• Jens Eriksen

19 1.73%
  • Sigit Budiarto

59 5.36%
  • Lee Yong Dae

169 15.35%
  • Christian Hadinata

9 0.82%
Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Differnt generation various styles of plays
    How can u compares BeeGees with Boyzone ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I pick CY n HG.Maybe TG was the one,but no longer now..maybe because of his age.The other candidate is Sigit,but he is no longer playing in the indo national team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by abedeng View Post
    Park Joo Bong is a frontman, no question, but a very different frontman .....

What marks him out from the rest is that he can be very good doing anything, front court, back court, attack and defence. Even if Tian Bingyi/Li Yongbo had the better attack and Sidek brothers better defence. PJB remains the only front court guy that can win XD World Title, which shows how well he can adapt to backcourt conditions.
    Took the words out of my mouth - him and his partner Kim Moon Soo, were difficult to beat and defend against due to those qualities you have mentioned - completeness and interchangeability, with PJB being the better of the two. Just rotate and it wouldn't seem like their positions changed at all.
    Last edited by wilfredlgf; 02-18-2008 at 03:19 AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What marks him out from the rest is that he can be very good doing anything, front court, back court, attack and defence. Even if Tian Bingyi/Li Yongbo had the better attack and Sidek brothers better defence. PJB remains the only front court guy that can win XD World Title, which shows how well he can adapt to backcourt conditions..
    Ugh. You just reminded me about Thomas Lund. Hmm, so many players, hard to put them all in the poll.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    Ugh. You just reminded me about Thomas Lund. Hmm, so many players, hard to put them all in the poll.
    Lund was pretty good too, in the 1991 WC final, it was Lund/Dupont who fell to Park/Cheong Myung Hee in 3 games. But not as consistent.

In truth, if we are comparing standards of MD play, standards have actually dropped after PJB/KMS, Sidek bros, Tian/Li and their equivalent INA compatriots (Hartono/Gunawan and Liem Swie King/Ertanto) retired. Though the game has moved much faster now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i beg your pardon???

I would not agree. How do you get faster but not better?

If u are have a problem with the current player is not such a big deal... But the interesting thing is you left out Rexy and Ricky. This legendary pair not up to mark either???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jug8man View Post
    i beg your pardon???

If u are have a problem with the current player is not such a big deal... But the interesting thing is you left out Rexy and Ricky. This legendary pair not up to mark either???
    yes i agree
    have u ever see them paired together?
    as i remember at thomas cup..they paired because it was emergency
    so sorry dont remember the year

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jug8man View Post
    i beg your pardon???

Yes, I have seen them, best of their bunch, but not quite as good as the previous generation of top 4 pairs. And I have seen Tony/Candra, Tony/Halim, Sigit/Candra, KDM/HTK etc too, and my opinion hasn't changed.

Faster does not always translate to better, Prof Park and his compatriot, and other top pairs of that generation often make fools out of faster opponents. Take, for example, how Cheah Soon Kit/Soo Beng Kiang got outplayed by LYB/TBY in the 1992 Olympics despite winning 1st game and leading well in 2nd. Or how the Sidek bros came back 5-12 down to beat a young Danish pair, without dropping any further points.

These pairs maintained the type of consistency that sees practically the same top 4 pairs going all the way to the semifinals of almost all competitions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by almighty View Post
    yes i agree
    have u ever see them paired together?
    as i remember at thomas cup..they paired because it was emergency
    so sorry dont remember the year
    sorry what i mean is tony/rexy
    they played together at thomas cup because their partner is injured

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry what i mean is tony/rexy
    they played together at thomas cup because their partner is injured
    I was there, they beat Lundgaard/Paaske very convincingly though Tony was struggling a bit in the 2nd game.

I was also there when Park Joo Bong partnered an injured Sun Han Kook, in the Thomas Cup 1992 Group match. They went on to beat an in-form Sidek bros in straight games. And MAS lost the group tie 2-3, though they went on to win the Cup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ye333 View Post
    You must be kidding! Isn't KMS more "back-court"? Remember, even when PJB partnered with KDM in 1996, it's KDM who did all the dirty "smashing" work. Just watch the 1996 Thomas cup match between Park/Kim and Antonius/Kantono, you can see how lethal Park is at the net!

Btw, I think Tian Bingyi is more the "front man" in the Li/Tian pair. Look at their physique. Tian looks like Setiawan and Li looks like Kido. It's pretty clear who is the smasher, right?
    Whoops!

My bad. I misquoted my source wrongly. KMS is indeed more 'back court' and Park did lots of pouncing on the poor returns at the net.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was there, they beat Lundgaard/Paaske very convincingly though Tony was struggling a bit in the 2nd game.

pphhiuuuhh
    thank god some one knew and remember tony/rexi
    they play good even they never partner before

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pphhiuuuhh
    thank god some one knew and remember tony/rexi
    You made it sound like people can just forget these legends ..... Who can forget a player like Rexy, certainly not his boss and the new KLRC chief coach, Yap Kim Hock and Cheah Soon Kit respectively ....

And Tony is the best player of the past few years, despite his age .....

There aren't that many who won Olympic, World and All-England Championships.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Other Gunawan

You made it sound like people can just forget these legends ..... Who can forget a player like Rexy, certainly not his boss and the new KLRC chief coach, Yap Kim Hock and Cheah Soon Kit respectively ....

And Tony is the best player of the past few years, despite his age .....

There aren't that many who won Olympic, World and All-England Championships.
    The other 'Gunawan' was pretty good as well, Rudy Gunawan..with his partner Eddie Hartono.....

I'm not too familiar with the best of Indonesian players....but their current coach Christian Hadinata must be 'somebody' in his day and age.....the magazine Badminton Asia, qoute that Hadinata helped inspired doubles players like Rexy Maniaky.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Christian Hadinata should be given a hero's medal ...... PBSI owe him a lot.

Anyway, Eddy Hartono/Rudy Gunawan are one of the pairs in the same league as Park/Kim, the Sideks, TBY/LYB. Their play pattern often confuses the Chinese pair, especially.

I remember when Eddy retired, Rudy paired with Ricky Subagja, and won the '93 world championships, beating Cheah Soon Kit/Soo Beng Kiang 15-11, 15-7. And that was from trailing 3-11 at one stage.

It also signified the end of the Cheah/Soo partnership, both blaming each other until BAM split them up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Badmintan View Post
    The other 'Gunawan' was pretty good as well, Rudy Gunawan..with his partner Eddie Hartono.....
    I remember the bit in 1992 when they both fell to the ground to retrieve shots from the Sidek doubles, one after another.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup, falling to the ground have always been part of doubles play, since the '60s.

I dare say, if we take note of statistics on rallies where people fall to the ground, rallies are won by those who fell are at least 50% of total ......

Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast