Clothes for badminton

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by emogirl, Feb 8, 2008.

1. emogirl

emogirl Regular Member

Don't have one
    What kind of clothes do you wear if you play badminton outside during the summer????Would I wanna wear polo shirts like cotton from American Eagle Outfitters and Abercrombie???Or get actual shirts made for playing sports with like Ralph Lauren and Lacoste???And what kind of shorts????Can I wear just any shorts????Or should I wear likethe shorts I wear for pe????Please help me!!!

2. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Regular Member

Consultant
    if you're just starting, just wear whatever is light and comfortable, and wont get in the way. if you play tennis, your tenniswear should be fine. long pants and sleeves not recommened, they restrict movement. aside from that, shorter sleeves might be a lil better.

3. emogirl

emogirl Regular Member

Don't have one
    Thanks

Thank you again for all of this great info!!!I appreciate it a lot.

4. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Regular Member

Consultant
    yeah no prob. i just remember what it was like choosing from a million diff rackets. it's a little bit overwhelming when you don't know what you're looking for or what's best for you. i also did some research and found out that badmintonalley is really close to sanjose, about 15 min away, (saving you a long trip or shipping). it's right next to junipero serra freeway.

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    All the ones you listed are fine, and try to pick the one you feel most comfortable.

If you play on "less than friendly" surface (i.e. outdoor), pick up the right foot wear is much more important than the outfit. ;)

6. otterfun

otterfun Regular Member

financial analyst
    REI, Under Armor, and The North Face has some high tech shirts (Vapor-wick) with sunscreen protection fabric. If you are playing outdoors, I'd say heat, moisture wicking, and sunscreen protection are priorities.

You can find some ideas on REI.com or Adventure 16.
    BTW, summer in San Jose can run in the high 90s IIRC ?

7. Elixau

Elixau Regular Member

Just t-shirt and shorts. Or whatever is comfortable to you =D

8. Fan888

Fan888 Regular Member

OK. I just wear a good old T-shirt and shorts.

Now, a question for the more serious dressers. Does a "real" badminton shirt make any different at all? I know we sweat a lot in badminton. Do they help evaporate heat, sweat, more air, or whatever? Why would you spend US$30, US$40 on a shirt, well, beside the look, the logo, and being cool?

9. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    you want to wear whatever is most comfortable for you, doesnt have to be a brand name or any of the latest stuff just as long as your comfortable. you would want to however be weary of the conditions so if your playing in a gym that gets hot dress appropriate for that and likewise if if gets cold as well but yeah. Ralph Lauren and Lacoste, American Eagle Outfitters and Abercrombie no offence man but you dont have to wear that kinda stuff all the time i see lots of kids thhat wear that all the time but just wear whats comfortable for you.

10. aerotus70

aerotus70 Regular Member

I dont like to wear cotton tshirt when playing badminton... the sport hall is very warm and even sitting inside will cause me to sweat. Will sweat even more when playing, the tshirt will stick to my body and make me irratited (sp? lol). Prefer those sport clothings make by polyester material.

11. jchan04

jchan04 Regular Member

you mean dry-fit?
    yonex offers them, very nice material... when you sweat it actually makes you cold
    or even soccer wear or basketball. its a thin materal and it drys as you sweat so it doesnt stick.

12. Lithium381

Lithium381 Regular Member

Retail Employee
    I'm in san Jose california too......there are a few places that sell badminton stuff...someone mentioned Badminton Alley....that's where i go most often. There is also Racket Supply in Saratoga(i've never actually been there but my friend says it's a decent place. my coach helps run it)....if you go to Bintang or Smash City, they have a variety of clothes, rackets, and all that.

13. emogirl

emogirl Regular Member

Don't have one
    Ok,thanks.Those places are kinda far though.I can't drive!!!!Any place closer???

14. zuihoujueding

zuihoujueding Regular Member

Yonex wear are pretty decent. It offers "dri-fit" like materials and dosent cost anywhere near nike. Just bring along extra shirts if you are those who sweat alot like me during summer.

15. virtualkidneys!

virtualkidneys! Regular Member

Yonex definitly.

Keeps you cool and gets rid of that nasty sweat (Usually)

16. AznAndrew

AznAndrew Regular Member

I dunno how Yonex outfits are (i've never had any). I just have a pair of nike shorts, and an Abercrombie muscle shirt.

17. gustaff

gustaff Regular Member

Work
    i totally agree,

If i use regular cotton t-shirts, they will stick to all my body and be in the way of my shots and movements, I prefer polyester in everything except that more sweat reaches my already sweaty hands. So I prefer the polyester ones, doesn't need to be Yoenx though, in most sports shops you can find polyester shirts by Nike, Adidas and so on. I personally have one Yonex shirt and one Gosen shirt and I'm very pleased with both. :)

Regards

18. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

I hate polyester shirts. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it. It doesn't absorb any sweat at all. I become all smelly ( like poo ) and I get a headache from it after playing in my adidas and nike polyester shirts. That really affects my performance on the court, and also my mood after playing.
    I now only wear collared cotton polo-shirts, XL. I usually bring two to three extra shirts everytime I play.

19. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    The best shirts for badminton is made from tencel and cotton or an all tencel shirt. But cotton comes close, about half as good in absorption rate. Polyster is bad, it has zero absorption. I wear either all cotton or all tencel or tencel/cotton shirts. I smell the least offensive, mainly because of the tencel shirts.

20. Baddict_2006

Baddict_2006 Regular Member

Chef
    dry fit shirts and my fave yonex shorts during a game!!