a doubles match question

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by nipoy, Feb 21, 2008.

1. nipoy

nipoy Regular Member

college student
    hi! i've been playing badminton since august 2007. now that's about 6 months of regular play upto this day. i can say that my level of gameplay is intermediate. other players say i'm well rounded. a class A friend of mine said, that my strokes and footwork are good.

so much for that, here's my question.

what do i actually do when im paired with someone who only does drops and clears everytime the ball reaches him? also, the ball only reaches me when i steal shots from him. any professional ideaS? tnx

2. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

what do you mean?
    are your opponents targeting only your partner?
    don't you get the chance to hit the shuttle otherwise?

3. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    Lately, I realized that almost all players asking for help on this forum, are either advance level(sounding like experts), or they are intermediate level (don't have a clue of what to do)... then the question is "Where are all the beginners?":rolleyes:

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I am a super beginner. ;) I am proudly admit it.

Anyway, my suggestion will be, if the partner is significantly weaker in the overall game (especially playing in the back), then, you need to try to front-back formation. If he's decent at net, then let him use the drops and drives to setup for partner's kill. Lift in a competitive double game could be very risky, which gives the attack to opponents. Attack clear can be used at the situation of being pushed to the rear.

5. reiji

reiji Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Don't know what you mean either ;p
    I'll assume the following then :-
    (1) When you are in the front and your partner's at the back, he'll only do drops and your opponents will reply mostly with lifts to the back
    (2) When your partner does a clear and you guys position side-by-side, your opponents will choose to hit to you partner

You may try to engage your opponents more by :-
    (3) positioning a little further from the net while standing at the front to make your opponents feel more comfortable in playing net
    (4) force a rotation with your partner (e.g. by covering the backhand corner after your partner did a drop from the forehand corner and your opponents lift to your backhand corner), assuming you guys have some chemistry
    (5) choose to go for a smash/drop when your opponents clear to you so that you and your partner will adopt a back-front position. Assuming (1), you can hold on to the shuttle perpetually :)

6. reiji

reiji Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Where else? They've all evolved to the "intermediate" or "advance" level ;)

Hi! me too... :) An intermediate level player, imo, should be one who's able to play all kinds of strokes from any positions, instinctively and consistently!

7. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    I don't know why your complaining. Lol.

Its much more fun to listen to intermediate and advanced level questions than beginners. What do you mean intermediate having no clue? They wouldn't be intermediate then.

About the doubles, if it goes to the back and your always in the front you shouldn't be getting the shuttle anyways. When he gets to serve, you vaguely have the shuttle when they clear it or hits it far back. If your partner still steals the birdie away from you, you need to talk to him about it. Birdie hogger haha. Probably because he doesn't feel confident in you hitting it. I do that all the time. :p

8. williamboo

williamboo Regular Member

your partner needs some training, haha, playing doubles with only drops and clears is going to be a very long game for you guys.

9. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Mabuhay,
    Communicate with him/her I guess. What's the strategy like? Just do what's best that you/partner can do. Enjoy the game. Life is short.

10. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    My original "complain" was that everyone who is a beginner and asking beginner question always say they are "intermediate" level... only a handful are honest enough to admit they are not that good.

11. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    no offence to your partner at all when i say this but your partner is the weaker of the both of you in the situation you stated. dropping can put a little pressure on your opponents and get your the lift or set of your partner at the net but that requires some degree of stragaty, clearing isnt really a shot to use in doubles unless its attacking to force an offbalance player/flat footed player to the back to play a shot. But in your case you can try to play a modified game like when hes at the back you can try to rotate out of it so that he will come in and play the front where you can get back and play more offensive shots and try to set him up to win the point while hes trying to set you up.

other than that if you know hes going to be your partner in the future you can try to do some drills together to get him to work on some shots, otherwise if this is just liek random then you can talk with him. communication is key when your playing doubles dont be afraid to talk stragaty with him and say you know maby clearing isnt the best against this team or maby we shoudl try this, etc. I can admit that in compatation even i will pick on the weaker player in doubles even though doubles isnt my thing its more so a general consensis in tournaments. recreationaly i wont do that as much. But best of luck with it and hope that all goes well.

12. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    i agree with you. how could one be an intermediate player when he/she merely played for 6 months. :confused:

13. nipoy

nipoy Regular Member

college student
    tnx for the thoughts guys, for some i suppose.

now i dont feel like posting threads anymore, simple question = big deal for

some dont know why. this forum is suppose to help others. i dont see why

others have make a big "fuzz" about it.

to some, thank you ( i think front back formation would be the best thing to

do)

and what i meant with intermediate was being able to do forehand clears,

drop, smash, backhand clears and drops and average netshots. i think what

i'm lacking is strategy, that was actually the reason why i posted ok?

asking for strategies and techniques not strokes. and oh yeah playing 6

months really hard, you'll be surprise what you can accomplish. depends

actually whether your a fast learner or not.

and another thing, what i meant with the ball not reaching me. we call it here

"bodega" it means that my partner is weaker than i am thats why the

opponent takes the advantage of hitting the ball to my partner. does that

sound clearer now? my english isnt that good sorry.

thank you all folks. i think i wont be posting "noob" questions anymore.

14. smash_master

player/coach/student
    Nipoy,

Dont let others her make you feel out of place or make you feel bad in any way for posting any questions. you are right that this place is ment to help people and your question is a good one to ask and can be given advice from lost of people on this forum. As a coach myself i have coached different levels and can agree that after 6 months of playing some people can learn alot if there fast learners but more importantly if they apply themselfs and push themselfs. Dont let others deturn you from your quest to learn more about the sport you enjoy. everyone has to start somewhere right? not everyone starts out being a pro.

Based on your situation about them picking on the weaker player then yeah like stated before trying to play the front back might be better and if your partner gets stuck at the back then rotating out so that your in the back could work. as for stragaty in doubles the simpliest works wonders, find the open holes in the court and do down the center of both of them. something that might help is adding in a mixed element when you have to clear/lift. what i mean is since your the stronger player with better defence you shoudl clear/lift straight so that if they smash it woudl be harder/faster towards you where as would have to go crosscourt to your partner and be a lil easier for them to return and your partner woudl always clear/lift cross this way this tatic holds up. just a simpley mixed stragaty that you might be able to try out for that until their defence improves enough.

15. smash_master

player/coach/student
    a person can deffinetly achive that im not saying its impossible, there are lots of factors that can come into play. such as if their training or not, how many times a week they play the quality of the training and most importantly how hard they push themselfs to learn and how much they want to learn/improve, etc. nothing is impossible, it can be achived by players.

16. nipoy

nipoy Regular Member

college student
    thanks coach, the str8t lift/clear does make sense. i'll try that.

17. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

For the last week I've been playing no power shots at all. No smashes, no clears, no drives -- not even net kills. The most powerful shot I play is a lift, and I can only do that from the net.

This is all because I've just started playing with my right hand again, after shoulder surgery. Power shots are still too risky.

You'd be surprised how effectively you can play without power. I win most of my games (including singles), frequently by a large margin. Good touch shots will get you a long way.

...then again, I'm only playing at average-level clubs right now. My usual opponents would annihilate me.

It all depends on your opponents. A "no power" game will not work against truly strong opponents. But at lower levels of play, it can be an interesting discipline! You certainly learn how to spot the gaps. ;)

18. Folklung

Folklung New Member

Studying archaeology (not really a job is it?)
    You can be damned effective without power. Sometimes a good drop is better than a smash. Sides if you're good at returning smashes you can keep doing so untill he gets tired, or preferably fed up with it. But this requires skill. Personally I had some shoulder problems the last 2 months, so not the usual amount of smashing for me. I played one single with more or less only dropping (the occasional smash occured). It worked well, but it wouldn't have worked against the talents I normally play against (in competion I played against alot of those small talents that will play in one of the national leagues by the age of 18, and who are now 14 or so), they are quick and will be able to return most since they keep on reaching things. Against them one would be better playing smashes.

19. smash_master

player/coach/student
    i can agree with all that playing with power stuff but that is all dependent on the level as well like which was stated before. The more important aspect is that you play offensive shots which will put pressure on your opponents which can be infact a drop shot or a slice even a pump clear as well. You will have to attack deffiently i know at the level i play at having a good attack with power is deffinetly a necessity because it will be a good base to help you set your self up for winners as well as will win some points. Well when your playing as well try to look for weaknesses in your opponents game and exploit them like theres no tomorrow. If they favor a certin pace then try to change the pace to put them off of their game.

20. 77suns

77suns Regular Member

-
    Tell your partner to speed his shots sometime so there can be more variation in the game if he has not done so.