What do I do about these lifts?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by zehow, Feb 3, 2008.

1. zehow

zehow Regular Member

So I'm an decent player. Played a lot of singles in high school. As a result, I could lift pretty well and high deep serves weren't a problem at all.

But one day this week, I woke up and went to play and my lifts were TERRIBLE. No accuracy, nor precision. It was like the birdie had a mind of it's own. Earlier this week and last week, while playing, I had noticed that when I lifted to start the bird off while just rallying, the bird would often go off to the right a bit. Now, my lift control has totally gone out the window.

My lifts were accurate and precise before. For example, in singles games, I preferred to serve high and deep to their backhand corner, and the birdie would go there. Sometimes, I'd say to myself: okay, I'm going to serve to their forehand corner.. and the birdie would oblige. Now, when I tell myself I'm going to lift to a certain place with a certain height, it never goes there. And I can't even lift well while I'm just hitting around with people. It goes in all directions.

Obviously, I'm slicing the lift sometimes. But even when I consciously correct for it, my control and placement still stink. What happened? (no injuries recently, arms and wrist and whatnot are fine) What are some methods or drills I can do with myself to correct this? Thank you for your help.

2. coley

coley Regular Member

engineer
    practice i think would be the answer, i think all of us have gone through a stage where we simply cant hit the shuttle, just practice and be patient, im sure it will come back to you easy enough

3. Phuong

Phuong Regular Member

or it could be due to the "bad days" where our hits would be like cra* compare to usual hits. I usually had 1 of those days per week:eek:

4. coley

coley Regular Member

engineer
    very true Phuong! i just wish my baddays were only 1 day per week!lol

5. NanoBatien

NanoBatien Regular Member

If you get a bad day, is it better to play less (or stop immeadiately) to avoid locking in the bad technique. Or is it better to play more to try to get your good technique back?

6. coley

coley Regular Member

engineer
    i reckon that depends on the person, theres no definate answer. personally ill carry on playing a few more games, but if things start to get worse i tend to just chill out put the rackets in the bag and head for the showers, usually followed by the bar!lol:D

seriously though ove never seen the point of continuing to play if things are going terribly, i find that my game just gets worse and thats when rackets can get broken!