User Tag List

Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This one from nst :

NST Online <A class=blu href="http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Section/index_html?mysec=Sport" target=_self>Sport
    2008/02/26

Badminton: Situation critical for national pairs

By : K.M. Boopathy

Koo Kien Keat (rear) and Tan Boon Heong should not underestimate unknown pairs.

THE inconsistency of Malaysia's doubles pairs was yet again blatantly exposed, and alarmingly this time by South Korean scratch pairs, in the final of the Thomas Cup Asian Zone qualifying round in Ho Chi Minh City on Sunday.
    Malaysia may have emerged champions but Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong, if they hope to be a power in the Beijing Olympics, and World No 14 Zakry Latiff-Fairuzizuan Tazari, if they are harbouring any hopes of making it to Beijing, had better pull up their socks quickly.

Malaysia eventually won the tie 3-2 but this was after Lee Chong Wei, Wong Choong Hann and Hafiz Hashim capitalised on Korea's weak singles line-up.

Kien Keat-Boon Heong have, on numerous occasions, shown their tendency to lose to lesser-known opponents and it happened again on Sunday when they lost to Jung Jae Sung-Lee Jae Jin in three games.

The Malaysian pair must stop the habit of treating unestablished pairs lightly, failing which they might end up paying a heavy price in major events.
    Kien Keat-Boon Heong will start the defence of their All England title in Birmingham a week from today and their path could be strewn with land mines starting with Japan's unpredictable Shuichi Sakamoto-Shintaro Ikeda, who dumped the Malaysian pair from the World Championships in Kuala Lumpur last year.

But what is more alarming is that Kien Keat-Boon Heong's pathetic habit could blow any chance Malaysia has of winning gold in the Olympics, and national doubles coach Rexy Mainaky has to start drilling into his top pair to stop the showboating and get serious.

As for Zakry-Fairuz, they looked more like victims of over-confidence against Hwang Ji Man and Park Sung Hwan and paid dearly when they took Sung Hwan, more a singles player, lightly.

Lack of focus and commitment have bugged the pair, especially Fairuz, and if they don't buck-up, their chances of qualifying for Beijing could go up in smoke.

No one knows for sure, but if there is problem persisting in the Malaysian camp, the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) and head coach Yap Kim Hock must act fast to douse it as the Olympics are only five months away.

On a happier note, the women - except for the semi-final loss to Japan - put in some polished displays and qualified for the Uber Cup finals on merit when they finished third.

BAM must continue exposing the women and who knows, they could surprise with a semi-final showing in the Uber Cup in Jakarta in May

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL...with nothing worth discussing here, its interesting how ppl now focus on the high-fives and make it into a big issue....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

kinda reminds me of sepak takraw, where the players always hold hands when they get a point or when they lose a point. the same gesture for both occasion. so maybe the highfive was not meant to be celebratory but merely encouraging each other. and gesture mean different things to many people. highfives are universally known to be celebratory but some people have been known to use it in a different context.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by azabaz_ipoh View Post
    kinda reminds me of sepak takraw, where the players always hold hands when they get a point or when they lose a point. the same gesture for both occasion. so maybe the highfive was not meant to be celebratory but merely encouraging each other. and gesture mean different things to many people. highfives are universally known to be celebratory but some people have been known to use it in a different context.
    True, its not about the point that was played, its about the playing the next point, focusing on the next point. Its that simple...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pjswift View Post
    What's this upset about MAS performance? MAS still emerge champions, right?
    What 's so inferior about a scratch pair? Scratch pairs of decent skills have an advantage over top seeded pairs because they know all about their opponents while their better ranked opponents will take at least one game to know how they play ,then another game to test out winning tactics by which time, with the NSS, the match would be over.
    Remember koo/tan won their titles with the benefit of being a scratch pair?
    There's no shame in Fuzzy (referring to Fairuz/zakry) losing. PSH showed that one MS is equivalent to one MD so together with Hwang, that's 3 players on the KOR side! 2 players against effectively 3? No chance.
    In fact, PSH's body language was so funny.He was like finding the court too small, trying to move to MS base at the centre, willing Hwang to orbit around him like a satellite...When he had moved to MD base once and a shot came to him, he was like,surprise! 'Oh, here comes the shuttle' He returned once, twice,thrice and won the point.'Wah , MD's so easy to play, no need to run all over court when you have MS experience.Some more can wear specs for fun.'(He removed that non-badminton weapon right after the match)
    Come to think of it...would PSH wear specs to play LD in AE08? That might not be a bad idea,since judging from LD's funny request in HK07,anything plastic can deflect his focus!)
    i totally agree with you...the korean pairs, although they are called as scratch pairs; are not scratch players...they are four good and amazing players...whether they are scratch pairs or not, the chances of winning are the same...coz they are all good players...kkk/tbh in fact gained new experiences from this loss..they had the chance to actually feel how to handle a pair that they have never encountered before..the curious feelings, the doubtness..everything..they may not be in their best form when playing with the korean, but hey, it is not fair to say that based on this, kkk/tbh will fail in their every encounters with other pairs, right...(i said this coz they are people who say that "based on their performance against the korean scratch pair, they definitely unable to defend their all england title"...huhu)...and it is definitely unfair to say that the loss is humiliating...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by badMania View Post
    LOL...with nothing worth discussing here, its interesting how ppl now focus on the high-fives and make it into a big issue....
    Thats alfa's.
    Should be interesting to have that small issue as a topic.

Each of us hold different perceptions.So just hold to what we believe.
    IT is simple.yes.simple

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cute_tbh View Post
    i totally agree with you...the korean pairs, although they are called as scratch pairs; are not scratch players...they are four good and amazing players...whether they are scratch pairs or not, the chances of winning are the same...coz they are all good players...kkk/tbh in fact gained new experiences from this loss..they had the chance to actually feel how to handle a pair that they have never encountered before..the curious feelings, the doubtness..everything..they may not be in their best form when playing with the korean, but hey, it is not fair to say that based on this, kkk/tbh will fail in their every encounters with other pairs, right...(i said this coz they are people who say that "based on their performance against the korean scratch pair, they definitely unable to defend their all england title"...huhu)...and it is definitely unfair to say that the loss is humiliating...
    It is humiliating not because kkk/tbh and fuzzy are bad or lack of skills but how they underestimated their opponent once again and got beaten is rather disappointing for fans. I think KKK/TBH should have had enough lessons to learn from many of the previous defeats by unknown pairs (the Japanese and Taiwanese) and they still couldn't set their mind straight this time.

And yes, they are scratch players and that's no doubt, even if they are good player by itself, but it shouldn't be better than 2 good players that paired together for a long time. Especially PSH, it is obvious that he got into wrong position many times but the Korean still managed to win the game.

Anyhow, congrats Malaysia for winning 1st place and hope they will do the same in the TC final.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wong8Egg View Post
    It is humiliating not because kkk/tbh and fuzzy are bad or lack of skills but how they underestimated their opponent once again and got beaten is rather disappointing for fans. I think KKK/TBH should have had enough lessons to learn from many of the previous defeats by unknown pairs (the Japanese and Taiwanese) and they still couldn't set their mind straight this time.

And yes, they are scratch players and that's no doubt, even if they are good player by itself, but it shouldn't be better than 2 good players that paired together for a long time. Especially PSH, it is obvious that he got into wrong position many times but the Korean still managed to win the game.

Anyhow, congrats Malaysia for winning 1st place and hope they will do the same in the TC final.
    Pretty good observations... I started to believe if any Men single players who paired up with a "usual" double player (eg : LD + CY or PG + MLH etc) can have no problem to defeat them. Which in other way I believe it wont be happened for other top pairs like MK/HS or FHF/CY..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Very good effort in id-ing the people...

Quote Originally Posted by hcyong View Post
    I can't name all the Korean & Japanese girls in the photo (see bottom http://www.badmintonforum.com/vb/sho...=52597&page=29). Can someone fill in the blanks or correct me?

KOR:
    (top left to right) Coach, Lee Kyung Won, Lee Yun Hwa?, Hwang Hye Youn, Jun Jae Youn
    (bottom) Coach, ... (Ha Jung Eun, Kim Min Jung, who else)? can't tell one from another, Lee Hyo Jung

JPN:
    (top left to right) Coach, Park Joo Bong, Miyuki Maeda, Yu Hirayama, Eriko Hirose, ?? (singles or player?)
    (bottom) Kaori Mori, Aki Akao or Tomomi Matsuda?, AA or TM?, Suetsuna, Reiko Shiota, Kumiko Ogura

..hcyong, you pretty much had everyone correct for the KOR squad..
    For the JAP squad, Yu Hirayama should be the one on the far right. I don't know who is the gal standing next to Ms. Maeda.
    Bottom row, should be KM, Ms. Suetsuna, Ms. Masuda and then Ms. Akao...and then of course, everyone's, @ BC, fave..
    yannie, (where is that young lady), mind filling in the rest of the forgotten ones..
    and event should be able to id the KOR squad players, even coaches/managers, with a blink of an eye..
    Last edited by ctjcad; 02-26-2008 at 06:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad View Post

..hcyong, you pretty much had everyone correct for the KOR squad..
    For the JAP squad, Yu Hirayama should be the one on the far right. I don't know who is the gal standing next to Ms. Maeda.
    Bottom row, should be KM, Ms. Suetsuna,
    She could be Imabeppu........I could be wrong

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JPN:
    (top left to right) Coach, Park Joo Bong, Miyuki Maeda, Kaori Imabeppu, Eriko Hirose, Yu Hirayama
    (bottom) Kaori Mori, Satoko Suetsuna, Tomomi Matsuda, Aki Akao, Reiko Shiota, Kumiko Ogura

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The one beside Lee Hyo Jung is probably Kim Moon Hi.

But where is Hwang Yu Mi? I thought she was in the squad?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly. I think PSH is not a good doubles player, he is kind of too slow. But the Mas pair really sucked in the 1st game. WCH and XXZ are better than PSH when playing doubles.

Quote Originally Posted by samuel882 View Post
    Pretty good observations... I started to believe if any Men single players who paired up with a "usual" double player (eg : LD + CY or PG + MLH etc) can have no problem to defeat them. Which in other way I believe it wont be happened for other top pairs like MK/HS or FHF/CY..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

about park sung hwan,i think he did have a future in doubles.what is his age actually?Thats can be a factor.

Like how Wch n Th got potential in doubles.i mean they played doubles n then,win...
    That sounds good.But they are too late to be 'juniors' in doubles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by samuel882 View Post
    long time no see this older brother.hello brother samuel!

Not every singles can play doubles.not every doubles can play singles
    but that does happen.
    Psh can play doubles quite well.

n kkk can play singles with a confidence.he had never played alone on court in international stage.but in certain time,i can see him played alone after let tbh stand n see his game.thats good but quite dangerous.it can affect both
    of them.He need to learn when to play alone.

n about creating unexpected pairs,ask Koreans.
    they did very well.i mean really well.
    Not many of their doubles in world top 10 but when we are talking about producing good doubles,korea rocks man!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Conversion from singles to doubles is always possible, Tian Bingyi, Christian Hadinata and Tan Yee Khan were all very good singles players.

Conversion from doubles to singles is probably not possible, the closest I've seen is Razif Sidek and Park Joo Bong. Razif won the Commonwealth Games bronze and Park was runnerup is Korea Open once, losing to Misbun. Too much space to cover, just look at how Lee Yong Dae got confused .....

I thought PSH played decently in doubles, though I agree WCH is better. Then again, WCH started in doubles until Commonwealth Games 1998.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

have u ever seen kkk played as single?

Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 LastLast