string question

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by flyingfox, Feb 7, 2008.

1. flyingfox

flyingfox Regular Member

i just strung my racquet at 23 lbs which is 1 lb less than my usual stringing tension 24 lbs for my Yonex nanospeed 5000. :eek:

the reason i strung with bg66 at 23 lbs is: i could have greater control of net play for a reduction in string tension.. :confused:

my problem: i dont play well with that racquet.. :(

something puzzling me: do i restring? or try to get use to that racquet? :eek:

factors to put in: i have 2 others racquets strung at 24lbs.. :D

2. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    If you're comfortable using that string tension, don't change it.
    It could be the 'new' racquet :)

Lemme have a look at it tomorrow ;)

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Change string, but keep the same tension = need time to adjust to the timing

Change tension, but keep the same string = need time to adjust to the timing

Change both string type and tension = need even more time to get use to it

Be patient, and do more drills than games for now. After a few session, you should be fine.

4. bad_fanatic

bad_fanatic Regular Member

Day dream about being a Pro Badminton Player
    What's the other two racket that you use and what are the string on it?

Different player react differently to different types of racket and string. Racket stiffness and string repulsion does make a difference when it's a totally new set up.

When I get a new racket, I use the type of string that I had on my other racket and with the same tension to see how the racket feels. After that, then I experiment it with other strings.

5. flyingfox

flyingfox Regular Member

1. SOTX Winner Kinsmen STB-8080+: A rejuvenescent racquet for me after 20 years of rest. Light racquet strung with Yonex BG 66 @ 24lbs. Good in defense but very hard to hit from baseline to baseline.. less powerful for smashing :cool:

2. Yonex Nanospeed 5000 strung was BG66 at 23lbs: Is my 2nd racquet which is lighter comparing to others yonex products. Recommend to ladies' players. :)

3. Yonex AT900: 3rd racquet on hand strung with BG66 at 24lbs on hand which is i am currenly using. Arm aching after every game session... :(

4. thinking of getting Nanospeed 9000... any advise? :D

6. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Dont worry if your 'arm' starts aching after every game session, because you'll start using your 'wrist' more than your arm/shoulder because of some pain caused by the higher tension.. After I jumped from 20lbs to 24lbs, my 'arm' started aching so much, that I began using my wrist more for my shots, to produce the same power with less energy wasted. I then switched to 26lbs, same aching routine, but I started relying mostly on my wrist for my shots now. Whether it be clears, drives, drops, smashes, I hardly use my arm/shoulder now.. :D

7. bad_fanatic

bad_fanatic Regular Member

Day dream about being a Pro Badminton Player
    I think it's a good thing that you stick with the same type of string because it's what you like and used too.

From what you're saying I think you're switching between the NS5000 and the AT900 (Is it the T or P?) But those rackets are a world apart. The AT900 are stiff rackets and head heavy. It's better for offensive play. The NS models are more even balance and the lower NS models are flexable. This is better for defensive play.

If you want to get the NS9000, get the "S" type. The racket is a bit more flexible and has better feel.

About shoulder pain, do you play with nylon or feather shuttlecock? Nylon is lighter and it has less resistance during contact so it's easier to have shoulder pain. Or it could be that the AT900 head heavy balance causes you to use more energy then you would usually used with the more head light racket and your muscle is not used to it. It's kind of hard to say why you have the shoulder pain, but make sure that you warm up properly.