jump smash

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by flyingfox, Feb 1, 2008.

1. flyingfox

flyingfox Regular Member

how do u judge at which point you need to jump in order to hit the ball at the right time :rolleyes:

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    with practice, lots of practice

3. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Looks like the wrong word since the word ball is not used in badminton (different sport!!). It's actually shuttlecock/shuttle/bird/birdie.

Jump smashing takes practice and to be able to natually do it on their own.

4. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Practice normal smashes until you have good control of them first.

5. and_rew

and_rew Regular Member

you should try getting a friend or partner to send up some really high shots to you and then you should try watching the birdy intill its just low enough and then its all about timing i guess, i learned how to jump smash with the help of volleyball because i would be in power position( smashing) and i learned how to jump smash in badminton that way so ...

6. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    all about timing you have to time it right nad make sure that your hiting it when your at the height of your jump and now on the way down etc. best way to learn is to master the smash 1st then move onto the jump smash and just practice and get your coach to help or somebody to feed you shuttles and they work on your timing for hitting it and jumping.

7. varun.bits

varun.bits Regular Member

student

i totally agree with smash master..... this is the perfect way to learn jump smashes.... as i am too working ton the same :D

i feel this is the only way......

8. aerotus70

aerotus70 Regular Member

no advice, guess learning how to smash 1st before jumping :)

9. the_oro

the_oro Regular Member

pretty boring profile -_-
    learning when is the appropriate time to jump actually isn't THAT hard
    you're pretty much just doing a regular smash but curling your legs

it took me about an hour or two of my friend feeding me to get the timing, now i can do it with a lift anywhere from how high i can possibly jump to 3 inches above standing smash.. my lack of lung capacity is stopping me from doing it as much as i want in singles though (my greatest weakness! grr.. somehow i can jump smash for 2 hours though -__-")

so ya, just get a friend to feed you for a while and solely work on jump smashing, it'll also improve your consistency on regular smashes too. when my friend gave me a bad lift that i couldn't jump at i just did a normal smash and was surprized how little i was hitting into the net

now i gotta work on power, which hopefully won't ruin my timing

10. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

Tips to improve timing on jump smash

Yes Timing is the most critical aspect of the jump smash.

To hit it well and very hard, you need to hit it squarely at the highest point and transfer your full body weight (eg trunk rotation + unflexing of the knee).

One lazy tip I learn is simply to jump backwards.

Your knees will guarantee to bend at 90 degrees...and you will put enough of your body into the shot..
    (before or during) jumping, your non-racquet shoulder should be facing the net to get the full trunk rotation.

Jumping up backwards gives you 'hang time'** so that you will have the extra timing to hit the shot with a full swing.

**similar to Michael Jordan's fade away.

11. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    i don't think that's too smart in the long run. it's fine if you're jumping backwards as part of footwork to get to the shot, and hit it at the top of your jump. but that's not really a "jump" smash.

why you have plenty of time, NEVER jump backwards. it should always be up and forwards. that way, as you land, your momentum is moving forwards, and your center of gravity is aimed towards the front of the court, allowing you to chase down the return. jumping backwards means yo're off balance after the shot, and still flying out the back of the court, meaning you most likely won't get to the next shot.

it's never easy, and the only way is practice. it might help to take short cuts out, but won't pay off later. jump smashing is all about timing. it is made very hard due to the intricate flight path of feather shuttles.

my only advice is to practise it lots. most often during club games, where you're really mucking around. that's often the best time to try new stuff out. if there was an easy way, i'd be playing against Lin Dan and not on BC :D:D:D:D

12. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student

no offence, but that sounds really wrong and extremely injury prone...
    I wouldn't advise anyone to try that.

And seriously, whether you're having your legs bent 90 degrees or 80, is highly unimportant when you're beginning to learn the jump-smash. My advice is ---learn the scissors-jump smash first...soon you'll discover much similarity between a 1-leg and both-leg take-off;)

13. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    you deffinetly do not want to be jumping backwards to hit a jump smash, you want to be moving forward into it. Because if you are moving into it you can use that energy to your advantage as well.

Jumping backwards will make your recovery hard since when you land you will be going back and then push forward where as when you land moving into it you have the momentum pusing you forward.

I agree with DivingBirdie and once you learn to scissor kick you will have a better chance of learing the jump smash since you are already off the ground when preforming a scissor kick and all that changes is that a jump smash is a 2 leg take off, etc. As well as the angle of your legs doesnt really matter if its 90 or 80 or 70.

14. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

I used to jump backwards.. it didn't work really well. The smashes were so flat.. sometimes it made me do jump clears instead of jump smashes.
    My knees didnt bend at 90degrees either.. infact, my legs were sort of like.. infront of me because only the upper body bent backwards when I jumped backwards.
    I do agree that it gives us more 'hang time', but I think that practising the usual way ( jumping straight up/ jumping up+forward )is better off in the long run..

15. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

Feedback

Hi All,

Thanks for your feedback. I understand what you guys are saying.

I disagree with diving birdie....the knee bend is extremely important, no knee bend, no power...period.

But a jumpsmash is if you look like this in mid-air: (BPF logo)

Regardless if you jump straight up, forwards, sideways or backwards.

I can do all of them...but I mean jumping backwards is the easiest as gravity is doing the work for you.

Besides....I only jump back in Backcourt of doubles game....never in singles or in halfcourt.

Ref: http://www.badmintonsite.com/

Attached Files:

16. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    ugh that maybe a real pic of a person's siluette, but u toke ur reference from a logo, i think u got burnt enough, maybe you should let it go Badmintan, you shouldnt "jump backwards" its not a jump smash, your probably thinking of a scissor jump towards the backcourt, which is more footwork technique then anything. for a real jump smash the jump should be forward always as above and explained above. moving backwards will result in loss of power and control and retrieving the next shot will be nearly impossible.
    my advice to the OP is to practice a normal smash, then try a 1 foot smash, were the rear foot pushes to make a hop and the opposite foot does a 90 degree bend and turns with the body, you can look it up i've seen several videos that show this type of footwork.
    then move onto 2 legged jumps.
    just keep practicing and practicing.