Weird question, please help!

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by bender123, Feb 5, 2008.

1. bender123

bender123 Regular Member

Hello I have a problem...

The situation goes like this, i sold a racket(some Tehnopro, low cost (40 €)racket) to somebody, he was playing and was satisfied with it.One week later his string broke and he went to restring it. Then the man who restrings rackets said that the tension on the racket before was to high (21 lbs) the allowed tension was 24-25 lbs.

So the restringer said that the racket was strung on too high tension and that the racket lost its elasticity on the frame or something, and that the racket is useless.

Is this even possible or is he selling me a load of crap. He wants his money back, and i am in dilemma what to do, the feeling on racket was just fine.

PS: I am in a real hurry, so if you could help(replay) me as soon as possible i would be very grateful.

PS2: Can stringer damages the racket so you can even notice.

2. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

let me get this right, the tension of the racquet before was 21lbs?
    it doesn't really matter though, most racquets should be able to handle tensions of between 18 to 25lbs without any problems, most pros string their racquets up to 30lbs without any damage to the frame.

in my opinion, it sounds like either
    1) the stringer doesn't know what he's talking about
    2) the guy who bought the racquet doesn't really like the racquet and just wants his money back

3. bender123

bender123 Regular Member

Ok thank you for your swift replay, is it possible that the stringer before was bad. I had this racket for 6 months and i changed the string after one month didn't brake it just didn't like it. So it couldn't be the problem of broken string laying around.

Is it possible that the stringer was bad(he is a full time racket stringer in a shop).

Or its really that man talking nonsense.

4. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

there's always a possibility that the previous stringer did a bad job, though it'll be impossible to comment on this without looking at the racquet. if you are able to get the guy you sold it to to post some pictures of where he thinks the racquet has been damaged, some of the local experts here can have a look and give you a better opinion. other than that, i'm afraid it's all speculation.

5. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    i don't think he/she wants a refund of the racket. I think it is a bad stringer where the stringer doesn't know what he/she is talking about.

6. bender123

bender123 Regular Member

Thank you again.

The stringer said that the damage is inside the frame, and that the problem isn't in outside damage, that the racket lost its flexibility (that the racket collapsed itself with no visible outside damage)and that the string will break faster again because of that.

I think its just stupid what he is saying... Am i wrong?

PS: sorry for the miss information the string tension was 20 lbs(9kg)

#6 bender123, Feb 5, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  7. stork

stork Regular Member

-
    recommend your customer to change the stringer

8. bender123

bender123 Regular Member

I will go today and ask the stringer myself, maybe he told me something else that stringer said to him and will report later. Thank you for your replays.

9. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

yeah, let us know what happens, i'm keen to understand what the problem really is.

10. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Er... I think it's a load of crap. Given that Techno Pro is not a well known brand, it might not be able to take high tension. 21lbs is actually considered low since it's just a few pounds from factory tension (18lbs). Then again, high tension is a very relative term. I suspect that either the guy wants his money back or the stringer made an unnoticeable boo-boo and tried to cover his own ass.

The guy bought a used item and should expect some wear/tear and damage on it. He tried it before he bought it, I am assuming that he inspected the goods before buying it too, otherwise it's his choice for taking damaged stuff. Money back is only for new stuff from stores and only on their own terms too (eg. time limit for exchange/returns).

If I were in your shoe, I would tell him no because: the racquet was in good condition before sale, the buyer made the decision to buy the racquet after inspecting it, reason given is ridiculous since many players play with tensions several pounds higher than 21lbs.

I would only consider it if he's someone close to me or someone I might be doing business/ working with in the near future. Afterall, some relationships are worth more than 40 Euros.

11. gsloh

gsloh Regular Member

That's a load of crap, 20-21 lbs is fine on 99.9999% of current rackets. Think your man is talking nonsesne

12. bender123

bender123 Regular Member

Sorry to everybody because i was completely misinformed, so i went to the stringer, and he show me that not both sides are completely symmetrical in the top of the racket, and that he said to him that he should know the risk, so its not the stringer.

I couldn't notice the shape deformation, but still dont know what to do, in my opinion the racket is ok, the racket looks good, i will show on the picture what i mean, the picture of the racket is symbolical.

Do you think this racket is still good to play with and if you think it will collapse if he strung the racket to 20 lbs.

PS: by any means i really didnt see the deformation and still aint sure if its even there. He was playing with the racket for 2 weeks and test it before buying it(so as far as i know he could have done it,), do you think i am entitled to refund him

here are the pic.

Attached Files:

13. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

Do not refund the money. You are not required to.

14. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    Is it broken already??If not,just tell him to try to string it first,by another stringer.21 lbs is not a high tension..at all.N like most of us have said,most of rackets can hold up to 25 lbs..even to 30 lbs.U have to convince him for that.If there's really nothing's wrong with the racket,any form of refund is impossible.

15. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1. 21lb is safe for most of the racket, and even with higher than recommened tension, it should not damage the racket, unless it's a bad string job or went through numerous of clashes, etc.

2. Buyer takes the responsibility when purchase 2nd handed items. If he can't spot anything wrong on the spot, and still pay for it, that means he's willing to take the risk.

3. The buyer already used it for 2 weeks, and even if there's obvious damage to the racket now, it's hard to determine whether it's the original seller or the new buyer cause the damage.

Overall, if I am the seller, no refund for sure. :eek:

16. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

yeah, it's hard to justify a refund for a 2nd hand racquet which has been used for 2 weeks until the strings have snapped.

17. bender123

bender123 Regular Member

thank you for your replays, will tell no, mainly because the racket is still playeble

18. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    he said 21lbs was too high, when he later on said the max tension was 24lbs. =.=

19. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

If the reccomended max-tension is 24-25lbs, then it should be no problem even at 28lbs..