Hotel recommendation in HK

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by wunderbar, Feb 10, 2008.

1. wunderbar

wunderbar Regular Member

Hi all,
    Will be travelling to HK for a month and would like to know if any fellow members on suggestion for hotel acommodations? Currently thinking about the following three:

1. Dorsett Olympic Hotel
    http://hongkonghotel.dorsettolympic.com.hk/
    -Close to shopping, MTR, more central, etc.

2. Rambler Hotel
    http://www.ramblerhotels.com/garden/eng/promotion.html
    -Looks more chic and new..hee. But also longer transportation as its not close to MTR.

3. Metro park Hotel
    http://hongkonghotel.metroparkhotelkowloon.com/index.php
    -convenient shuttle service, looks OK.

Each have their own advantages but sometimes what is shown is not what you end up seeing in person. If anyone has personal opinions or really bad experience, I'd like to know before deciding. I've read reviews but still undecided.

2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

3. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Above 1 and 2 are a bit far from the heart of Kowloon, the Mongkok area. The Metropark hotel was renamed from the Metropole hotel, which was ground zero for the 2003 SARS outbreak. However, it is safe now.

4. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Try this one: Mandarian Oriental :p:D:D

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Lol... I know you will bring up my old thread. ;) Again, thanks everyone who give me great recommendation when I was planning my trip. :)

I finally booked my hotels (HK and TW) from http://www.hotelclub.net/, which gave me a great rate. You can filter through the choices, and see which choice fits your need ($$$, location, services, etc)

The one I used in HK is "EverGreen", which is a cheap but nice small hotel, locates in "Yaumatai / Jordan" (Kowloon island). It's about 5 min walkign from MRT (Jordan station), and 20 yards from "Temple street", which is known as it's night market. It's very easy to go everywhere to HK island and Kowloon island. If you are looking for something very affordable, and decent, it's a great choice. ;)

#5 LazyBuddy, Feb 11, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  6. kikks9

kikks9 Regular Member

www.asiatravel.com
    www.asiarooms.com

www.tripadvisor.com

I've used both asiatravel and asiarooms, they are ok. Tripadvisor is a fantastic site and their forums are quite informative. I use it frequently to plan for my next holiday.

I liked the YMCA on Salisbury road. When I was there it was quite reasonable and near the TST MTR. It was also near to another hotel for the free airport shuttle to Kowloon station for the Airport Express train.

HK so easy to travel and convenient to everything. HK is good !!!

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

It's all good..

..yeah, might as well recommend wunderbar to your thread..Besides, from your review and pleasant memories, i'm sure the suggestions in that thread were pretty good..I mean, we don't want to mislead our friend here, would we??..;) :cool:

8. wunderbar

wunderbar Regular Member

Thanks for the response. Think we'll just wing it and pick a place based on some of the pics from tripadvisor.com I'll let you guys know how it ends up and post some pics .. good or bad..:D Mandarin Oriental?...hee..I could afford that :rolleyes: but not when I can get a bag of new racquets instead.

9. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    The Mandarin Oriental is more of a up market hotel for businessmen. It is a bit conservative and is not suitable for tourists out for a good time. The Chinese restaurant Man Wah is one of the best in Hong Kong. Many of the service staff there are far from flowers and roses although they are efficient. To this day I still do not understand how it has been rated as one of the best in the world.

10. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    I was joking with others :D. I wouldn't go into The Mandarian Oriental unless I have the minimum of formal business attire.

For flowers and roses look no further than across the border. Food and service (be it extra ;)) at a reasonable price :D.

11. wunderbar

wunderbar Regular Member

Alright guys, I've narrowed my search down to TWO.

1) Royal Plaza Hotel in Kowloon
    2) Harbour Plaza Metropolis in HungHom

(1) seems very convenient for shopping
    (2) provides better view and quieter I believe, maybe a little more modern decor

Alright for the fellow travellers and locals that have been there. Anyone have opinion on one better than the other? Can't wait to go, two weeks left:D

12. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    just don't stay at dorsett seaview. the hotel is very old and run down.

i stayed at Rosedale before and it is very new. I guess it is a 3 star hotel but with 4 star facilities and cleanliness.

eaton hotel is also not bad.