Overhand clear!!! HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by exforce, Feb 14, 2008.

1. exforce

exforce Regular Member

Student
    Hi everybody, I am a beginner singles badminton player on my high school team. Every time I play one of my team mates, he would send it high and long and i would have a very hard time clearing it, my shots would usually be very weak or would hit the net. Is their any way to train my overhand or tips.

thx for the tips lol!!

2. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

1) Improve your footwork ( not running, but footwork ) so that you'll be able to get to the correct position faster.
    2) Get a coach or an advanced player to check your form and technique to see if something is wrong with your form and technique.
    I highly suspect that as a beginner, you're hitting the shuttle too low at impact, thus you're not able to use your wrist properly and your shots naturally become weaker. Well also to add to that, you'll be able to control the shuttle much easier if you strike the shuttle at a higher position.
    -Also, pronate your wrist when striking the shuttle, it makes the shots more powerful and easier to control.
    [​IMG]
    Adding to that, you'll also need to try to make use of your whole body to create as much power as possible when striking the shuttle. From your legs through your abdomens, your chest, your shoulder, elboes, and finally the wrist..

Another thing when clearing is that you'll have to have your non-racquet hand up in the air for balance, when striking the shuttle.

Hmm.. what else.. your grip might be wrong. You might be pan-handling like this:
    [​IMG] OR [​IMG]
    The use of this grip will naturally make you hit the shuttle at a lower position without pronating your wrist, so just confirm that your basic forehand grip is correct like this:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks Gollum for the grips guide.. http://www.badmintonbible.com/articles/grips-guide/grips/basic-grip.php

3. and_rew

and_rew Regular Member

try getting a friend or some one to hit nothing but clears to you and then train practice like heck.. because that what i did i spent a lot of my time doing that and it all paid off in the end so ya its really sweet, you can practice all your momentum and over head clears and your tips .. i suggest for tips that you try to tip them to the far left hand or right hand court :D

4. reiji

reiji Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Practice!

(1) Practice moving back to the baseline quickly without staring at the shuttle while doing so (affects your speed and the way you move)

(2) Don't be afraid. Strive to return a clear back to your opponent's baseline for a start

5. dorkboi92

dorkboi92 Regular Member

how do you improve the range of a clear? i cant seem to clear to the back alley

6. Bertje

Bertje Regular Member

Student
    dorkboi92,

you probably aren't using your power right in the shot. Since badminton is a sport based on technique and not on muscles you probably have enough power to clear the shuttle all the way to the back alley, but you just don't know how to put all of that power into your shot.
    Make sure your impact point and grip are correct and get a coach to watch you clear, he can then determine exactly what you are doing wrong.
    Sometimes beginners try to get all their power purely from their wrist, in stead of from their entire body.

But jhirata already explained all this in an excellent post.

7. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    well said everyone.