Excercises For Shoulders

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by KazeCloud, Jan 27, 2008.

1. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    Hi. I have acute shoulder pain when I play badminton. It usually occurs a day after I play and I don't think its muscle. It usually hurts when I try to underhand backhand clear, but on some occasions even overhead shots. I have found a couple of sites showing rotator cuff muscle exercises. I was wondering if they are right for me. It may be good for anybody looking to prevent injuries too.

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/upper-body-exercise.html

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/rotator-cuff-exercises.html

2. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Rotator cuff training for fixing shoulders was so five years ago. It turns out that if the shoulder blades are unstable, then strong rotator cuff muscles won't matter because they'll be in the wrong spot to exert force. Some much better shoulder exercises:

- pushup +
    - scapular pullup
    - face pull

3. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    Oh okay. But how would you know if my shoulder blades or unstable or just not strong enough? I'm a pretty buff person though.

Can you explain what scapular pull up and face pull up is? Are they just regular pull ups?

So rest and push ups are going to help from the join pain I'm getting?

4. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Being buff has nothing to do with it. In fact, I'd guess that most gym goers (especially those who bench press) tend to have a higher incidence of shoulder problems because their training exacerbates their issues.

Basically, there's a limited amount of space inside your shoulder (the sub-acromial space) for where things can move around. When this space is compromised as a result of poor posture, things don't move around as smoothly, and BAM! you get shoulder problems.

Now, there are a few movements that make this space smaller: shoulder elevation, internal rotation and protraction. Conversely, strong shoulder depression, external rotation and retraction help keep that space open. Most "shoulder fixers" articles like yours focus on external rotation, but the other movements are very important as well.

Scapular Pull-up:
    Hang from a pullup bar with straight arms, and pull up with only the shoulder blades (you should only move a few cm). When you get to the top, hold that position for time. This exercise teaches you to keep your shoulder blades depressed.

Face-pull
    On a high cable machine, use the rope attachment. Pull the weight back towards your face -> this exercise works scapular retraction and external rotation. Conventional rowing movements, which pull to below the shoulders, also work scapular retraction but internal rotation as well.

Pushup+ (or scap pushup)
    This one's for those who like to bench press. . Some conscientious gym rats might have mostly the right idea and try to balance bench pressing (horizontal pressing) with a form of horizontal rowing. However, it turns out that the bench keeps your shoulder blades from moving around, hence leading to disfunction in the the protraction movement. The fix here is to practise shoulder protraction: get into a pushup position, and do them with your arms straight (again only moving a few cm)

5. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    Hm. I may only be able to do the scap push ups. Its the push up where you move down by your shoulders and keep your elbows unbent right? Will that exercise alone help in the areas that you suggested? I can't really get my hands on any machines.

6. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    I also feel a slight pain when doing the scap push ups. When I go up from them it hurts at the joint where I feel pain.

I'm will try to google search movements that can facilitate scapular retraction, internal rotation, external rotation, and shoulder depressions that does not require machines. Would I be hitting the right ballpark Stumblingfeet?

I really don't want to suffer anymore pain from my shoulders.

#6 KazeCloud, Jan 27, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2008