In Japan...

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by nSmash, Feb 8, 2008.

1. nSmash

nSmash Regular Member

Computer Engineer
    #1 nSmash, Feb 8, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  2. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Sad news.... :( Things like that are always happening in Japan. Last time I was in Japan, I had already heared about four crimes/suicides by high-school students. Very sad to hear, and that also encourages other people in depression to do the same.. nSmash, was he a member at your club or something?

3. nSmash

nSmash Regular Member

Computer Engineer
    Ah, no. I just happened to come across that news article today.

4. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Ah.. anyway he's a fellow badminton player.. We've lost a brother from another mother.. :(

5. Ayame

Ayame Regular Member

Student, Martial Arts Instructor
    This is so sad :(. Poor guy.

6. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Bullying is a real problem in Japan right now.. One of the reasons why I immigrated out of Japan was also because of the bullying problem.. I was bullied everyday by a Chinese boy when I was in primary school, but luckily, he forced me into playing badminton, which ended up to be a good thing.

7. COOLEST

COOLEST Regular Member

How and why did he force you to play baddy :confused:?

8. COOLEST

COOLEST Regular Member

This really sucks :(. I didn't know that Japan had such a huge bullying problem... it never really seemed like that type of society to me. But it makes sense though. Many Japanese are timid, and they tend to endure this type of behaviour. I hope it's not too bad all over the country though. I'm also going to be taking a foreign exchange to Japan some time in the future... I hope I return alive :eek:.

9. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

You'll be alive, two of my friends went on an exchange trip to Japan due to my high reccomendations.. they loved being in Japan so much that they're willing to go again..
    Because he used to force his 'deciples/victims' to do what ever he wants them to do. The thing is, we were only seven years old back then. Well, he wanted us to play because he thought it's a great sport.. Im still keeping contact with him, we're both very friendly to eachother now, because we both play badminton :D I think.. badminton solves most of my problems.

10. nSmash

nSmash Regular Member

Computer Engineer
    Awesome, man! I love visiting JP too. Played badminton in Tokyo a few times. Never attended school there though I've heard stories.

11. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Haha. I find the club that I played in Japan, superior to the ones in NewZealand..

-An hour of practise/training sessions:
    -Drop/lift drills
    -Drives
    -Net-kill drills
    -Clears
    -Net-drops drills
    -etc..

This practise sessions actually improved my games a whole lot.

-Three hours of play:
    -With free tea and snack times
    -With no negative criticism(s), but people give advices on how to improve ( Together with the practise sessions, it's just like being coached. )
    -Everyone concentrates on the game, nothing else.
    -Everyone greets eachother when they're resting, so they get to know eachother well.
    -etc..

All that, for ONLY 300YEN!! :D:D:D:D

In NewZealand..
    -No practise sessions
    -Registration fees, and session fees (Atleast 4$ each session).
    -Some people dont concentrate on game
    -Many arrogant people..
    -Lower level of play
    -Some unfriendly people
    I can only say bad things about clubs in Nz.. :crying:

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I think your caption is grossly misleading.

It is a sad day for Japanese students being bullied by seniors, not a sad day for badminton, although I read only the English version that the boy who was bullied requested not to attend badminton training.

"On Wednesday, the student had told the coach of the badminton club that he would skip practice that day because he was not feeling well."

I'm sure such bullying happens in many places, including Singapore. But unfortunately the victims chose not to report to the authorities for fear of further punishment from the bullies. :mad:

13. nSmash

nSmash Regular Member

Computer Engineer
    Ah, actually jhirata echoed my thoughts in post #4, which is that a fellow badminton player lost his life (regardless of what the reason was).

14. nSmash

nSmash Regular Member

Computer Engineer
    jhirata, yes I noticed how players in JP tend to take their badminton seriously. :) I find it a bit of a downer sometimes that over here it's kind of hard to find regular people taking badminton in the same serious way. They are often either heavily into the social or exercise aspect of it or just really competitive and keep to themselves. Some play it as a "winter sport" and leave their skills to rust in the summer months, believing that time is better spent being outdoors doing other activities (though the upside is that I get more court time. Haha). And I see several things in common with NZ clubs.

Anyway, one club that I visited in JP charged 500yen per session, for play only, no drills or snacks but Yonex feather shuttles provided!! I earned some valuable experience in JP. There are a lot of players who seem to have been taught the basics correctly since elementary or high school so they remain technically sound into their 40s and later. They have excellent control, solid defence and a wide repertoire of shots and can make the games more "colourful".

15. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Haha.. The club I visited usually charges 500yen, but they only charged me 300yen everytime because I came all the way from NewZealand to play.How kind :D! ( I seem to have this depression problem when I dont play badminton, so I had to play ;) )
    Yes, we also used Yonex feather shuttles called 'CourtPlay' ( AS10? ) and Yonex 'Official' (AS40?). They even gave me a free tube of YY Courtplay shuttles on the last week.. :D :D
    They're really polite also.. they say 'sorry' in Japanese everytime they make a mistake.

16. nSmash

nSmash Regular Member

Computer Engineer
    I've also been to a club where there is a culture of the younger team coming up to the older team to politely ask for tips for improvement after each game. After my friend and I finished a close doubles game with a highly skilled high school girls' doubles pair (among the best in Tokyo high schools, I heard), they came up to us with questioning eyes and I wondered what was going on until my friend enlightened me. :D

17. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Did you get their number ? :D

18. nSmash

nSmash Regular Member

Computer Engineer
    Dude~~ are you into high school girls? I'll see what I can do next time... ;):D
    Check your local laws though... hahaha just kidding.

19. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Bah I'm too timid :crying::crying::crying::crying:

20. Double_Player

Double_Player Regular Member

I smell baddy enjo kosai...:cool: