Bad knee injury. need advice

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by molid, Jan 28, 2008.

1. molid

molid Regular Member

skwl kid
    hi guys. i was playing badminton the other day and as i was going for the clear i fell back and as i did i dislocated my knee. luckily as i fell fully over i heard it crack back in to place. i have been to the hospital and now in crutches for about 3 weeks as they said i may have fractured it aswell. :(
    im just wondering when i come out of the cast in a few weeks whats the best way to train back up to the level i was. iv been told months of physio will be needed but just wondering whats the best light training on court or off i may need.

2. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    the best advice is to do what the doc / physio says. write down all your questions an ask him/her/them.
    i'm currently recovering from a ruptured achilles and while there is loads of advice and exercises on the web, there are just as many stories about recurrence of the injury - don't go too fast. you will get back to where you were - patience is the key

3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

This may not be as "lucky" as you imagine. When a joint relocates easily, it's usually a sign that the ligaments are loose (either because they were originally loose or because the dislocation stretched them a lot).

Get professional medical advice, and follow it.

4. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    dear dear... sorry to hear this unfortunate thing. Accident happens.
    Avoid strenuos runs at all cost. Go easy on the game. Simple 1-2 stepper game will do. use wrist work more and drill it. Never be TEMPTED to run! Again like the others said, get advice from physio regularly to check on the condition. Swim! All the best!

5. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
  6. bonchu

bonchu Regular Member

sorry to hear about your injury. i had 2 cruciate ligament reconstructive surgeries on both knees (and yes, badminton did that to me), but i was back playing again after ~ 6 months physio. You have to be very patient; listen to your physiotherapist and do your exercises in a pace. these exercises are good for strengthening your leg muscles, so it won't be a loss eventhough you don't hit the birdie. by the time you return playing, your legs will be ready and strong. don't rush it or it'll take you longer to get back. good luck and take care.

7. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

I personally think you should ask your doctor about a knee brace.
    Also even is he said 3 weeks, I suggest give it one more week 4 weeks.
    But you need to go slowly when you go back to badminton.

8. robc06

robc06 Regular Member

Editor
    End of last year those who might remmeber I had a orthoscopy. I had torn my meniscus and taken a part of my knee bone out.

I was on crutches for six weeks and physio for 3 months. My quad atrophied and after a lot of physio, swimming, cycling its now re gaining strength.

Whats most important, is to listen to your physio and Dr. I would suggest getting a sports physio so they know exactly what stresses are placed on your leg.

What exercises the physio give you, make sure you do. Dont push yourself too hard too early.

I hope you recover soonest.

9. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Besides taking out the loose fragments of meniscus and bone, what else did the orthepedic surgeon do? How big was the inuried area? Did he/she poke holes in the injuried area to induce bleeding (microfracture)?

10. robc06

robc06 Regular Member

Editor
    He drilled holes into my knee through into the cartlidge, to allow the cartidlge to grow through the holes filling the void in my knee cap. The damaged bone area, was 15-20mm in circumfrance.

The torn cartlidge, due to continuous playing had began to tear further. 5-8mm on the left side of the meniscus.

It was the most frustrating six weeks. I thought I would be walking again within a couple and back training by early Dec. But I had to stop and listen to the Dr's. My physio and Dr were both right with their recovery period.

Info on tears:

The tear, some tears they can cut the tear off and then re shape the reminaing cartlidge over. The shaped cartidlge wont be as strong but will be almost 100%.

Other tears, if its in the part of the meniscus which receives blood (10% of the meniscus gets blood to it) surgeons can leave the tear to heal itself.

11. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Yeah, duration of physiotherapy after microfracture is one year. Lucky you had meniscus damage and not articular cartilage lesion.