it. But for the good of the sports, he at least finished the match and accept the prize.

What happened with bad line calls in KO 08 and CO 07 MSFs was not any player's fault. But the bad calls affected who won the KO 08 MSF, but not CO 07 in my opinion. But they were all equally bad for badminton.

2. bic33

bic33 Regular Member

i think taufik was right in not joining the KO...haha kidding...
    international badminton should also apply tennis' hawk-eye cameras...
    for the sake of the game! pleaaaseee..
    i've never seen a match where an umpire overruled 4 line calls... :(
    i don't want badminton to be tainted... i love this sport so much... :D

#2 bic33, Jan 27, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  3. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Well said....LD slaughtered LHI 21-4 in the 1st game, how the heck he lost the next 2 in dueces, whoa?? Bad calls just left a sour taste everywhere, there screwed up the game and fans except those fans who are partisan to their favorite players and wanna see them win regardless. I think true fans wanna see fair games played and may the best player win, exhibit and thrill us with the best baddy moves, no game fixing, no false calls, thats why Hawkeye is needed.
    As for LD reaction in KO08 with the score so close (or TH in a similar situation), I may react worse...if someone who is hiding behind the safety of a computer screen and type infuriating words only to say he is afraid of open confrontation/conflict, well, you cannot have the cake both ways, I would wait my chance and say bring it on, bet on it.Hahaha!!!:D :p

4. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I think this shows that LinDan was mentally weak? Well its probably based on what some might say. But personally i think Lee Hyun Ill deserve the win. He was under pressure actually to play in homeground after coming 2nd place in MO and win over LCW and the rest, furthermore Lindan did hold match point in the 3rd set while Lee was still 2 points behind. He was composed and calm.
    Too bad Lindan was badly affected by the call. And the calls either bad or good was during the crucial games. The other matches which include and doesnt not include the Koreans did not have any bad calls at all during the KO.

5. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    I don't think this incidence shows Lin Dan is mentally weak, no one wants to lose and in the middle of the heated war, temper flies is very common. I don't think Chong Wei or Taufik will handle this situation any better? However, Lin Dan should not have thrown the racket towards Li Mao, that was uncall for and Li Mao also should have restricted himself into shouting confrontation, both are Chinese from the same country, not well represented.
    Look at the positive side, this incidence most probably will force WBF to take some sort action to prevent poor line judgment in coming tournament.

6. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    The umpire of LCW-BCL match in China Open 2007 is from China itself. If the umpire is from other country and with such overrules (as in Korea Open 2008), the outcome could have been different (LCW might have won the match).

7. Temasek Green

Temasek Green Regular Member

Yes you're right that is the solution,but BWF is too slow to react.Very slow pace federation.

8. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

If LHI knew the linesmen were helping him intentionally or unintentionally, in my opinion, he might be encouraged to hit his shots more to the lines. At least it would have definitely boosted his confidence and level of play. That could be an added benefit of the bad calls on LHI. On the other hand, it put even more constrains on LD's mental state in such a tight match. I saw in CO 07 MSF, after some of the bad line calls against LCW, he was much more afraid to hit anything close to the lines, while in contrast BCL was as confident as a player could be.

9. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

You're sure about this? Never heard of own umpire presiding over own open final in such an important event, which involved one of its own player. What happened to the conflict of interest, let alone the appearance :confused::eek::mad:

10. avataar

avataar Regular Member

i think the focus needs to be on the quality of line judges.

a lot of times the line judges in matches featuring home players tend to inevitably get swayed into favoring close calls in favor of the home player.

many wud say that this is part and parcel of sport, for eg- cricket, where
    in a test series, home nations make pitches favored to their strenghts.

agreed that the stakes are high in tournaments of the profile of the KO and the MO, one expect's the professional refs to be more proactive to ensure fair match conditions on court.

11. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

Well said, I can't agree more!

12. sepang

sepang Regular Member

" The MSF match between BCL and LCW in CO 07 was not as close as in KO 08"

I kind of disagree on your point of view. All controversial calls were favored to BCL that totally destroyed the game.
    In KO08, at least 3 calls went to LD by umpire otherwise LD would have lost the game in 6 points spread.

13. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Yup, Birdwood. You can fly off the watch the vid again on CO 2007.

14. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    In CO Open as I was there...all umpires and service judge are from China with One Korean umpire was invited for the tournament...but during Final, Korean umpire was rested....:)eek::eek::eek:), so All Chinese umpires were in the final...Cheng Du event are one of the worst also but nothing compare to KO...

I think BWF has applied the right move that in 2009, all SS have to have at least 8 foreign umpires.....in MO, there were 5 foreign umpires.......

It takes time for BWF to apply the rules, remember that in BWF, there are 5 countries can block any outcomes...INA, CHN, MAS, KOR and DEN.....( not sure about ENG).

15. dannyang

dannyang Regular Member

the unpire is not from china

16. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
    excuse me? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

17. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

The Umpire made four great calls (correcting the line judges) and one bad call (and I suspect he was not sure whether it was out or in --- so really cannot blame him).

18. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Looking ahead positively..

..possibly and let's hope so..:cool:
    ..yes, the main umpire, during the 2007 China Open MS Final, was from China. You can read all about the "controversy" in the 2007 China Open thread/sub-forum..

19. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Umpires, service judges are from China...thats the fact!!!...Pls accept it as I was there...Kwun was there too.....only referee head is from Netherland, I think.....one Korean Umpire which was not being used in Final...thats weird!!!

20. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    it is sad for anybody to have to play in that condition. be it LCW in china open 07 or Lin Dan in korea open 08. not saying that BCl and LHI did not deserve the win but without the bad calls the win would be sweeter because people will not wonder if you would have won it if not for the calls that favours you. this is not helping the game at all. :(