Linesman issue from BWF.

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by extremenanopowe, Jan 29, 2008.

1. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Here's a note from a unanimous BWF member.:D suggestion to make it better welcome. I can relay to him.

Yes, incidents like these are bad promotion for badminton.
    The over-rule by chair umpires was brought in in 2006 to overcome problems with bias linesmen.
    And also 'forcing' host countries to bring in and cover the costs of independent referees & umpires from other countries when running an international event.
    Unfortunately for a Super Series event, we require over 100 linesmen.
    These cannot be brought over from overseas being cost prohibitive, linesmen are taken from local pool.
    I will be advising BWF to de-register linemen who 'cheat' and put in place structures that will shame them in their own badminton community and future participation by them in any of their local & national tournaments.

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i see the above suggestions wouldn't solve much. Here's why:

1.umpire can only or should only overrule line calls that he can witness him/herself. For ex,, the french open, the shuttle didn't go over but the umpire made the wrong call even tho he HAS THE BEST VIEW ANGLE of the entire stadium.Even far away audience can see it correctly. In term of lines, the umpire can only see ~25% of the court clearly to have enough confident to overrule a linesman.

2. For SE asian cities(or any major cities in the world), banning certain linesmen is futile because the population is so high, people are born faster than u can de-register them LOL Plus, what prevent them from busing in more locals from the surrounding cities?LOL

3. How can u shame the bad linesmen from the host country????? He is the hero LOL. Look at 08 KO, birdwood said one lady linesmen was clapping her hand with glee when LHI won a point. I bet that linesmen who made the bad call will boast 'I beat lin dan' to all his buddies. He prolly even go have a 'I beat lin dan' t-shirt made for himself LOL

#2 cooler, Jan 29, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  3. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    ugh... the first time ive seen a badminton video crack the 'most viewed today page 1" of youtube and its a shameful incident like this.

anyways, why or why wouldnt tournament level badminton work with self calls? Then its merely up to the player for being honorable. rather naive i know, but it wouldnt make such a mess of things as these bad line judges have.

4. bad_fanatic

bad_fanatic Regular Member

Day dream about being a Pro Badminton Player
    I think what angers people more then a bad line call, is when there's a bad line call in favoring of the home contender. People do make mistake and we accept it. But in certain cases, it's almost like favoritism, which angers spectators or us followers of the sports.

It feels good when your countryman wins the gold, but don't let his victory be stained with controversy like bad line calls.

What I think BWF should do is have the linesman for the quarter finals, semi finals and finals be from a different country of the players. Or better yet, have other Service Judge and Umpire be linesman for those evens. I know it'll cost more money to employ them but BWF employs the linesman as well. You have 5 events that uses different Umpire and judges, so there's 10 in total. 2 of them will be either the Umpire or service Judge, so just the the other 8 or linesman.

5. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Well I read some comments, and for a lot of people, that was their first time ever watching badminton.....

As for cameras, I dont' see what's so expensive about them. Max you need for a court is 8 cameras, and then you have maybe 4/5 courts. That's a max of 40 cameras. For an international federation, you'd think that they'd be able to afford that!

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

why re-invent the wheel? Cameras are used for replay and call verification in almost all sports.

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

if bwf gonna spend the extra money, spend it on carmers.
    U can't never able to standardize and QC every umpire and linesmen to every party's satisfaction. Human makes errors, unintentionally AND sometime intentionally.

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Oh my, my, my..

..my, my, my, my....is that true???:eek:...although i just checked and it's now ranked #4...Too bad it hasn't made news yet, here, in the states..:p

9. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Just have sensors, like in Tennis, so the players can "Challenge" the call.

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    that is very very sad...

11. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    What a way to promote badminton!....:p even shameful incident is a good pubilicity for Badminton.....;)

12. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Yeah... Badminton will be famous if the Badminton Arena will be the next UFC for badminton players and coaches.

13. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    edit: the video is no longer on the front page, probably cuz it was posted more than 1 day ago.

14. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    PR people have a saying:
    talk bad about me
    talk good about me...
    just talk about me!

Perhaps all this attention (read: notoreity) isn't bad for the game ;)