Around-the-Head Movement

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by KazeCloud, Feb 13, 2008.

1. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    I would like to ask about the overhead shot around-the-head. How far should the racket on a well prepared overhead shot, actually go around the head? I have notice that sometimes I don't go around my head at all, but just back and swing forward. Is the around the head movement when doing the backswing necessary? To what extent?

And also, during the backswing, how far should the racket go? Almost touching the back? Or just around shoulder height?

Also should my racket side back bend a bit during the backswing, and unbend when swinging forward? I naturally do this. Thanks.

#1 KazeCloud, Feb 13, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  2. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    There are two ways to handle round the head shots which are different from handling the normal overhead shots. Would be interesting to hear from others before any input from me.

3. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    Oh I see. So a regular smash would be a normal overhead shot?

Oh I must of mistaken this shot for a shot towards my backhand, requiring the "around-the-head". But still when I see a regular overhead shot there is some around-the-head movement. Plus all my question is still needed to answer. XD

Summary:

How much around the head movement should be made in a normal overhead shot if I have time? Can I just pull straight back and swing?

How far back should the racket go in terms of closeness to my back? As close as possible? Or shoulder height. Thanks guys.

#3 KazeCloud, Feb 13, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  4. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Around shoulder heigh IMO. I have my arm bent with my elboes nearly touching my head, like how I would stretch my triceps. I only use this to perform drops and slice drops because I still need to improve my technique on it, it's not that powerful as my usual forehand.

5. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    The closer it is to directly over my head, the more easy it is to make a stroke. For me, the position of the racquet before the stroke doesn't matter.

6. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

If you're really in good position, you don't hit a shot from around the head. You hit a forehand shot on the backhand side instead.

7. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    this is what i call an around the head shot basically when you cant get into position to hit a forehand shot then you can go around the head reaching over to your around the head side and hit a shot. better than hitting a backhand in my opinion unless your taufik i remember watching ardy wiranata play back in the day and he wouldnt hit a backhand it was all around the head you have to have great footwork to be able to do that and all. anyways yeah.

mia.jpg

8. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    I now understand the shot "Around-the-head". Sorry to keep asking but I mean when players do a regular overhead shot can you simply pull back? Because I see the slow motion videos of players including Zhao having the racket cross to the left hand side, their fist almost to the left side of their head then they start swinging forward. How far should you do that, or do you even need to do that?

Ex: Notice how Zhao pulls back on his swing in the beginning of this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKTbK7MkwcE&feature=related

#8 KazeCloud, Feb 14, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  9. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

forehand round-the-head

Ref: Crosscourt round the head half smash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59S9LCTYSQY

Footwork works the same for overhead R-T-H smash, clear and drop (A.K.A reverse smash/clear/drop)

Footwork: stand centre slightly to the backhand court.

push-off with racquet foot

land on racquet foot

land quickly with non-racquet foot and scissors your leg so that racquet foot is going forward

racquet foot ready to push-off back to centre court**or else you are trapped in backhand side back court