footwork & returning flick serve

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by gingerphil79, Feb 21, 2008.

1. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Im a beginner/intermediate player, improving al the time. Everytime i watch a doubles match, the men when receiving serve stand at the front service line which for the short serve is great, np there but wat i have probs wit is getting back to return the flick serve from standing at the front service line.

Is there a particular footwork movement that is supposed to be done or practice a can do to practice this movement?

Generally i stand about 2 - 3 feet back from the front service line & i can return any kind of serve but i want 2 b able 2 attack the low serve easier which means moving forward but then this means i can be flicked easy. Any1 ave any advice?

2. Alaric

Alaric Regular Member

IT Consultant
    Be faster and train for 6 hours a day! ;)

To be honest it's really difficult unless you are a really top player and very fast to be able to toe the line and attack low serves but also be able to get back for flick serves.

Footwork can help a bit but it is more about your speed of movement and the speed of your reactions. I have been playing for years and still can't stand anywhere near the line, but try to gradually move your base forward as your speed and reactions get better.

I think realisically unless you train very hard and a lot you will not be able to play the way that top player do, but you can work towards it, you can always look to improve all aspects of your game.

So if in six months time you can stand six inches closer to the service line and still effectively cover flick serves then that is an improvement.

Good luck. :)

3. mojopin

mojopin Regular Member

Medical student
    Lean forward, think back.

4. Alaric

Alaric Regular Member

IT Consultant
    Do you stand with your non racket foot forward?

5. reiji

reiji Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Stand on the balls of your feet. And agreed, "Lean forward, think back".

From a recreational player's perspective, i agree that it's almost impossible to be standing at the front service line and be quick enough to return a good flick serve. The mental aspect (to stay focused throughout your entire session of play) in responding to a flick serve while trying constantly to attack your opponent's low serve itself is already very taxing.

Despite saying this, I believe that one must still strive to do so (stand as close to the service line as possible to attack your opponent's serve) in order to move your level of play to the next level. That would then be truly considered as playing doubles!

6. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    i do stand with my non racket foot forward, im right handed so my left foot is forward