English Nationals 2008

Discussion in '2008 Tournaments' started by Ben Beckman, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Ben Beckman

Ben Beckman Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    Hi Everyone,

This is mainly to the British members but have any of you got any thoughts on the seedings for the nationals or any thoughts in general. I'm 6th seed and aiming to better my quarter final place of last year.

Seedings found on www.badmintonengland.co.uk

Ben

2. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    hehe - damn, you beat me to it -

congrats on being seeded

nice to see that clark / robertson are getting back together for the tournament..

i think the mens doubles should be interesting this year - altho blair/lindley could run away with it.

i'm waiting for city council to let me know if i can shoot at the tournament so if you see a young lad with limp taking pics, you'll know it's me - give me a nudge.

3. Ben Beckman

Ben Beckman Regular Member

Badminton Coach
  4. coops241180

Product Owner
    hehe - yeah i took a look. you'll be meeting tim vickers in the second round. if he manages to beat wrigley - he used to play for my club, but he left us last year..

good luck!

5. crosscourt

crosscourt Regular Member

Legal
    I've never been to this. What's the atmosphere like?

6. coops241180

Product Owner
    i've linejudged at it for the last 4 years..

there isnt really any atmosphere - typical british reserve... and it's not in a big venue.. friday the stands are mostly empty - usually sold out on sunday for the finals tho.. and quite busy for the late session on saturday when it get to quarter and semi final phases..

7. d65up2

d65up2 Regular Member

Student
    How is it compared to the Indonesian National Championship say Kejurnas cos I heard my fren said England is currently rank no 2 in Badminton after China and would be seeded 2nd in Thomas Cup....can u guys confirm on this??

8. andy_s

andy_s Regular Member

Bill Payer
    What has happened to Nick Kidd?
    Is he injured? He seems to of dropped off the radar completely!!!!

9. coops241180

Product Owner
    hehe - i'd be incredibly shocked if we were seeded 2nd. denmark have stronger players in all fields - apart from ladies doubles perhaps..

indonesia have stronger MD, XD (hmm), MS. so perhaps we could beat indo's if we won the mixed but i think nova/vita would beat nathan/gail these days

malyasia - are stronger too - MS, MD, LS they would certainly win..

i'm not sure what happened to Nick this year.. perhaps he's bored of it.. maybe focussing on his training for the olympics - altho i don't know if he'll qualify, andy smith is looking pretty good for the only english mens singles player for the olympics - he hardly ever turns up to the nationals..

MS will be wide open this year i think.. Rajiv is favourite, but Nathan Rice and Aamir Ghaffar can beat him, amongst others - it will all depend who wants it on the day.

unfortunately BE red tape is preventing me from going to take photo's....

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    perhaps seeded #2 in the European qualifier?

with all due respects, but i too cannot see how England can be seed #2 if seeded at all.

11. d65up2

d65up2 Regular Member

Student
    Ya I think thats the case I read my uni article wrongly...Yap England is seeded no 2 in Euro qualifier both in Thomas n Uber Cup...Denmark is first seed but instead they wrote China.....Publishers these days...

12. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    Carl Baxter played pretty ok at recent Malaysia Open. I don't quite see his name in the draw.

Tobey Honey seems quite famous.

13. coops241180

Product Owner
    hehe - Carl Baxter doesn't qualify apparently - i don't think he's played enough tournaments at home.... i think :S, either that - or he's not been 'english' for long enough... i think he is a foreign import..

hehe - toby honey - i think he's been studying this year - not played many tournaments - but he's a bit of a fighter and will give any of the players a run for their money..

14. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

I think his involvement in international events must have clashed with to many local matches... What do you mean he's an 'import'??? sounds English to me or is he Welsh???

His BWF ranking is under ENG.

15. coops241180

Product Owner
    he's like badminton englands answer to greg rusedski - he's canadian :)

i think he has to spend three years here before he can enter the nationals..

however he is allowed to enter BWF events for England (that sounds a bit crazy - but it is badminton England we're talking about.)

16. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

Hilarious.

I hear the BUSA twice champion Harry Wright is up against the much talked about Toby in the 1st round. Who'd win u reckon?

17. coops241180

Product Owner
    no idea. bound to be a 3 setter - altho looking at the last elite event Harry pulled out injured.. so you never know - he might not get past two games..

18. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

is this the tournament??

from www.badzine.info

[​IMG]Peter Gade, Gail Emms and Thomas Laybourn are amongst the big names which will be missing from the National Championships which are going under way this week end in most European Countries. Peter Gade, still not feeling well after his come back from Korea, has bowed out of the tournament he's won so many times, leaving to Kenneth Jonassen the best opportunity to win.

Mixed double player Thomas Laybourn, also, had to withdraw and left his spot together with Kamilla Rytter Juhl to his friend Lars Paaske.

In England, Gail Emms also has still not recovered from the Illness she got in the far East and will be skipping the National Championships. Anthony Clark and Donna Kellogg now look as strong favorites for the title. Roberston is still on in the men's double with Clark.

In France, the return of the Former National Champion Nabil Lasmari as top seed of the event has led to some controversy as the shuttler – who has a double nationality – is representing Algeria in the International competition – he has his ticket for Beijing almost secured for the African country – but still participating in the National Championships in France. And his chances to claim the title are good as he’s shown in the French Interclub he is still amongst the very best.

All these National Championships can be followed in the local versions of Badzine : www.badzine.de for Germany, www.badzine.fr for France, with an exclusive TV coverage on www.badzine.tv

19. coops241180

Product Owner
    certainly is - i didn't know that the danes and the french had their national championships around the same weekend though... might explain why raphy hasn't been answering his email... he'll be at the french no doubt!

20. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

Interesting. Even the Irish Nationals are on Feb 2nd.