Opening of World Badminton Foundation Offices

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by cxytdn, Feb 2, 2008.

1. cxytdn

cxytdn Regular Member

Opening of World Badminton Foundation Offices
    31 January 2008​

The World Badminton Foundation was officially launched on Saturday 26 January 2008 in Seoul, Korea. The Badminton Europe Confederation was represented by the President and General Secretary, Tom Bacher and Brian Agerbak.

Many rumours of the Foundation were floating around after the BWF Council had called for an EGM to propose the early termination of office of the BWF President, Dr. Kang Young Joong. In the rationale was used the involvement of the BWF President in setting up this Foundation.
    So what was unveiled while visiting the opening? Was the Foundation really competing with BWF?

The answer is that it was very difficult to determine where and how the Foundation could be competing with the BWF. To get a better understanding it would be necessary to look at the objectives of the two organisations.

The BWF is an International Federation, recognised by the International Olympic Committee, which was founded by independent Member Associations and the core business is organising World Championships and governing the sport of badminton globally.

The Foundation is an organisation whose objective is to financially support worthwhile projects for sport, culture and education. It is understood that the word badminton should perhaps be replaced as the Foundation will also be supporting non-badminton projects e.g. scouting activities and activities for less fortunate young people.

At the opening of the Foundation it was informed that the starting capital was 10 million USD. This was supposed to be raised to 25 million USD by the end of the 2008. Of the capital 5% could be released per year to support projects.

So the outset is actually that the two organisations have one thing in common - the support of badminton. However, that seems to be the only correlation and it is difficult to see why the Foundation can not be used positively rather than trying to portray a conflict. Could the Foundation not be seen as a supplement to the existing sources of funding for development projects of the badminton community?

Badminton Europe will recommend to its Member Associations to build their own opinion based on facts and to seek out the truth of the matter. Do not judge the Foundation wrongly based on hearsay.

Let us return to the rumours surrounding the EGM called to overthrow the BWF President. The Foundation is seemingly the prime reason for calling the EGM but is it a sensible reason?

Badminton Europe Council strongly opposes the call for an EGM only 10 weeks before the AGM. This has been clearly formulated to the BWF Council. Our view seems to be shared by the Asian and African Badminton Confederations. We hope the BWF Council will listen to its Members and cancel the EGM.

Attached Files:

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Could you please quote the source of this information including the date so that we could verify?

Or is this article written by you?

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Badminton Europe (News released on Thursday 31-Jan-2008)

OK Loh... :):):)

Source of this information: Badminton Europe (News released on Thursday 31-Jan-2008)

Link: http://www.eurobadminton.org/news_item.aspx?id=9441

#3 chris-ccc, Feb 2, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2008
  4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Wow!!..

..another international Badminton body in the mix?!?!..:eek: :confused:...One is BWF and the other is WBF...With the Olympics coming up on the horizon, hmm, this should be an interesting development to follow...

5. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

Don't be surprised if anything gets thrown between BWF and WBF :cool:

6. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    It is always healthy to get opposition. That will keep them on guards and not slack...

7. sumbadder

sumbadder Regular Member

you guys didn't read the article close enough. the WBF isn't set up to be a competitor to BWF.

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Well I thought the name itself tells you something. If at all this organization is set up to help all sports and other worthy causes, its name should not be specific and to me, certainly confusing and competing with the BWF and I don't think this is a good idea as it has sent confusing messages to the sports fraternity.

If WBF wants to support badminton in particular, as its name appears to be, one better way not to be seen as competing is to work closely with BWF in major projects for example.

9. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    WBF might come up with their own league i guess. That might be a steeping stone to the 2nd tiered players.

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

WBF to BWF is quite similar to KLRC to BAM

Agree with you ants, :):):)

What I see about WBF to BWF is quite similar to KLRC to BAM.

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    USD$25million is a lot of money. it means that they are serious about what they are doing.

to me, the naming and the intent of the organization is still questionable and uncertain at this point. what i know is WBF won't be able to take over BWF in the long term. BWF is the only organization recognized by the IOC.

however, WBF will be able to help develop badminton. which means all of us will benefit.

but unfortunately, it seems unlikely that BWF and WBF will have a chance of cooperating. it is unfortunate as we can see the ability of Kang to raise money, if Punch didn't go have a big fight with him the US$25mil would have easily gone into BWF instead of WBF. no one will ever talk about cameras and computer line system being expensive anymore.

12. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

United We Stand, Divided We Fall

So, in other words, "[SIZE=-1]United We[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] Stand, Divided We Fall[/SIZE]". :):):)

Yes, I would hope that BWF could/should work with Kang... I can see that Kang has a genuine interest in Badminton at heart.

13. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    No one should be above the game of badminton, neither Punch nor Kang. The BWF should not be challenged or seen to be challenged by any organization, in overt or covert disguises, because it just demeans the sport. Also money should not be seen to "buy" or corrupt what is proper.
    The honourable way is to comply with the statutes of the BWF to settle any dispute. Otherwise, anyone who doesn't get his or her way in the BWF and who has big "money" can always buy his or her way in, only for another millionaire or billionaire with a bigger purse to topple him or her. The cycle repeats. This is not a club level sport where you can buy a whole club with money-like some Premier soccer clubs-but a worldwide governing body not unlike, say FIFA in soccer.

14. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

hopefully these organizations can continue to promote the sport of badminton. despite having a large fan base in Asia and ethnic Asians living outside the continent, the sport is still not as widely accepted as other sports such as tennis.
    with the establishment of this organization, more funds can be put into developing the sport in "alien" countries, most of which are in Africa, the Americas, Oceania and Europe (basically the whole world!)

15. Malayrulez

Malayrulez Regular Member

Taneepak is it only because of the name you see the Foundation as challenging the BWF. Do you know the objectives of the Foundation?

I am wondering how a Foundation can compete with BWF. It is very much against how Foundations normally work. Foundations are giving and supporting. They are not organising World Championships, having Member Associations or involved with Olympic Games.

When looking up the word Foundation in the Wikipedia the definition is:

A nonprofit organization (abbreviated "NPO", also "non-profit" or "not-for-profit") is a legally constituted organization whose primary objective is to support or to actively engage in activities of public or private interest without any commercial or monetary profit purposes. NPOs are active in a wide range of areas, including the environment, humanitarian aid, animal protection, education, the arts, social issues, charities, early childhood education, health care, politics, religion, research, sports or other endeavors.

When we look at the word Federation the Wikipedia defines as:

A federation (Latin: foedus, covenant) is a union comprising a number of partially self-governing states or regions united by a central ("federal") government. In a federation, the self-governing status of the component states is typically constitutionally entrenched and may not be altered by a unilateral decision of the central government.

The definitions are very far apart.

Should badminton not embrace this possibility of funding to grow our sport and try to seek ways to cooperate rather than see ghosts and exclaim corruption?

16. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    looks like a competitor to me. Again which is good. Let the market or fans decides as to who is better. Credibility will show in the end. If you are good in anything, nothing to loose correct? 'save badminton, save the world'. hehe.

17. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    But isn't it strange for a foundation with its global objective of funding sports, education, and culture, to consist of only Badminton people who were well known to be at loggerheads with the BWF? What do they know about other sports, education or culture? It looks more like a shadow badminton "government", waiting in the wings. Good strategy, but may backfire.

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Although I smell something fishy it's left to be seen what comes up next.

Competition is good in general, but not when it creates frictions and factions that result in two competing camps trying to take power. It becomes too political for the good of world badminton. Instead of channelling all its resources into promoting the game, the in-fighting and fire-fighting here and there will distract from the main goal.

If money can buy power to destroy what has been achieved so far, and we have seen how difficult it is, then it becomes a mockery of the top leadership of world badminton. Badminton will inevitably be placed in a very bad light.

The leader in this new organisation happens to be the leader of the world badminton body. If he can't influence his committee to support his ideas in the world badminton body, then he should step down and not try to create more problems as he is currently doing. :(

19. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    This Might Just Be What Badminton Needs!

The launch of the World Badminton Foundation, in my opinion, is far from something ominous. Rather, I see it as a very positive development.

Personally, I'm quite fired up by Young-joong Kang's determination to pull badminton out of its current stagnant environment... for if anyone is capable of it, it's he.

What particularly endears Kang and his development strategies to me is his love for badminton. Many of us would agree that badminton is a sport that should rightfully be a global passion, rather than an Asian export that commands at best a derisive regard in much of the developed world.

Fortunately, Kang is no eager freshman... he has created a niche industry and a powerhouse within it. Perhaps he will now do for badminton through the WBF what he has done for education through Daekyo and its outreach concept.

I'd greatly hesitate to either write off Kang or the WBF or, worse, label them as entities with nefarious motives ;)

20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I hope your optimism is not misplaced! ;)

My stand is neutral. But I would not like to see two entities trying to compete for the control of world badminton. It has happened before and nearly brought world badminton to its knees. Thankfully good sense prevailed in the end and the two entities merged to become one.

Remember the current BWF Council consists of representatives from the world over, not only Asia but Europe as well. But it seems that fingers are being pointed at Asia for the so-called "backwardness" (for want of a better word) of Europe. Just that Asia is seen to be more active because the top players hail from Asia and not without good reason.

There is unfortunately little or no information regarding Mr Kang's love for badminton as you claimed. Rather what we read was his love for political manoeuvers to win over Council members but he failed miserably as he is now the subject of an 'ejection' attempt.

If Mr Kang has had foresight and good ideas to promote world badminton, he would have won the support of Council members. If he was as generous as he is now painted to be by establishing the Foundation, and had he contributed his enormous wealth to developing BWF projects when he 'was' at the helm, I doubt the majority of Council members would object as they themselves are badminton loving people to have come forward to serve their respective countries as representives.

I don't agree that world badminton is stagnant. Progress has been made. Perhaps it could have achieved much more if Mr Kang has led his committee well and not engaged in unproductive activities to further retard BWF's aspirations.

But we shall see what happens next and whether Mr Kang can be of any good to world badminton. :rolleyes:

#20 Loh, Feb 5, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2008