Badminton Fitness Training for Busy People

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Lefty23, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Lefty23

Lefty23 Regular Member

Professional
    Hi, could everyone suggest the most time-efficient exercises for becoming fit for badminton? By efficient I mean the exercises should yield the most benefit for the time invested.

I work six days a week (excluding overtime) and free time is scarce. Normally after work I go straight to playing badminton. Maybe there's something out there that I can do in the morning or during lunch break...as long as I won't look like a weirdo doing them at work.

From my searching, the two exercises that come to mind are rope-skipping and the Tabata Interval method. However, I don't want to use Tabata for skipping as it is an impact exercise and probably bad for the joints...

2. mojopin

mojopin Regular Member

Medical student
    go for a (very? )fast run during one of your breaks?

3. crosscourt

crosscourt Regular Member

Legal
    I'm in a similar position and I've tried to do the following :

1. Always take the stairs
    2. Never sit at your desk for more than 30 mins (even if it's just to go and refill a glass of water)
    3. Do a short walk both before and after lunch.
    4. If you need to speak to someone, go and speak to them face to face rather than on the phone
    5. You could also get a squeezy ball for squeezing while thinking

there are probably lost of other things but this is what I have thought of so far. Let me know if you think of anything.

4. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Hold your breath while doing intervals.

5. crosscourt

crosscourt Regular Member

Legal
    I don't understand what you mean by 'intervals'?

6. stumblingfeet

Interval training e.g. the Tabata protocol is a form of interval training because it has alternating intervals of work and rest.

Also, isometric split squat holds are terrific, because you don't need any equipment, and hardly any warmup either.

7. mojopin

mojopin Regular Member

Medical student
    how about getting up early to work out, or not working the overtime and forcing yourself to timetable in dedicated exercise time? not always possible, but im sure plenty of people allow themselves to be robbed of time. Could it be as simple as rearranging priorities?

8. stumblingfeet

I'd rather get more sleep than wake up early. Besides, after sleeping your spinal discs are swollen with fluid. This ends up creating a stress concentration effect at your spine, so generally working out about up to an hour after waking is not the best idea.

Really, fitness training doesn't need to take up that much time. People tend to do too much junk volume in their training anyways.

9. Lefty23

Lefty23 Regular Member

Professional
    Exactly what I thought!

Is this what you mean about isometric split squats?

#9 Lefty23, Feb 15, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  10. stumblingfeet

Pretty much, though I have a few comments. That guy has a very shallow lunge - the distance between his feet is relatively small. The result is that he ends up leaning forwards, putting more stress on the knee extensors and less on the hip extensors. Instead, I would split my legs further apart, and go until my hips are at the same level as front knee.

Also, the feet are important in this exercise. I would suggest doing it without shoes, and keep the weight on the ball of your foot. Distribute the weight evenly between both legs.

11. Lefty23

Lefty23 Regular Member

Professional
    You mean on the ball of the front foot? Sounds hard. I'll do it! :D How long should I hold it? And how many reps a day?

12. Lefty23

Lefty23 Regular Member

Professional
    Hi, crosscourt. My office doesn't have stairs, but we have some >30 foot high storage tanks in our plant area with stairs I can climb. Thanks for the tips!

13. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    if your problem is that u get out for breath in a 16+ shot (singles) rally, than the best thing you can do i cardio training. And unlike stumbling, i think that the best time to do it IS in the morning.
    But not running or any land exercises, the best cardio training is swimming. Works your breathing, your upper body and your legs, and doesnt do anything to your joints or spinal discs. Plus it will completely wake you up.

14. stumblingfeet

Yes, on the ball of the foot. I know it's not how you would lunge in a game, but this is only a general exercise, not a lunging technique exercise. When you hold the position this way, your glutes become better activated, which is a good thing. It also improves the static strength of your plantarflexors, which is really good for agility.

As for sets/reps, try to do the hold in as few sets as possible. For example, try as hard as possible to hold the position in a single set. This is really hard! However, learning to hold proper form while fatigued is a valuable skill to have for an athlete, as it transfers into having decent technique even when tired.

In terms of time, start of with 2-3 minutes as your goal. Eventually, try to make it up to 5 minutes.

15. stumblingfeet

Swimming doesn't teach you any movement skill or positions that are useful
    for badminton. Therefore, in terms of efficiency swimming is quite poor as an extra exercise.

I like exercises that have a number of benefits. For example, the isometric split squat teaches you to fight fatigue, fire your glutes, improve the muscular endurance of your legs, improves your flexibility in a useful way, etc. Therefore, it delivers a lot of bang for your buck in terms of training time. So, if you only have a limited amount of time to train, you should choose these types of exercises.

16. 77suns

77suns Regular Member

-
    Agreed with stumblingfeet, i had been practicing lunges for a few months now and they are great. In addiction i have add some body rotating movement on diagonal lunges and found it improve my body balance greatly. In playing we actually does that in some degree so this is a footwork and body coordination exercise 2 in one.

17. ayiee1976

ayiee1976 Regular Member

Internal Auditor
    Fitness Training for 3 weeks

As i will be away for 3 weeks and will not be playing badminton at that time, so I'm planing to improve my fitness level. Is there any specific training/programme to improve fitness and my footwork/agility.

There are no gym at the place that I'm going to stay and I only bring my skipping rope. I'm planning to do these routine 3-4 time a week. Anybody can give advice/suggestion or either add or delete certain excercise in this schedule would be much appreciated.

1. Warm-up 15min
    2. Running10min-15min (Easy Jog & Walk)
    3. Skipping10min-20min (2min with 1min rest)
    4. Press-ups 7x
    5. Sit-ups 7x
    6. Squats 10x
    7. Back lift 10x
    8. Back extension 5x
    9. Burpees 5x
    10. Burpees + Star Jumps 5x
    11. Forward lunge 5x
    12. Step-ups 20x

#17 ayiee1976, Apr 20, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
  18. camille

camille Regular Member

ECE Instructor
    This was very helpful. Thank you for the reference point.

19. Lefty23

Lefty23 Regular Member

Professional
    Hand grippers are great! Powerballs, not so efficient, and they make a lot of noise. Hand/finger strength and proper technique is essential to avoiding tennis elbow.