User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default BWF to probe scuffles at South Korean Open

BWF to probe scuffles at South Korean Open
    (source: M'sia's The Star daily dated 3 Feb 08)

LONDON: The Badminton World Federation (BWF) will investigate scuffles that marred last week’s men’s singles final at the Korean Open and will consider introducing technologies used in tennis and cricket.
    Anne Smillie, chair of the BWF sport committee, has called for a full report and said that such incidents were happening too often.
    Last Sunday’s final of the Super Series event between China’s Lin Dan and eventual winner Lee Hyun-il of South Korea featured a number of line calls over-ruled by the umpire, which led to scuffles and heated exchanges.
    “All of this is damaging to the image of our sport and undermines confidence in the results,” Smillie said in a statement.
    “Players, coaches, technical officials and team officials at court side have a code of behaviour to follow. The game needs to be exciting and closely fought, but we all want to see the result determined by the players, not by courtside officials – or who can argue the loudest.”
    Smillie said that the BWF would look at other options to take the heat out of official decisions, including technologies used in tennis and cricket.
    The BWF deputy president, Datuk Punch Gunalan, said: “In this Olympic year, when badminton will be under the microscope in Beijing, the players need to be confident that the game is officiated professionally, while respecting the technical officials’ decisions.”
    The BWF will hold meetings at the next Super Series event, the All-England in Birmingham in March, where the issue of technology will be discussed.
    The sport committee are also talking to referees and umpires to look at the possibility of having independent umpires operating as line judges during major semi-finals and finals.
    World number one Lin Dan has refused to apologise for his part in the fracas in Seoul, which began when he threw his racquet in the direction of South Korea’s singles coach Li Mao, who is also Chinese.
    The throwing incident sparked off a shouting match between Lin Dan and Li Mao and play was momentarily halted as match officials struggled to restore order.
    Lin Dan’s coach Zhong Bo also intervened, pushing Li Mao, who shoved him back, and officials had to step in to separate them. – Reuters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another report from nst online..

Badminton: BWF considers technology to combat line calls

THE Badminton World Federation will investigate scuffles that marred last week's men's singles final at the Korea Open and will consider introducing technologies used in tennis and cricket.
    Anne Smillie, chair of the BWF sport committee, has called for a full report and said such incidents were happening too often.

Last Sunday's final of the Super Series event between China's Lin Dan and eventual winner Lee Hyun-Il of South Korea featured a number of line calls overruled by the umpire, which led to scuffles and heated exchanges.

"All of this is damaging to the image of our sport and undermines confidence in the results," Anne said in a statement.

"Players, coaches, technical officials and team officials at court side have a code of behaviour to follow.
    "The game needs to be exciting and closely fought, but we all want to see the result determined by the players, not by courtside officials - or who can argue the loudest."

She said the BWF would look at other options to take the heat out of official decisions, including technologies used in tennis and cricket.

BWF deputy president Datuk Punch Gunalan said: "In this Olympic year, when badminton will be under the microscope in Beijing, the players need to be confident that the game is officiated professionally, while respecting the technical officials' decisions."

The BWF will hold meetings at the next Super Series event, the All England Open in Birmingham in March, where the issue of technology will be discussed.

The sport committee is also talking to referees and umpires to look at the possibility of having independent umpires operating as line judges during major semi-finals and finals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope BWF is willing to use technologies to improve the quality of line calls and take some real actions to discipline any officials, players, and coaches who has bad behavior during the match.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, they have no choice & they better do it fast before more damage is done! Time is running out!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Badminton is now becoming an extremely passionate sport, and when mixed with a nationalistic tendency in some major Asian badminton countries, an create conditions that may get out of hand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally! x.x we really need something like those cameras in tennis :P thatll be cool man!

They can even use the "snicko" (people in NZ and watched cricket shud know this :P) sound detection thingy used in international cricket (which tells you if the ball has been nicked and caught etc.) in badminton's point of view, it can tell if the shuttle has been struck/nicked before it goes out ^^ smart!

Badminton's getting technological!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anne Smillie, the chair of the BWF Sports Committee, was not mincing her words when she said "All of this is damaging to the image of our sport and undermines confidence in the results."

With that, LD can expect the worse from BWF if an apology is still not forthcoming. I hope he gives it some thought and understand the 'weight' of what he had done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by X Ball View Post
    Anne Smillie, the chair of the BWF Sports Committee, was not mincing her words when she said "All of this is damaging to the image of our sport and undermines confidence in the results."

With that, LD can expect the worse from BWF if an apology is still not forthcoming. I hope he gives it some thought and understand the 'weight' of what he had done.
    Who to blame for "undermines confidence in the results"? I'm sure that Anne Smillie was not just talking about LD in MSF KO 08

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Birdwood View Post
    Who to blame for "undermines confidence in the results"? I'm sure that Anne Smillie was not just talking about LD in MSF KO 08

No, I did not say LD was the only one ANNE was talking about. But LD will be in the investigation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, I did not say LD was the only one ANNE was talking about. But LD will be in the investigation.
    I agree. Maybe all parties, including biased linesmen, should issue apology. Did LM apologize (if he did, my apology for not following this closely)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree. Maybe all parties, including biased linesmen, should issue apology. Did LM apologize (if he did, my apology for not following this closely)
    Yes I agree. A lot of apologies maybe forthcoming in this. My contention in all this is strictly on the behaviour of LD who should not have thrown the racket. I will not condone his behaviour.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now only they're looking into it.... dunno how long some more before it's implemented... the technology part I mean...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Sense Of Urgency

Hopefully they (BWF) got high sense of urgency towards this problem which they lack of before,otherwise the song remain the same,unchanged melody..
    Biased-World-Forever..!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Umpire to become line judge!

To me, include technology will certainly bring the game to a higher level in term of game popularity and of course the quality of game.
    As Beijing Olympic is just around the corner, Umpire to be a line judge is a temporary solution.. Why not?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think LM admitted that he said anything before LD threw the racket. So I don't think he will apologize.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Lin Dan vs. Limpele

Two extremes of reaction after bad line calls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCdUgLuRTF8

This is the most ridiculous line call I have ever seen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ye333 View Post
    I don't think LM admitted that he said anything before LD threw the racket. So I don't think he will apologize.
    That would be interesting to find out. According to interviews of LD, ZB, and the umpire, LM said something before LD threw the racket.

Interviews of LM (post #1), LD (post#6), and ZB (post #7):
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...ad.php?t=51838

Phone interview of the umpire (if it's correct):
    http://news.wenxuecity.com/messages/...12-516590.html

-----

Thanks for the link below. It makes me feel Kor linesmen did the biased line call intentionally

Quote Originally Posted by ye333 View Post
    Two extremes of reaction after bad line calls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCdUgLuRTF8

This is the most ridiculous line call I have ever seen.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast