Training Rackets

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by robc06, Feb 4, 2008.

1. robc06

robc06 Regular Member

Editor
    Anyone here used a weight training racket? I dont mean a squash racket but a specific badminton training racket?

I use a Epsilon Weight Training Racket, full graphite, 135gms. I use this for shadown drills as well as multi feeds. Ive strung it at 26lbs same as my rackets.

Difference between a squash racket and weight training badminton racket is that you can still hit with it like you can with a normal racket.

Ive noticed my relfexes have become faster as well as my wrist becoming stronger.

2. 2ol2play

2ol2play Regular Member

retired
    Training racket

I have been using weighted racket for 20 years....first one was made using lead tape...now there are some good ones available...www.giadinhsports.com has 2 trainers....one by Kat 175gram and one by YangYang 150gram...they sell for about 30usd...Most players just dont know how much a trainer can help their play...squash and tennis rackets just dont do it at all...:D

#2 2ol2play, Feb 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2008
  3. jordanwong

jordanwong Regular Member

lol i use a HEAVY steel racquet.. and yes.. my reaction and wrist got stronger as well.

4. Elixau

Elixau Regular Member

I use a heavy badminton racket, those really heavy ones, well not too heavy, but heavy enough. And my wrist does get stronger, and when using my normal racket, it seems a lot lighter xD

5. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    i've actually got a certain inquiry about these training rackets. at what point do you switch back to your "regular" playing rackets? i mean, you train with the training rackets, so that means you do drills with them, and possibly play around you probably play with them. that will mean that when you go into training days, you use them. and if training days are more common than playing days in your week, then your playing style and such would get adjusted to your training racket, and thus, becomes your "regular" racket, would it not? i use my regular racket to do drills and train with, so i know how it handles in certain situations, thus, when i switch rackets, i understand how my style/shots have to switch. but using a training racket does have it's advantages, but if you understand my question, when and how do you switch back? and wouldn't your style and shots have to adjust again because everything is different, and thus adjusting, would make all your training worthless?

6. Smashis

Smashis Regular Member

I wouldn't practise drops with a practise racquet. It is good for clears and smashes but use it too often and u'll lose the feel of your normal racquet.

7. xXazn_romeoXx

yes, but then it's not really a "training" racket now is it :D;), it's a "clear/smash" racket :p

8. 2ol2play

2ol2play Regular Member

retired
    Training racket

The Thailand National Team uses the training racket to play games as well as for drills....Dont use the trainer exclusively for a month, use it to train and your playing days use normal racket....it only takes 5 min to get your timing back when switching directly from trainer to normal racket...The advantage of the trainer is that it builds up the muscles used in playing and when you go to normal racket you feel like your reflexes are better when in fact it is just that the stronger muscles now make moving the racket much easier and faster...trainer does not improve reflexes...:D

#8 2ol2play, Feb 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2008
  9. Elixau

Elixau Regular Member

What kind of injury? :O

I think he/she would use his/her racket more than the training racket.

10. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    2ol2play, you seem to believe that many here can't read normal-sized lettering or that their eyes lack the ability to process normal ocular contrast.

Let me assure you it isn't so.
    Verdana 2-point in black is usually good enough.

Your oversized posts in red and green have been edited for normalcy ;)

11. xXazn_romeoXx

i'm sorry, did you read my post wrong? i can't follow on what you mean. i wrote inquiry, not injury, if that's what you meant :p

but ya, i concur, i totally would rather improve my muscle power, as well as not have my style of play interrupted and have to adjust with it everytime i use a training racket :D

12. xXazn_romeoXx

really? maybe it would help. i do believe if we do it for a period of time of only training racket for say a month (like you say), for all sorts of play and drills, and then switch back to regular racket, then yes; it will show results. but for most of us, we train about 3-4 times a week maybe. and if we use a training racket in between using our regular racket during the week in our trainings, it will change our playing styles. and yes, we can adjust back just as easy. but wouldn't that just destroy some of the work the training racket has made? because we've gone back to our old style? and wouldn't using your regular racket to train be better since you won't have to change your style, and you can still work on your muscle strength? :confused:

13. jordanwong

it's not the racquet you use, it's the ability that's in you. i guess you are training your reaction time and wrist with the training racquet.
    if you use your heavy training racquet, then you can use any racquet.
    notice how pros, if they break a string or switch racquets, don't even need a minute to adjust to the switched racquet. that's because they have the ability in them. a good player does not rely on their racquet, a good player makes the racquet, good or bad, work for them. a good racquet is not needed, but it helps.

14. jordanwong

also, you can use your training racquet during your training days - where you do drills and stuff and use your good racquet for games at the end of the day.

15. xXazn_romeoXx

oh no, that's not what i meant. i meant that at what point when you have a training racket, does it just not become just a training racket, but one that you can use on a regular basis as well. of course i switch rackets when i feel like it, and the transition is not a problem. but i mean specifically rackets that are designed to just be used for training, if you use it enough, does it then turn into your regular racket? i also realize that pros switch rackets and they can adjust no problem. they also seem to have an endless supply of the same racket at same and different tensions ;):D...so transition is not as big. but yes, i understand your point. thanks!

16. Elixau

Elixau Regular Member

Whoops, I stink :( I should read my carefully next time, lol xD

17. jordanwong

hahah actually i think my training racquet is turning into a regular racquet :) since i go to places where i dont wanna bring my expnesive racquet cuz it might get stolen. or when i'm playing doubles with strangers.. i dont wanna clash with them.. not with my 200 dollar racquet =[ i guess i will only use my regular, high end racquet with my doubles partner or when i'm playing singles. my partner and i are really good at avoiding hitting each other's racquets. also.. i will not let anyone use one of my highend racquets (especially if they're using it to play doubles). so right now i guess i will mostly be using my training racquet.. and when i switch back.. my reflexes are unnatural! :)

18. Cannot_smash

Cannot_smash Regular Member

Bag snatcher hahaha
    Ther r 2 Hart rackets for training, one weigh 140g and the other 160g frame only. Just got the 160g and its being strung at the moment, waiting to test it out tomoro

19. Retro_10s

Retro_10s Regular Member

This is all fairly standard reactions to training rackets,.. you will find your wrist become stronger simply becuase it's having to support more racket and movement is different too.

A bit off topic i know,.. But I often play using ankle weights,.. they really help you become a strong mover around the court, and when you take them off you feel like you can fly!