Should I Restring

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Smashis, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Smashis

Smashis Regular Member

I don't know if anyone has a Muscle Power 21 but from what Ive read the tension seems loose with the factory strings, thats the general consensus. So I'm pondering if i should get it restrung over the weekend as I have an important tryout the next week. What tension(reccomended by yonex 18-23lbs, does it matter if i exceed?), What string(yonex)? The racquet is not giving me enough power on my clears and smashes, meaning i think im putting too much effort into every shot, it really wears me down in the long run. The power is compared to my friends NC Tuff 9 which allows the birdie to fly off the strings on impact with little effort. Any advice?

2. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

The reason why 'the birdie flies off the strings on impact with little effort' on the NC Tuff 9 is most likely because of its head-heavy balance. For the strings and the tension, it all depends on your preference. Do you want a top-durable string, a top-repulsion string, or a top-control string ?
    Most people here would reccomend you the BG80 because it's good in all aspects. And for the tension, it's ok to go over the reccomended string tension, but your warranty will be voided. It's not so often that someone breaks their racquet anyway, so I'd reccomend a tension somewhere around 24 - 25lbs. Just dont go too high, because it will put more pressure on the frame and thus, the probability for the frame to break is higher, and also the high tension will make your deltoids hurt :S.

Good luck.

3. Smashis

Smashis Regular Member

I'm looking for a good mix so i'll probably go with the BG80, but just being curious what if i wanted to lean a lil toward repulsion or lean i little towards control what would you reccomend for each variation. Btw. thx for the quick response.

4. Ar Dan

Ar Dan Regular Member

Property Management
    BG85 if you're looking for more repulsion, it will have the same level of control as the BG80.

5. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Second that, "In expense of durability." :)

6. Smashis

Smashis Regular Member

how long are we talking duarbility wise
    if i play once a week? with the bg80 compared to 85

7. Ar Dan

Ar Dan Regular Member

Property Management
    If you play that only once a week, you'll probably replace the string because the strings lost tension more likely than having it break on you.

8. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Oh, I know a solution! BG70 PRO!. Holds tension well, and performs well too!

9. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    If u need a better string,u should change the factory string.Depends on what kind of game u play,u can seach for preferrences tensions n strings in the forum.

10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Any string shop's work should come out better than the factory default combo. If you want to take a shot at BG80, personally I suggest to start with 22 or 23 lb at most. BG80 is a lot of thinner, therefore, it will feel much tighter compare to thicker string, even under the same tension. BG80 @25lb or beyond is way too much of a jump from loose and thick default string.

11. ph_leung

ph_leung Regular Member

I fix things
    Yes, most Yonex prestrung tensions are low. The people doing the tryout should (hopefully!) be able to tell the difference between a clear or smash that doesn't have enough power due to a deficiency of equipment compared to technique and fitness.

IMHO, if you have been using this racket and string combination for a bit and have an important tryout, maybe you should put off changing the strings until afterwards? Unless you have some experience with quickly adapting to a change of tension, you may lose consistency.

BG-80 22-23lb is a safe bet as many have mentioned in other threads.

As a reference, when I started playing, tensions of 16-18lbs was considered high tension and ~14 was about normal. Smashes and clears we did back then wouldn't be considered too lacking even by today's standards.

12. Smashis

Smashis Regular Member

You make a good point ph_leung i wanna stay consistent for the tryout. So i guess ill restring using BG80 at 22lbs after i make the team. Thx guys for all the help rly appreciate it.

13. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    I won't recommend BG70 Pro if the player is not used to tension higher than 25lbs. BG80 is perfect for 18~24lbs range. Any higher and they will wear out faster. BG70 Pro at tension lower than 25lbs just feels dead:(.

14. Smashis

Smashis Regular Member

Hi guys. I went to the stringing place and all they have is the BG-70Pro, BG65Ti, Ashaway Powergut 65 Neon and the Ashaway Micro legend-XL. I want to string my MP-21 at 23lbs. What string out of the 4 above-mentioned would you reccomend?