Running exercises for badminton

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by emogirl, Feb 15, 2008.

1. emogirl

emogirl Regular Member

Don't have one
    I did cross-country at my school.And I've heard that badminton is aerobic exercise,so I was wondering.To get better should I start doing windsprints and running miles to get faster and build endurance?Or should I stick to chasing after birdies my friend tosses back at me???Please help a beginner in need.

2. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Badminton IMO, is anaerobic, not aerobic. It involves lots of very fast footwork, some sprinting, dives, etc. One of the most commonly done excercise for badminton is the shuttle-run.

The shuttle-run is an excercise where you will have to sprint from the starting line ( lets call it line 1 ), to another line ( lets call this line 2 ), then lunge down and touch the ground, sprint back to line 1, and then sprint up to line 2 again, lunge, touch ground, come back, lunge, touch ground, and so on.. I usually do 8 and have a quick rest. Other than this, there's also the lunging excercise and squat-jump excercise done in the same way.

Badminton is a fast sport, so you'll need to have the stamina to constantly sprint, jump, lunge, etc, but you shouldnt do slow, long-distance running because it's not really relevant to badminton.