Power difference

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by ohnanersdany, Jan 28, 2008.

1. ohnanersdany

ohnanersdany Regular Member

Student
    I was wondering, how much of a power difference are bg 80s compared to bg 65 ti? Also what would be a proper string tension even though it varies for players, I was thinking of changing the strings on my hl8800 dragon to some bg80s for more power at 22pounds. I'm an aggressive player if that matters at all. Thanks!!

2. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Frankly, I don't think you can get real power with 22lbs on a modern racquet. I would suggest you get a friend's racquets and try out some that are strung at different tensions, say fro 22lbs to 30lbs. If you can handle the higher tension ones then choose that tension. For BG80 just reduce the tension by 10% from the highest tension you have chosen.

3. sifuyono

sifuyono Regular Member

Follow me on Twitter: @sifuyono
    POWER MORE DICTATES BY string tension, power difference between string type is small imo

4. RSLdude

RSLdude Regular Member

Manager
    at 22 lbs., no signicant power. try 4 pounds more. moreover, try a slightly head heavy to head heavy racket, medium-stiff to a stiffer shaft to generate the power you need.

5. ohnanersdany

Student
    Thank you, i was also wondering if i should leave my ns9000s with 65ti or go with nbg95? Also since chinese new years is coming up, i was thinking of getting a ti-10 and stringing it with bg 80s at 25 lbs, do you think thats a good setup?

#5 ohnanersdany, Jan 29, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  6. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

no one can determine that for you, it's really a matter of personal preference. unless these guys can watch you play, see how you handle the stiffness of the racquet, your swing etc, it's really hard to recommend something so subjective in a forum.

it's not like ordering a new tv or commenting on a new sat nav, the way your body/arm/wrist works will determine which racquet/string/tension is best for you. i agree that the best thing to do (if possible) is to try out different racquets with strings and tensions to determine which setup is best for you.

over the last few years, i've strung my racquets at different tensions with different strings and i still don't think i've found my ideal set up. i now know what i definitely don't like though, it'll take a bit more tweaking to find the optimum balance.

7. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Try BG80 at 23lbs. It's gonna be stiffer, but if you get used to that you can slowly increase your string tension if you want to.

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    BG80 (0.68mm) is thinner than BG65ti (0.70mm), therefore, even strung under the same tension, you will feel BG80 is a lot tighter.

Personally, I say the safe approach for now, is to strung with Bg80 with the same tension, and see if you can handle the stiffer feeling or not. If no, increase the tension with smaller steps of 1 or 2 lbs each time, until you are satisfied.

Yes, ppl can say such approach is on the expensive side, but 2 or 3 extra string job cost (US$40 - 60 range) is still much cheaper and safer than injuries which cost by high tension.

9. ohnanersdany

Student
    Wow, honestly i didn't know that there is so many variables to consider, thank you for the info. One last question, does string tension cause you to feel more of the shock because whenever i play, i get bruises and blisters between my thumb and my index finger, or is that due to the grip being to sticky? Thanks again!!

10. Athelete1234

Student
    Tension that is too high may cause unwanted vibrations which will run up your forearm, but should leave bruises or blisters. You should try getting a larger grip; it sounds like your grip is shifting between your fingers so it may be the cause of your blisters.

11. ohnanersdany

Student
    Can you recommend a few specific grips please? Thanks

12. Athelete1234

Student
    Well, its more like grip size is the bigger factor. Any grip will do, just try getting any overgrip to make your grip bigger.

13. ohnanersdany

Student

Would it be weird to wrap 2 overgrips?

14. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    i have 2 overgrips on mine and i don't see anything wrong with that. I do it because it give more cushioning.

15. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Regular Member

Consultant
    not necessarily. i know of people who have doubled up on their grips. whatever feels most comfortable for you, and will increase the feeling and touch, you should go with. i can imagine that a double overgrip could be very comfortable.

as for stringing, when i switched from bg65s to bg80s, i loved the feel. i put my bg80s at about 23/24 lbs, and it felt great. strong and clear noise, and i felt that the 80's were more precision strings and could feel most of my shots much better. as for power, i had a much stronger smash after i switched to bg80s. so i guess my recommendation between the two strings would be to go with the bg80s at 23/24 lbs.

however, now the only strings i use are bg85s at 25 lbs. it has wonderous feel (much moreso than both the 65's and 80's), and terrific power, but i can't exaggerate enough about how much touch i have with the bg85's. if i could recommend any string, those would be it.

good luck on the court!
    harrison

16. ohnanersdany

Student
    TR\hanks for all the info, this thread can officially be closed now. =D

17. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    Agreed in some ways..but it does matters if u compare 0.65 with 0.75.:D
    N what is the player used to play with.Advanced players r quite sensitive with the string n its tension.If he isn't used to it,i'm afraid his hit isn't as powerful as it used to be.:rolleyes:

18. sifuyono

sifuyono Regular Member

Follow me on Twitter: @sifuyono
    0.75? didn't it 0.70?
    better reduce tension if you're looking for power, then you'll realize how much the difference.
    disadvantage of 65ti is just it's quite slippery imo, could reduce accuracy if you don't know how to aim a hit