Congratulations to GGBC Mike Yang, Coach Chandra and GGBC Tiger Team!

Discussion in 'Golden Gate Badminton Club ( GGBC ) (CLOSED)' started by GGManagement, Feb 18, 2008.

1. GGManagement

GGManagement Regular Member

Hello BC Friends!
    [​IMG]

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]We just wanted to proudly announce that GGBC, Mike Yang and Coach Chandra, WON the "A" level, Men's Doubles Champions of the Bay Area Open yesterday Sunday, Feb 17th, at Smash City in Milpitas! Mike and Chandra beat out very strong opponents and sweeped the finals with their excellent condition and clever skills!. We just hope everyone will rejoice with us in giving them a GREAT BIG HAND AND CONGRATULATIONS!![/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Many of our GG Team members also played and put in such a great performance that we want to commend them for their excellent sportsmanship and determination. Their dedicated training really paid off for them and we hope they are as happy as we are for them! Those GGBC Tigers are Edric, Vinay, Alex, Bonnie, Ronald, Vincent, Chris, Colin, Stella and many more....! [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Congratulations to Mike & Chandra and our GGBC Tigers! [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Proudly Yours, [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]GG Management[/FONT]
    [​IMG]
    [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Contact GGBC [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Website: [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]www.ggbadminton.com[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Email:[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]info@ggbadminton.com[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]GGBC 1 [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Address: 190 Constitution Drive, Menlo Park, CA 94025 [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Phone: 650-838-9318[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Fax: 650-838-9229[/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]GGBC 2 [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Address: 4230 Hubbard Street, Emeryville, CA 94608[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Phone: 510-655-8989[/FONT]
    [FONT=Georgia,Times New Roman,Times,Serif][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Fax: 510-655-8988[/FONT][/FONT]​

2. kokcheng

kokcheng Regular Member

Congratulations!Nice to know that there is a fantastic club active in badminton in the US.

3. s.tran

s.tran New Member

Truthfully, it's not much of a win if there wasn't really any competition. The draws was a joke when you place all the good teams one side of the brackets. It is kinda funny that Mike Yang chooses to play a tournament when Holvy & Arnold from Smash City as well as Chris Hales & Daniel Gouw are MIA. Nonetheless you shouldn't be so proud of this achievement post this when you actually play "[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] very strong opponents and sweeped the finals with their excellent condition and clever skills[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]"[/FONT]

4. SuperKaren

SuperKaren Regular Member

student

hahaahh. seems like there is a hater in this forum. :/ what happen to the "friendly sport" motto eh? LOL. You try playing them, if you can beat them and you have the right to critic about them. L

5. GGsally

GGsally Regular Member

Mike and Chandras Win on Bay Area

Hello S.

I'm sorry you feel so poorly about other peoples joy. They saw the draws when everyone else did. Mike has been competing in Bay Area opens for years against many strong opponents, sometimes losing and sometimes winning. Holvy, Arnold, Dan, Chris, Mike, Chandra, Stanley, Bao, Luc and many others are all A players in the Bay Area. If you are saying that Mike and Chandra did not have much competition then maybe you are insulting their opponents rather? :rolleyes: When you say they place "all the good teams on one side of the brackets", which side of the bracket did you place GGBC and their opponents in the tournament? I'm not sure how you would feel if someone said the same of your game.

In competition, we all fight hard, but having proper conduct is just as important. Everyone tried their best and that's the best show of sportsmanship. I hope you will consider, it is a sport, and no matter what, everyone going into a competition will want to WIN, fight to win, and there can only be 1 Winner.

Maybe Kwun can talk about good Sportsmanship in his next article in GG Newsletter? :D

Thank you for your letter Mr. S. It opens a good topic.

Regards, Sally

#5 GGsally, Feb 19, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  6. mayst982

mayst982 Regular Member

Draws and player ratings

Just a few points regarding the recent Bay Area Open since it looks like a can of worms has just been opened:

- The presence of "all good teams" on one side of the bracket is most likely due to the lack of or inadequate system used in seeding the players. This is not a singular event but has occurred in the past, and will continue to occur unless the organizers of tournaments, including US Badminton, decides that a system is needed for the sake of the support and all that good stuff. Interestingly, US table tennis was in such a dilemna a few years back. But rather than sit back and live with their current system, they (for this was needed a collective effort for success) decided that a change was necessary and beneficial. If there is enough interest, the article on this can be found in: http://www.davidmarcus.com/Articles/NewTTRS.pdf. Additionally, as pointed out in another post, the tournament director needs to ensure that the draw is fair. However, the absence of an objective system precludes other factors which will most likely result in further criticism.

- The absence or presence of players is not the fault of the players who decided to participate in the tournament. Those who did not show up for whatever reason cannot be faulted. It should be noted that various announcements were made on Jan 10, 2008 on those (Chris, Dan G, Arnold and Lauren) who are members of the Thomas Cup team and will be out of the country on certain dates. On Jan 16, 2008, the dates for the Bay Area Open were announced. So, it would have been better had the tournament dates been moved?

- This does not change the fact of the folks who won the events. Each individual and team won their flights without an asterisk * ;)

7. s.tran

s.tran New Member

I guess criticism is a little hard on some, this is not hating... more of stating the obvious. Just a bit of exaggeration in his statement. And as for criticizing, its human nature to do so... having the skills or there lack of would not change a human mind or there ideas of matters. My statement still stands.

8. GGsally

GGsally Regular Member

Constructive Criticism

Mr. S,

I'm an advocate of constructive criticism, but to be honest, yours was quite harsh considering your understanding of this situation, hence you receive feedback from others who do have a better understanding. This is what's good about a forum that everyone can state their honesty and receive the same in return. I appreciate some comments made on the draw issue by other guests on this topic, thank you, but I don't really understand that part myself.. But I will tell you what I do know..

Every player enters a tournament to get experience, (me), or enters to WIN, (me also). Who doesn't? When I was playing in D, I met alot of players I didn't think were as "D" as I, but there is no "E" level :crying:. When Mike finished the SEMI's he said there was a stage in the game that if they didn't get that point back, they would have gone south. Bao and Luc were leading 17 to 15 in the first game. THe game can go anywhere from there. GGBC team fought back to WIN.

Ok, one more try in hopes you may understand:rolleyes:. When Mike and I entered our UCB/GG Tournament for some big bucks one year, my very first one, I couldn't believe that after working on the preparation team for weeks before, leaving the club at 1:00 am the first day almost passing out, our tournament director told us to arrive at 7:30am the next day cos our game started at 8am! This director is very punctual, unfortunate for me that day, and I couldn't stop complaining that "can't we have some kind of "special treatment here" cos... aren't we HOSTING this tournament? I complained to Mike ceaselessly cos I really thought with Mike behind me, I had a chance to win this darn thing, it was my first tourny, I was nervous, all those excuses, so I needed SLEEP. But Mike said..NOOOO.. we get nothing... if Chris say we play, then we play. :( The next morning I had to PEEL myself out of bed, had nothing to eat, and of course we LOST because I couldn't even LIFT my racquet although, I did try my very best which was terrible cos I can play much better I'm sure. Poor Mike, with ample experience, did his best to cover me, but I was really sleepwalking thru the whole thing :eek:. Well.. our opponents were so happy cos they "BEAT MIKE!", but actually I was too DOPEY laa...But that's the thing.. everyone has a CHANCE to win at one time or another. Both Mike and Chandra have played Bay Area open several times against the MIA Players you spoke of. They have both won and lost. That is the spirit of sports, not just badminton.

Mr. S, GGBC will be hosting the Adult Nationals on April 4th to 6th in Menlo Park. Anyone can enter as long as you have been in the US for 1 year. Would that apply to you? Chris Lawrence, same guy above, will be directing. If you would like to enter, please go to our website and download the entry form or we will be posting the Adult Nationals entry form on here today. You will get put, where you get put, NO special treatment :rolleyes: and.. we do guarantee you will have a chance to WIN. THen we will be happy for YOU!:D

As I said, you opened a good topic.. I hope we can get some feedback from others too!

Regards to you, Sally ;)

9. SuperKaren

student
    Mr. S, GGBC will be hosting the Adult Nationals on April 4th to 6th in Menlo Park. Anyone can enter as long as you have been in the US for 1 year. Would that apply to you? Chris Lawrence, same guy above, will be directing. If you would like to enter, please go to our website and download the entry form or we will be posting the Adult Nationals entry form on here today. You will get put, where you get put, NO special treatment :rolleyes: and.. we do guarantee you will have a chance to WIN. THen we will be happy for YOU!:D

wait.. isn't the minimum requirement for Adult Nationals like at least a B level or something? btw. I think the guy is just bitter or something. Did't see him going to Bintang forum and blabb like that.

10. GGsally

GGsally Regular Member

The Great America....

wait.. isn't the minimum requirement for Adult Nationals like at least a B level or something? btw. I think the guy is just bitter or something. Did't see him going to Bintang forum and blabb like that.[/quote]

Actually Ms. Super, GGBC is hosting the tournament but even I don't know what the criteria is. Very unprofessional of me, I'm sure. :rolleyes:. BUT what I love about America is that you can speak your mind. And we always should.

Thank you for your understanding as well.

Sally

11. SuperKaren

student
    thank you for your reply. Very professional. :)

12. GGsally

GGsally Regular Member

Adult Nationals qualifications

Dear Ms. Super and BC Friends!

Thought I'd go get my facts straight since I was quite embarrassed to not know what the qualifications were to enter the Adult Nationals:crying:! My apologies!

ANYONE is qualified to enter the Adult Nationals, levels A-B-C or D (even ME:rolleyes:) if they've been a resident of USA for at least "one year" (not me:(). There you go! Anyone can come to have fun in this tournament if you fit the above! So now you can think about becoming an entry in the US Adult Nationals.

2008 will be the FIRST time since the tournament's inception in 1937, that it will take place in the Bay Area. GGBC is proud and honored to be the first torch bearer of this majestic event. We will guarantee to give it the prestige it deserves because we have the best tournament Director, Chris Lawrence flying in from Indianapolis, co-directing with Mike Yang. Chris is so serious he held a 9 hour umpire clinic in GGBC yesterday and the turn out was the 2nd best he's ever had he said! So it's great Bay Area residents want to participate and understand more about tournaments! Hope you will all get in on the action and come play in the US Adult Nationals at GGBC! We are excited in anticipation for an awesome Tournament!

See you at GGBC April 4th to April 6th!

Regards, GG Sally :D:D

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    OMG!! i missed the clinic! i was going to register but work got piled up and everybody is sick at home and that just slipped my mind. :(

:crying: :crying: :crying:

14. GGsally

GGsally Regular Member

Ohhhhhhh Kwunnnn!!!!

KWUN!!!! You GOT TO BE KIDDING!!! YOU the founder of BC!!! :eek:. Great Badminton Advocate! OK now we will never trust your line calls.. ;) But your photos can't be BEAT!! See you at the Nationals in GGBC!

Sally

15. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Off topic-kwun missing out on the clinic is forgiven..

..but missing out on the upcoming U.S. Nationals is a NO NO..right, Sally??..:p:)
    ...kwun, get healthy soon because everyone will be waiting for your pics of the U.S. Nationals....;)

16. LONE-EAGLE

LONE-EAGLE New Member

March Newsletter

Hi Sally,

It's Andrew from the UK here. Well, how long has it been since I last wrote to you?? - I can't remember!! I love your article in the newsletter about being a badmintonholic, it explains just how committed and dedicated you are to this sport. I would like to play myself one day but as I don't have anyone to practice with:crying: I would have to whack the birdie over the net and then run around to the other side to whack it back!! There's also a big badminton tournament here in Birmingham soon - Yonex all England Open, you probably already know about this one though. Anyway, keep on playing!!

Best wishes,
    Andrew.

17. GGsally

GGsally Regular Member

No partners in England???

Gosh Andrew what in the heck are you doing in BC??? I do go into delphi still! But glad to see you nevertheless. Well.. you cannot be serious about finding no one to practice in ENGLAND?? Where the sport originated??? :crying:. Nada... Gottta try harder Andrew!! Go get that birdie NOW and become a certified badmintonholic! I swear you will THANK ALL OF US HERE AT BC!! Hahaa.. Kidding aside.. I hope you are doing well and hope you will be "affected" by all the baddies here in BC and go pick up a racquet sometime!!

Fondly, Sally

18. N n n n n

N n n n n Regular Member

So, what, are you blaming Mike and Chandra for winning and playing hard? Get real. If you really want to complain, write to David Chiu who runs BA Open for creating 'lopsided' (in your opinion) draws.