SOTX woven 7, 8, 9!!! so many choices

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by GT0ro, Feb 13, 2008.

1. GT0ro

GT0ro Regular Member

hey people! anyone used woven 7, 8, and 9? i currently have a 7 but it seems to be a little too head hvy to me. i guess you can say i'm an offense type player (i've been told i have a decent smash). has any of you tried the 8 and 9? how do they compare with the 7? i want to get another sotx and can't decide between the 8 and 9. i've noticed that the 9 seems to be less head hvy than the 7 (but not by much). is it more manuverable? and how is the 8? compared to both? i'm looking for a "moderate" balance racquet (according to DinkAlot's review) with a "stiff" stiffness.

racquets i'm currently looking at
    woven 8
    woven 9
    victor pw 12

you guys have any other suggestions?

currenty i have
    cab 21 - seems like just a weaker version of my cab30ms
    cab 30ms - too much flex
    woven 7 - head seems too hvy

2. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Regular Member

Consultant
    do you prefer the isos or traditional shaped heads?

3. GT0ro

GT0ro Regular Member

i don't know what it is, but i tend to miss-hit a lot (top of racquet) so i'm thinking of switching over to iso head. maybe i'm playing too much volleyball, my timing always seems off nowadays... or maybe i'm just swinging harder...

4. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Regular Member

Consultant
    if you're mis-hitting a lot, the isometric framed raquets can help. personally, i'm not much for the woven series (nothing against them, it's just not my kind). perhaps you can also consider the armortec 900

5. gsloh

gsloh Regular Member

The 9 is on a whole lighter than the W7, so will definitely be more manouvreable. To me, it didn't feel too top heavy (compared to my AT700), I would probably say similar headheaviness to the AT500. A good racket IMO, I would replace my broken one if I could get one on the cheap!

Don't know about the 8 - as I haven't used one before.

6. GT0ro

GT0ro Regular Member

well, i'm looking for good cheap alternatives... if money wasn't an issue, i'd get an AT900 or NS9000... the wovens and power waves are like 1/2 the price!

7. crashandburn

crashandburn Regular Member

badminton player
    try woven 7i.....

8. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

I had the same issue. I had the ti10 (and i still have it :D, just dont use it much any more) and then i got the w7, but i was pretty heavy for me, and the guy i bought it from was nice enough to trade me back for a w8 and it was perfect. Its not as offensive a racket as the w7, and its more even balanced, but it still packs a punch when you get the chance. I highly recommend the w8 as an alternate.

additionally Dan also let me try out a pw12 which was an awesome racket. I really couldve gone with either one, they're both solid rackets but i decided to just stay with the woven series for the time being.

9. pedro22

pedro22 Regular Member

I have the Woven-8. It's stiff & even balanced, an excellent all-arounder. Very maneuverable, fast on defense and no slouch on offense either. But if you're an offense oriented player who likes to smash a lot you might find it lacking in power especially compared to the W-7.

I'd suggest you also look at the D-500 from the SOTX Diamond Fighter series. It's slightly more offensive than the W-8 but is just as quick.

10. ormy4

ormy4 Regular Member

Have all 3,

w7, singles great,can play doubles but defense is slower.
    w8, more doubles, even balance good all around.
    w9, ok for singles, good doubles attack racket more power than w8, defense is still good but slower than w8.

The rsl x2-sp is great for doubles as well very fast, power is not up to w8 or w9 level unless you got snappy wrists. If you do power is more than sufficient.

11. david07

david07 New Member

Student
    I personally had the woven 7 and 8. The Woven 7 was without a doubt, a harder racket to play with than the woven 8. If you are offensive based and find the woven 7 too head heavy, give the woven 8 and diamond fighter d500 a lool. Both of these are nice rackets.

12. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

GTO i have a w8 im going to post for sale if youre interested. itll be in the for sale forum.

13. Notnimdab729

Notnimdab729 Regular Member

Deputy General Manager
    So many rackets???

Hi GTOro,
    U may consider D500 or even Chao Pai NP799.;) Both are stiff but lighter than yr woven 7.:p Try these two rackets and they are slightly head lighter than W7 and easier to handle.;)
    Lee:D

#13 Notnimdab729, Feb 14, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  14. pedro22

pedro22 Regular Member

Another SOTX that plays like the W8 is the CP3000. It is the same weight, length and stiffness as the W8 and D500, and depending on the balance point of the one you get, it can be even balanced (like the W8) or slightly head-heavy (like the D500).

This is the racquet I use right now and if I were allowed only one word to describe it, I'd pick "FASTER". The W8 and D500 are fast, but the CP3000 is FASTER because of it's aero frame. It costs a little more, but once you see it's chrome/silver color and the cool "circle power" ripples on the side of the frame, spending the extra loonies will be worth it.

15. GT0ro

GT0ro Regular Member

thanks for your replies! i have one last question, what affects maneuverability more? racquet balance or racquet weight? and same with racquet power, balance or weight?

i'm planning on getting the combo deal from ibuysports and the owner has agreed to 3 racquets in any combination of w7, w8, w9 for $229 (ordering with a friend). so i will pick up a w8 or w9 now, and later on try out some of the other ones you guys mentioned.

16. ormy4

ormy4 Regular Member

if he ships ups he has to value very low, if not you will get absolutely killed on brokerage. Bought a racket here told the fellow not to ship ups which he did anyways cost me 30.00 dollars and that is using our work broker could have been much worse otherwise. If you value low and they get broken your s.o.l so be carefull how you ship. You have 2 stores in your area maybe try to have them match pricing all they can say is no. good luck.

17. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

Cab30ms - too much flex??? :eek: Besides our master Dink, this is the 1st one I saw cab30ms is rated as "flex". :rolleyes:

18. GT0ro

GT0ro Regular Member

don't get me wrong, the cab30ms us coded is a great racquet. but after playing with the w7 for about a month, the cab30ms just seems to flex a little too much for my liking...

19. DevilG

DevilG Regular Member

At first the W7 is just like a heavy stick to me and difficult to handle, but after I make the grip thicker, it becomes a really good one to me. Although I'm sure that I still haven't bring it's potential into full play...

If possible, try Victor PW-12 which is mentioned in the first post. I have had a few tries to it and I really think that this racket is amazing in terms of feeling. Don't know why but the sweet spot seems to very very large, so it is really comfortable when using it. It won't be good enough if you are finding one with supreme power. However, as a balanced all-rounded racket, PW-12 is really a good one.

20. azzman

azzman Regular Member

Update

GTO, can we get an update on your findings with the w7-w9?

Thanks!