Do a search...

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback' started by jordanwong, Feb 14, 2008.

1. jordanwong

jordanwong Regular Member

a lot of the posts i have read so far involves someone asking for some opinions or maybe just a question and around 40% of all those posts, some guy (or girl) will always say "please do a search before.."

yes, yes, i know it's been explained in a previous post, but seriously, cut the guy (or girl) some slack. a lot of you just sound annoying to me.

maybe they couldn't find it in a search or maybe they just want updated opinions. one could be a reader, just reading the topics in the front page for fun. i mean, not all people who have a question get their questions from doing searches. i could get information from reading a post with an interesting title and saying to myself "hey, i didn't know that. now i do. i'm glad someone posted this". but of course, i may not have read it if the guy (or girl) didn't not do a search, causing the post NOT to be on the front page. you see, it can help that one reposts a question or one requests for more opinion.

sure, if you want, keep saying "please do a search before..", but to me, you'll just be another annoying person.

i do not mean to offend anyone, just stating what i feel, and as a member, i believe that i am entitled to that right.

#1 jordanwong, Feb 14, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  2. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    true........ true....... true.......
    those regular readers or regular contributor also quite annoy when seeing new threads that is same or keep repeating topics..........:rolleyes:
    i keep quiet now.............:eek:

3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm, yes, it has been brought up before..

..on how to have the Search feature box be visible enough for everyone to see & use (just like we see on Yahoo! or Google website)..And I think the lack of its visibility might be a big factor..I think as of now, our admin. team is still "searching" for a way to make it visible enough..:cool:

4. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    You'd think, eh?

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

I think this issue has two sides.

According to my observation, most of the "please do a search" comes out when we found out there's a repeating thread regading a fairly recent identical or similar topic. No, I am not referring to an old and dead topic, which no one ever touched for 5 yrs.

I respect your point of view, as it takes a bit time for the new comers to get used to the environment, and I understand, everyone would like to receive a straight answer in 2 sec. However, to keep our community to be nice and neat, we need everyone to contribute. I have to say, most of the "please search" suggestion are referring obvious cases, and the search can be as simple as flip through "today's post" or "sticky threads", and you can find your answer right away.

We encourage ppl to talk and to share stories, however, chewing the same fruit can be tasteless. Please don't take the suggestion too personally. If you already tried, and still don't see the answer, simply ask you question again, and I am sure most ppl don't mind to give you the answer, or point you to the links.

6. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

put this in sticky pls....;);):)
    if kwun wants to,.,.

7. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    solution is easy, don't say anything from now on, and now they will have to search.

8. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    LazyBud is right...

there are a number of reasons for the 'do a search' mentality

1. if a topic has been answered thoroughly then all the information has already been stored somewhere - if an updated view is required - then the old information provides a good background / context for the new discussion.
    2. saves money - less threads means less storage for kwun to have to pay for
    3. speed - if you search for an answer to a common question (like how to smash harder, or who's the best mens singles player of all time) your almost bound to find an answer quicker than you can get a reply from another user.

of course instead of just saying do a search - it might be nice if those people actually found the duplicated topic and posted a link -that way the mod's could merge any new threads created with the old relevant thread.

what would be really really really really clever would be if when a new thread topic is submitted the forum figures out if it matches an old topic and suggests putting the post in that thread instead of creating a new one :) of course this is a really huge trick to do and a doubt it would happen - but a nice idea.

anyway - i'm done now :)

keep searching ;)

9. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

The way I see it, it depends on the member's personality. Even though I havent been here long, I find that 95% of the questions asked have been answered in the same thread or same topic. If the member bothered to read from pg 1 to current pg, they will know the answer.
    Or if they just glanced at the tournament software results, or looked at the BWF website, etc, etc.
    It happens more often during tournaments when the "Live Broadcast" links have already been posted for days, yet someone still asks the obvious.

So, for me, if I could take the effort to search, look thru & find the answer(even when I was a newbie), why cant they do the same thing ? After reading same question being asked for the 10th time in the same thread, it gets annoying to some of us who have been reading from pg 1.

10. jordanwong

it is not that. it is because some threads have the question on the first page and well the answer may lie in 1 out of their 20 pages. some people who just don't have enough time won't go through each one of their 20 pages. especially if each post on every one of those 20 pages were as long as this post. and don't forget about my other point. many questions actually come from reading interesting topics (most likely to be on the first page). if the post is a bit older, say on the third page or something, then the question wouldn't have came to mind at all. you still have to include those kind of people. although you may not read posts for fun, doesn't mean other people don't. and just cuz you can do it as a newbie, doesn't mean other people are like you. everyone is different

11. jordanwong

another thing is, a post, which has not been viewed or posted on for a time period, say 2 months, can be deleted, leaving room for more new and recent posts.

thanks for your opinions

12. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    When there's a specific answer to a question, such as:

"What are the days/times of drop-in at GGBC?"
    "When exactly is the All-England 2008?"

etc., it makes sense to post the a summary/solution on page-1, sure.

But a lot of topics, where there're lot of opinions, and many-sided solutions, browsing the pages is preferred.

Demanding rights (ha-ha!) is not the way to go about a free, on-line, well-managed resource, and is not going to garner support. Think of BadmintonCentral as a privilege. Unless you've sent Kwun a donation for upkeep, and bottles of booze to the other admins.

p.s. For other cool suggestions, maybe you can code it, and pass it to Kwun for integration. Can you code? Forums are about contribution.

-dave

#12 wood_22_chuck, Feb 15, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  13. jordanwong

where did i demand any rights? everyone is entitled to their opinion. i don't know what time period you live in because i certainly know that people from BC (british columbia) are allowed to express their opinions. and that is what a forum is about: expressing opinion.

14. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Oh. So, sorry. It's just when I read post #1 and I came across:

"i do not mean to offend anyone, just stating what i feel, and as a member, i believe that i am entitled to that right."

I mistakenly assumed you were demanding rights. It's back to ESL for me.

-dave

15. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Booze?
    Racquets are better ;)

16. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Um, this is a self-help forum...
    ...not an answering service of the paid or voluntary kind ;)

The lack of time applies to every member. It's indeed quite an idea that someone must chip in to assist others who don't have enough time to search the forum or read through the posts in the threads :eek:

If we have older members giving newer members pointers to where answers might lie, it's not because the former are obliged to do that and the latter possess the right to such efficient service.

It's merely an act of kindness spurred by a pasion for the game :)

17. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Errr, I'm also a working adult, time is also of the essense, if no time during the day sleep later, get up earlier, do a search for the info. It's about taking the trouble, maybe you're the 5% who take the trouble, 95% dont.
    If they are really, really interested about the subject, they would search, just like using search engines.

And yes, many a time the answer is not on pg 1 but swhere in pg 50 out of 80 pgs. That's what the "search" feature of the forum is for, they remember the answer better if one searches for it than just given on their lap. Stimes the same person asks the same question again the next time.

Deleting old posts might not work either, sometimes an issue that's a few years old ago crops up againor related issue. Some of us want to refer to what happened then - like the 2008 Korea Open incident, to compare with Taufik's 2006 HK Open walking out incident. Or 2008 OG, to compare with 2004 OG.

Anyway, if you're a programmer, maybe you have suggestions of coding the stuff. You can inform Kwun about it.

18. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
  19. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

I think you are dragging this issue to an extreme.

None of us said that you have to search every single page of every single thread in order to ask a question. If you have difficulty to get a satisfied answer, surely just ask. If the answer is really never been touched, or hard to be located, I am sure ppl are more than willing to bring you the answer. However, if tons of ppl suggest you to "do a search" regarding this topic, I am sure not everyone are jerk, and u indeed need to improve your own search skill. ;)

I think you take the suggestion of "do a search" a bit too personally. This forum is a free service for us badminton fans, and even if it is paying service, it can never satisfy everyone's need. Don't always take a suggestion as a way of saying "you are not as good as me". Take it as a positive thing as we all need ppl to push/motivate ourselves to improve. ;)

20. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

I like what LB said. Also here is my feeling on this. Please don't hurt mine.
    "Do a search first" do mean do a search first. Just say you can not find the topic or line and someone else will step up and help.Just like doing homework when you were a kid. It is better to try and fail the question then not to try at all. At lease there is an effort and we can figure out where the problem is.