Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: SuperBowl

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Do you know..

Quote Originally Posted by demolidor View Post
    Finally more or less watched all the wildcard games except vikes - philly (picture kept freezing). Hadn't watched a single game all season nor read anything so a few surprizes for me . (not to mention nfl preview mags cost double the us cover price in euro's over here and there's only one to choose from: Lindy's)
    Warner still playing (who was he supposed to tutor again? Oh yeah Leinart), Tiki Barber: sideline reporter (not looking out of place), Cards solid on the skill positions, Flacco throwing 60 yard lobs . Colts getting screwed in OT by the refs on one of the holding calls although another replay would have settled it (seemed to me the ball was not in the air yet), Sproles looking like Barry , not to forget: Ed Reed still the man.
    Coudn't be bothered to dl and watch regular season games the last 2 seasons, wouldn't have time to watch it anyway with all the college football I also hardly had time for .
    ..you're one step away from following high-school football???...hmmm

No, but seriously, i didn't know you're a pretty hard-core NFL & college football enthusiast (or used to be).
    Last edited by ctjcad; 01-10-2009 at 10:53 AM.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad View Post
    ..you're one step away from following high-school football???...hmmm

No, but seriously, i didn't know you're a pretty hard-core NFL & college football enthusiast (or used to be).
    Erm .... well actually I did watch some Texas state high school games last year (I think it was Pflugerville which is the team "copied" in Friday Night Lights the series) and a couple of all star games . And looks like I'll be watching the "US Army All American Bowl" tomorrow . hmmm more playoff games already. Time to stay away again as I'm not watching it live .

So many sports, so little time (more or less been watching bowl games, playoffs, hockey junior world championships and some ncaa b-ball as well the past month not to forget some badminton as well)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ^^Have you lived..^^

..in the states before??...cos it seems like you've been following U.S. sports for quite a while....

Btw, you don't want to know what happened to the Ravens & the results of today's NFL Playoff games, but i think i'll let you wait and find out the results yourself..

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pardon my ignorance, what is a SuperBowl? Is it related to just American football? Is the game played inside a bowl? Is it a league of football matches or just the grand final between two competing teams for the ultimate title. Or is it named after a Mr SuperBowl, just like the name "Thomas" Cup in badminton?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, what is a SuperBowl? Is it related to just American football? Is the game played inside a bowl? Is it a league of football matches or just the grand final between two competing teams for the ultimate title. Or is it named after a Mr SuperBowl, just like the name "Thomas" Cup in badminton?
    Quote:

"Origins

The Super Bowl was created as part of the merger agreement between the National Football League (NFL) and its competitive rival, the American Football League (AFL). After its inception in 1920, the NFL fended off several rival leagues before the AFL began play in 1960. The intense competitive war for players and fans led to serious merger talks between the two leagues in 1966, culminating in a merger agreement announcement on June 8, 1966. One of the conditions of the AFL-NFL Merger was that the winners of each league's championship game would meet in a contest to determine the "world champion of football". According to NFL Films President Steve Sabol, then NFL Commissioner Pete Rozelle wanted to call the game "The Big One".[3]
    During the discussions to iron out the details, AFL founder and Kansas City Chiefs owner Lamar Hunt had jokingly referred to the proposed interleague championship as the "Super Bowl". Hunt thought of the name after seeing his children playing with a toy called a Super Ball;[4] the small, round ball is now on display at the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio. The name was consistent with postseason college football games which had long been known as "bowl games." The "bowl" term originated from the Rose Bowl Game, which was in turn named for the bowl-shaped stadium in which it is played. Hunt only meant his suggested name to be a stopgap until a better one could be found. Nevertheless, the name "Super Bowl" became permanent."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl#Origins

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

..in the states before??...cos it seems like you've been following U.S. sports for quite a while....

Btw, you don't want to know what happened to the Ravens & the results of today's NFL Playoff games, but i think i'll let you wait and find out the results yourself..
    Just finished watching a 515MB copy of the whole game in a quality better than half the baddy vids that get uploaded here . It pretty much looked like a regular tv broadcast through my tv-out. For a duration of 2h13m crammed into a 515MB file that's saying something about something else . Loved the game & outcome, horrible commentary and even worse halftime & postgame analysis by Dan Marino, Bill Cowher, Shannon Sharpe, the host and another guy .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a Ravens fan, but I would (and did, preseason) put money on the Steelers winning it. Don't know why people haven't been taking them more seriously from the start.
    Also had FWP/Moore, Hines "The Jawbreaker" Ward, and the SteelersDST on my fantasy team, so did ok there

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post
    I'm a Ravens fan, but I would (and did, preseason) put money on the Steelers winning it. Don't know why people haven't been taking them more seriously from the start.
    Also had FWP/Moore, Hines "The Jawbreaker" Ward, and the SteelersDST on my fantasy team, so did ok there
    It will be a tough, physical game next week. Go Steelers!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ^^Told ya..^^

..the Steel Curtain were going to pull it out...

Yes, indeed, next week should be one heck of a weekend for both conferences. It'll be a toss up between the Ravens vs. Steelers as i feel whichever defense can buckle down, that team will come out on top. On the other game, however, i have a feeling the Cards will pull through as they also look quite balanced>>just curious what our Quasimodo is thinking? or maybe he doesn't care...

The Eagles caught the G-men in a bind & perfect weather day to disrupt Manning (although i'd expect the G-men to regroup and make another push next yr).
    Ravens vs. Titans was one of those tough games. The Cards, what can i say; they just blitzed their way to a romp.
    Just finished watching a 515MB copy of the whole game in a quality better than half the baddy vids that get uploaded here . It pretty much looked like a regular tv broadcast through my tv-out. For a duration of 2h13m crammed into a 515MB file that's saying something about something else . Loved the game & outcome, horrible commentary and even worse halftime & postgame analysis by Dan Marino, Bill Cowher, Shannon Sharpe, the host and another guy .
    ..wow, 515MB file for a 2 hr 13 min game?? not bad....And i guess it's also in HD format?..Usually a file that size for a badminton match would last about a match long (no more than 1 hr).

*The Super Bowl is a name given to the Final game for the NFL; similar to the NBA Finals for the NBA and World Series for MLB. Kinda like the UEFA Champions League Cup (with less qualifying rounds). You've got selected teams from different leagues around Europe battling and playing to have the honor to play in the winner take all game.
    Last edited by ctjcad; 01-11-2009 at 11:36 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

..the Steel Curtain were going to pull it out...

Yes, indeed, next week should be one heck of a weekend for both conferences. It'll be a toss up between the Ravens vs. Steelers as i feel whichever defense can buckle down, that team will come out on top.
    I think one of the ESPN commentators (could be Berman or Jackson) put it best... it will be a blood bath. Can't imagine what the casualty list will be like. Luckily there is a 2 week break between the AFC final and the Superbowl to allow them to recover.

I like the way Willie Parker is stepping up his game. He looks as fast as before his knee injury. This makes Big Ben more dangerous as the Ravens defence can't key on Roethlisberger alone anymore. I hope we stuff those ugly birds. GO STEELERS!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by madbad View Post
    Why don't we take a friendly wager:
    madbad - Steelers
    malayali - Eagles

... if they get that far
    Quote Originally Posted by malayali View Post
    Allright, cool; I am up for it....
    One step closer....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats right;
    Anyone still has doubts about the soaring Eagles????

One step closer....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think one of the ESPN commentators (could be Berman or Jackson) put it best... it will be a blood bath. Can't imagine what the casualty list will be like. Luckily there is a 2 week break between the AFC final and the Superbowl to allow them to recover.

I like the way Willie Parker is stepping up his game. He looks as fast as before his knee injury. This makes Big Ben more dangerous as the Ravens defence can't key on Roethlisberger alone anymore. I hope we stuff those ugly birds. GO STEELERS!
    The San Diego SuperChargers lost because they got no defense, simple as that.

As for them Eagles, we've seen their act before, going to many playoffs even to the SB but failed to finish the deal. We'll see what happens this time.
    Last edited by ctjcad; 01-12-2009 at 12:37 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BTW, anyone notice 3 of the 4 remaining teams are birds - Eagles, Cardinals, Ravens. But all it takes is one steel rebar to crush them

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Pittsburgh Mayor Asks to Remove Ravens From His Name (By Sean D. Hamill, The New York Times): Pittsburgh's 28-year-old mayor Luke Ravenstahl filled out a Verified Petition for a Name Change in a ceremonial effort to convert his surname to Steelerstahl. He'll retain the name through Sunday, until the conclusion of the the Steelers-Ravens clash for the AFC title."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/15/sp...ayor.html?_r=1

28 (nutters)

If the Ravens play like they did against the Titans and Willie Parker played like Sunday I really don't see the Ravens with a realistic chance of winning (not to mention whether or not they have any healthy players left). Can see the Cards coming out on top though . On the other hand ... Pittsburgh v Philadelphia Superbowl XLIII .
    Last edited by demolidor; 01-15-2009 at 01:16 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Pittsburgh Mayor Asks to Remove Ravens From His Name (By Sean D. Hamill, The New York Times): Pittsburgh's 28-year-old mayor Luke Ravenstahl filled out a Verified Petition for a Name Change in a ceremonial effort to convert his surname to Steelerstahl. He'll retain the name through Sunday, until the conclusion of the the Steelers-Ravens clash for the AFC title."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/15/sp...ayor.html?_r=1

28 (nutters)

If the Ravens play like they did against the Titans and Willie Parker played like Sunday I really don't see the Ravens with a realistic chance of winning. Can see the Cards coming out on top though . On the other hand ... Pittsburgh v Philadelphia Superbowl XLIII .
    Yes, I read this too. Isn't stahl = steel in German? I would be sorely disappointed if the Steelers can't get past the Ravens. The Ravens are a little banged up, worn down and tired (no break since week 2) and has a very suspect one-dimensional offence. If the Steelers get up by 2 TDs early, it'll force the Ravens to change their game plan and this plays into the hands of the Steeler's defence.

I am rooting for Arizona to pull it off against the Eagles. It's always nice to see a cinderella team make it through. Plus I like Phoenix the city too.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep Stahl = steel in german = staal in dutch Hereby claiming the Staal brothers to play for our national team .

Ravenstahl, b*st*rd Steeler-Raven offspring .
    Last edited by demolidor; 01-15-2009 at 01:49 PM.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast