New MBS flying clamps - same as Hi-Qua?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Mark A, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

After much hype from MBS, their own-brand flying clamps have finally appeared:

http://www.mybadmintonstore.com/shop/product_info.php?currency=GBP&products_id=429

They look superficially identical to the blue Hi-Qua version, but they are slightly cheaper (and since I intend to buy 4-6 of them, it mounts up). Has anyone used these before and is in a position to compare them to the Hi-Quas?

(On a side-note, I string my own rackets at 28/31 lbs nowadays - would 4 of these clamps be capable of holding that kind of tension?)

2. malayali

malayali Regular Member

namaskaaram..
    Flying clamps are not as efficient in holding tension as the fixed clamps, but 28/31 should be just fine if you use 4 of them....

3. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

I am about 90% sure that it is not MBS flying clamp is NOT the same as HiQua (I remember HiQua is all steel while MBS is AL). And if I am right, the MBS clamp will hold up to 28 lb without slipperage. BG85 will slip at higher than 28lb.

4. ryeung

ryeung Regular Member

I'm pretty sure the hiqua clamp is aluminum. It is quite a bit lighter than the one from Eagnas. I emailed mbs and they said that the 2 clamps are identical. I was more interested in the spring tension. I notice that the eagnas is stronger than the hq.

5. silentheart

I had a set for testing before and according to HiQua website
    http://www.hiquasports.com/badminton/clamp-fly.htm
    it is all steel construction. Unless they forgot to update the info which is a possibility.

6. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    As an additional information, I had all steel Alpha flying clamps and all Alpha aluminum flying clamps. They perform about the same.

7. punchclear

punchclear Regular Member

I have a pair of each...

I use 2 Hi-Qua and 2 MBS Flying Clamps.
    I'm of the opinion that they are very much similar (performance-wise).
    Have not encountered problems with slippage when stringing at 28 x 31 lbs.
    Hope this helps...:)

8. ryeung

ryeung Regular Member

I stand corrected. I was just going by the weight, feels awful light for steel.

9. ryeung

ryeung Regular Member

How do the mbs clamps feel for spring tension. Are they about the same as the hq. I wouldn't mind if they were a little stronger.

10. punchclear

punchclear Regular Member

They are about the same as the HQ ones, not stronger.
    I pair them up (1 HQ clamp with 1 MBS clamp) on each side when tensioning the mains. For crosses, I use (up to) 3 of them.
    I do not experience 'slippage' when doing so...;)

11. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Eagnas version

I also found these:

http://www.eagnas.com/maxgen1/pn3050.html

Superficially, it looks like the Hi-Qua and MBS clamps look to be of higher quality, but I'm happy to be wrong (especially for $15). Has anyone used these Eagnas clamps wo can compare them to the Hi-Quas?

12. ryeung

ryeung Regular Member

I have one of them. They have a much stronger spring, which I like, but the jaws don't open as wide which makes it much harder to clamp a pair of strings that are a bit wider apart. In fact, at times, they can be a real pain. I also have a hiqua clamp and it is much easier to use, although the spring is not quite as strong.

13. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Review coming up

I have just ordered four of the MBS clamps - I will use them to do my AT800 at 28/31 and post a review as soon as it's done;).

14. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

The Review

First things first: hats off to Winston and MBS - I was told to expect 8 - 12 days for delivery; they arrived in 5:D.

Ashaway MP - 28.25/31

My first impression was that these are quality products. The surface finish is a gorgeous piano black that looks to be extremely hard-wearing, and the spring action is very strong. They were a little smaller than I expected, but I've never used spring-loaded flies before. I reasoned that if these little guys could do one of my insane 28/31 jobs, then they would suffice for anything else I would encounter. I wasn't disappointed.

I used a pair on each side for the mains, incrementally stepping outward after each pull. I felt the clamped pairs for any sign of slippage - there was around half a millimetre which, to be honest, is about the same amount that my swivel clamps lean when taking up the strain.

Onto the crosses, and I used three in a row on each pass; where there wasn't room for three, at the top of the frame, I reverted to the swivels (which was fine - I was up to over-pulling for the knot by then anyway). There was no significant slippage during this phase either.

If I had one gripe about this clamp, it's that the separator bar (between the moving jaws) could do with being 3-4 mm wider - the strings were being pinched together slightly more than I would have liked. However, there was no more setting off to be done than if I'd used swivels alone.

Time-wise, I would estimate that 8-10 mins was shaved off the stringing process while the same level of quality was achieved.

I can't compare these to the Hi-Qua stablemates, nor can I comment on how they would perform with thinner string (or higher tension, come to think of it) but, based on the job I just did, I would say they are an excellent investment.

15. ryeung

ryeung Regular Member

I have made several purchases from them and their shipping have always been good. The pictures on the website does not show it but do the mbs clamps have the beveled center section like the hiqua clamp? The eagnas does not and it makes it quite a bit more difficult to push on to the strings.

16. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Yep, there are bevels where the moving faces meet the centre section - this really helped the clamp drop between the strings, by the way. I am more and more convinced that these are basically resprayed Hi-Quas (which is no bad thing:D).

17. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    That's the same complain I had for HQ, as u need to re-straighten crosses after clamping. Now days, I use HQ for main, and Yonex for cross. ;)

18. silentheart

I second what Master LB said. Yonex for cross because it is smaller and fits better for cross and tight area.

19. cliffhu

cliffhu Regular Member

researcher
    Well, this morning, I felt that Yonex clamb is not wide enough for a Prince Axis 64 racket on the crosses...

20. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Is that the Y shape racket? If so, then almost none of the clamps in the market can fit for the cross, especially the ones toward throat area. :eek: