Drops.

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by YinLoung, Feb 19, 2008.

1. YinLoung

YinLoung Regular Member

Hi, I've been playing badminton for about 9 months now and I feel I need to improve my dropp. I generally does them pretty close to the net at a good angle but the problem is. The speed. If I play against those that have issue with their footwork or fitness, I'm doing fine but when the other side know show to run around, I'm a bit in trouble.

I'm praticing the drop where we brush it..but I can't make it perfect...tips anyone?

2. Loopy

Loopy Regular Member

What more do you need? You already know the basics of slice drops. Just keep practicing.
    It's also a matter of reading your shots. People can see drop shot miles away because your movements can be very predictable. Just practice clear/smash/drops with the same movement. For example, do a clear movement, but at the very last moment, decide you want to do a drop shot. This makes the read more difficult.

And last, some players will be very good at speed and reading whatever you throw at them and they will get there. Don't expect your drop shots to be winners or get them in difficult situation. After all, rallies can last for long exchanges, so then it's a matter of physical fitness and tactical manoeuvering... That's how the pros play after all...

3. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    If you're worried about your speed, sacrifice the tightness of the drop for a fast drop landing around service line. This will push your opponents more where a slow drop will give them time to reach the front and do a net kill, shallow lift, or tight spinning netshot.

4. reiji

reiji Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Generally, if you do a fast slice drop, it would not be that easy for your opponent to push the shuttle downwards unless your oppponent is prepared for your move. For instance (1) while playing doubles when one guy guards the net and (2) in singles, you couldn't move back in time and your body language basically gave your move away.

Vary your strokes, practice deception (as explained by Loppy), and use drop as an a means to force your opponent to lift the shuttle, instead of hoping it to end a rally :)

#4 reiji, Feb 19, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2008