Does the racket or technique matter?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by 7slee0, Feb 19, 2008.

1. 7slee0

7slee0 Regular Member

Is it all in the technique to smash or the racket. Is it all in the technique to drop or the racket? I think its racket but i really want to know so i can do better in games.

2. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    If u give a sniper to someone who can't shoot,i'm still not sure that he can hit the target properly..

This topic has been discussed many times before.Rackets r just like weapons..they will perform as the user's technique.A racket is controlled by the player's hand,not by itself..so that explains alot.If someone couldn't control it,the output will be obvious..

3. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
  4. 7slee0

7slee0 Regular Member

oh thanks you guys -_- i forgot to search. i was kind of confused. soz

5. ratbukayo

ratbukayo New Member

i agree with a previous post that footwork is number one in badminton. if you dont get to the ball in time, you wont be able to make a good shot or you wont get to the next shot in time.

but i disagree with that post where the racket doesnt matter. there are a lot of rackets out there for different types of play and a players build/strength. find a racket that you are most comfortable with. i had a fake yonex racket and an original at one time. ive been told that my clears werent as sharp as when i use the original. i am also able to put higher tension on better rackets which give me better control of the ball. i also found that with the power i have in hitting the shuttle, i tend to lose some of that power with flexible shafts (in fact ive broken a racket in the shaft and not the head). find a racket that isnt too heavy. some have trouble with heavy rackets, some dont. some find it hard to clear a shuttle with a racket that is too light (especially when the ball is given waist or knee high in mid court).

yonex rackets are really good, BUT VERY EXPENSIVE. there are a lot of good rackets at reasonable prices like rsl and karakal. try to borrow a racket and try it out before you buy one.

6. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

technique over racquet all the time. the quality, or should i say suitableness of your racquet to your playing style is important, but i don't think it would contribute much more than 20% to your overall game.

7. aerotus70

aerotus70 Regular Member

technique , string tension, string, lastly racket

8. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    as long as it's a decent full carbon graphite racquet, it shouldn't matter much. metal racquets aren't fun though. but technique is very important. i like Smichz comparision, but i think a more appropriate that: even if you have a lightsaber, you still can't defeat anyone without the Force. :cool::cool:

9. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Everybody... you're wrong. It's ALWAYS been the racquet:D. Improving technique does nil for the world economy while buying stuff like racquets keep the world turning with everybody employed and happy:D!

The racquet is the be-all-end-all of your badminton dreams because it takes the blame for all your mistakes. When you mis-hit your shot, it's the racquet's fault. When you served into the net, it's the racquet's fault. When you hit a pop-up shot that ended up in your partner's face, guess who's fault it is... the racquet's, of course:p!!!! Get the wrong one and you have nobody but yourself to blame:rolleyes:.

10. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    this is very true.............:D

11. ratbukayo

ratbukayo New Member

The racket shouldnt take the blame. But it helps to find one that suits your game.

12. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    hahaha cappy75 thats funny got a good laugh out of that, good stuff.

back to the origional question yeah technique is deffinetly matters more cause in the end the racquet is only a tool and you always need to know how to use a tool before you can fully utilize it. i own some racquets that are in the higher end half of the brand i use and i use them just cause they have that feel that feels right not cause its advertised as the best racquet. You have to know how to use it before you can fully utalize it and once you know how to do that then you can find a racquet that will be able to enhance your skills, example if you have a compact swing then you go for a stiff racquet so you can hit harder, not so compact swing then use a flexible racquet so you can get that power also.

I have also played with those oldschool wooden racquets and i can safley say that i play exactly the same there is some discrepency due to string tension of those racquets but still requires the correct technique to use it. Which i can say that technique is more important than the racquet.

13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    There's no 100% or 0%. Of course, racket counts, as it's part of the equipment you need to play the game. However, when compare to the technique, the racket is much less important.

There's a relatively big gap between "suitable vs. non-suitable" racket. However, the gap between "expensive vs. less expensive" or "latest model vs. recent model" could be very minimal or even the other way around. Personally, I think an investment of US$100-150 and 1 or 2 weeks of demonstration of different types of rackets should be way good enough to help you to find a decent one. However, such things can't say about the training. ;)

14. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

Nonono, I don't agree.

Racket purchase only contribute to the "manufacture" sector, but training helps the "service" sector. In western world, usually the labor cost is a lot of more than the material. No wonder even in US, which manufacture index suffers a lot, the service sectors still kept as a fairly decent level. :D

15. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    HA! No way, dude:p! Even though they have to make the racquets, the individual racquets have to go through many resellers/distributors who otherwise won't have jobs bring the perfect racquets to the shops who has to employ sales clerks to sell to the final buyers:D. I think learning technique just benefits the coach:D.

16. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    chicken and egg

which came first? technique or racket??

Ans: RACKET!!

17. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    the answer shall be technique....:rolleyes:
    as you mentioned, technique or racket? technique was mention 1st......:p

18. pawpawsalad

pawpawsalad Regular Member

it's all in the racquet. why do you think top players used yonex instead of cheap brand racquet :D