User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 94
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    T.O.
    Posts
    2,096
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Badminton may be cut from Olympics altogether after 2008

    http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/...ingnews-sports

    Exerpt:

    Representatives of baseball, softball and modern pentathlon will each have a brief 10-minute opportunity this afternoon to argue why their sport should continue to benefit from the lucrative exposure the Olympics provide.

    ...


    If the session decides to keep the three sports, Rogge's ruling executive board will have until next June's IOC assembly in Prague to find other ways to trim excess events. It has been suggested that events in badminton, rowing, canoeing, yachting and synchronized swimming are among the disciplines in danger.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    T.O.
    Posts
    2,096
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I know there's been talk about moving it to the Winter Olympics, but i had no idea they were thinking of cutting it altogether.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    T.O.
    Posts
    2,096
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Here's another (newer) article:
    http://www.gamesbids.com/cgi-bin/new...&id=1038686976


    Exerpt:
    [The first 3 sports were allowed to stay until another review in 2005]

    Now the IOCís ruling executive board will have to focus its attention on cutting disciplines from other sports in the next few months to find other ways of scaling down the Games.

    A report discussed at the IOC meeting suggested radical steps such as scratching disciplines like race walking and equestrian eventing.

    Badminton, rowing, canoeing, and yachting are also in danger.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    boston, ma, US
    Posts
    808
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    um they are gonna cut badminton starting in 2008 in Beijing? yeah that's a good decision. cut the event which the hosting country and region of the world that clearly favors that sport. don't understand these things at all sometime. the world is runned by people with no mind.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New York, US
    Posts
    10,283
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Originally posted by jwu
    um they are gonna cut badminton starting in 2008 in Beijing? yeah that's a good decision. cut the event which the hosting country and region of the world that clearly favors that sport. don't understand these things at all sometime. the world is runned by people with no mind.
    I believe it will be after 2008. Still, cut a sport that played by over 30% of the world population is such a "fantastic" idea to reflect the "Olympic spirit"?????

    Wow... If that's the logic, why don't they cut basketball? Volleyball? Soccer? (Actually, almost all other "remaining events"). Since most of them, won't have much more population support than badminton (or table tennis) anyway... Never have to say, a lot of them won't have even close to have a support population as badminton.

    Ohhh... forgot this... Badminton and table tennis were dominated by asian nations, and few European ones...

    Hmmm... Ok... U got my point...

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    168
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Originally posted by LazyBuddy
    I believe it will be after 2008. Still, cut a sport that played by over 30% of the world population is such a "fantastic" idea to reflect the "Olympic spirit"?????

    Wow... If that's the logic, why don't they cut basketball? Volleyball? Soccer? (Actually, almost all other "remaining events"). Since most of them, won't have much more population support than badminton (or table tennis) anyway... Never have to say, a lot of them won't have even close to have a support population as badminton.

    Ohhh... forgot this... Badminton and table tennis were dominated by asian nations, and few European ones...

    Hmmm... Ok... U got my point...
    Heh yeah, point taken and agreed

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    T.O.
    Posts
    2,096
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Originally posted by LazyBuddy
    I believe it will be after 2008. Still, cut a sport that played by over 30% of the world population is such a "fantastic" idea to reflect the "Olympic spirit"?????

    Wow... If that's the logic, why don't they cut basketball? Volleyball? Soccer? (Actually, almost all other "remaining events"). Since most of them, won't have much more population support than badminton (or table tennis) anyway... Never have to say, a lot of them won't have even close to have a support population as badminton.

    Ohhh... forgot this... Badminton and table tennis were dominated by asian nations, and few European ones...

    Hmmm... Ok... U got my point...
    Well, on the the plus side, they are only thinking about cutting it, and it won't be cut until at least after 2008. Fortunately, "race walking" will probably go before badminton does. It sounds like baseball will probably be cut by 2008 though, so having Americans do well is no guarantee either.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New York, US
    Posts
    10,283
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Originally posted by bigredlemon
    It sounds like baseball will probably be cut by 2008 though, so having Americans do well is no guarantee either.
    Got ur point.

    However, Americans are not that dominated in baseball. They will face big charllenge from Cuba, other middle south American nations, and even Japan.

    The thing not for sure is: whether they can win baseball medal (especially without pros join the team). The thing for sure is: they can't get a shot in badminton in recent years... Maybe should I say, not even in a match like quater final lvl???

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    boston, ma, US
    Posts
    808
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Just something interesting that I found. When I went to the olympic site below:

    http://www.olympic.org/uk/sports/index_uk.asp

    and check out the events recognized, the representing picture is badminton. hmm...

  10. #10
    Administrator kwun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Santa Clara, California, United States
    Posts
    35,945
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    just look at this one photo of Lee Dong Soo, no one in the world will say that badminton isn't an extremely athletic sport:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    boston, ma, US
    Posts
    808
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I like the perspective of that shot. dang, that's a lot of ups.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    168
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    what a pic

    i need to learn how to jump like that lol

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Posts
    76
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It's too bad but true that sports will not be cut because of their merits as sports...but because of marketing, money, and so on. The Olympics are a big big business, and they're always looking for more more more. Sports like badminton that are seen as poor revenue generators may be cut for that reason alone.

    On the other hand, badminton's Asian appeal may save it, because I believe the Olympic organizers see a lot of (economic) potential for the games in that area - it's a huge market that they have only begun to reach into. Just look at the Soccer World Cup - the reason they chose Korea / Japan as hosts was mostly about marketing the game in that area - grow grow grow, money money money...same reason why China will host the Olympics next.

    Aaaaaaah...the spirit of the games...?

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Coquitlam
    Posts
    1,045
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Originally posted by ^shaz^
    i need to learn how to jump like that lol
    go do highjump

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    T.O.
    Posts
    2,096
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Originally posted by Shoulderpain
    It's too bad but true that sports will not be cut because of their merits as sports...but because of marketing, money, and so on. The Olympics are a big big business, and they're always looking for more more more. Sports like badminton that are seen as poor revenue generators may be cut for that reason alone.

    On the other hand, badminton's Asian appeal may save it, because I believe the Olympic organizers see a lot of (economic) potential for the games in that area - it's a huge market that they have only begun to reach into. Just look at the Soccer World Cup - the reason they chose Korea / Japan as hosts was mostly about marketing the game in that area - grow grow grow, money money money...same reason why China will host the Olympics next.

    Aaaaaaah...the spirit of the games...?
    Sad but true. Money is probably what prompted them to add baseball in the first place. Since 2008 will be hosted by China, a big badminton country, I'm hoping that will mean lots of badminton coverage in countries that wouldn't normally air badminton. When I hear olympic China, i think of ping pong and badminton. I think most people would rather watch badminton than ping pong. I guess that will be badminton's big chance to prove itself.

    Lately, a number of sports magazines has recognized how underrated badminton is the US. Hopefully, this pattern builds up until badminton is viewed much like soccer was viewed last year.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    T.O.
    Posts
    2,096
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Originally posted by kwun
    just look at this one photo of Lee Dong Soo, no one in the world will say that badminton isn't an extremely athletic sport:
    Hey kwun! that is a fake picture you posted... that isn't what really happened. I happen to have the REAL photo so i'll post it for you

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    T.O.
    Posts
    2,096
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The real original pic
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Beijing 2008 Olympics Badminton Video Sharing
    By asiatrader98 in forum Badminton Tournament Video Sharing
    Replies: 681
    : 10-18-2011, 02:39 AM
  2. Beijing 2008 Olympics Badminton Video MS WD WS 1/16 1/8 Finals
    By BeiYu in forum Badminton Tournament Video Sharing
    Replies: 38
    : 10-26-2008, 09:09 AM
  3. 2008 Beijing Olympics Badminton Trivia
    By Oldhand in forum Olympics BEIJING 2008
    Replies: 23
    : 09-03-2008, 04:28 PM
  4. Olympics 2008 Badminton Equipment
    By mirko in forum Olympics BEIJING 2008
    Replies: 28
    : 08-26-2008, 07:54 AM
  5. countdown to Beijing Olympics 2008 badminton
    By kwun in forum Olympics BEIJING 2008
    Replies: 118
    : 08-08-2008, 02:31 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •